• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile Tests $45k D'Augostino Monoblocks

John Atkinson

Industry Insider
Reviewer
The factory supplied measurements would be interesting to see, to understand what performance they intended from their amp, but I guess that can’t happen.

Apologies for the tardy response. The distortion measurements supplied by the factory for the sample that I measured were taken at high powers and were basically identical to my own measurements.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile

Galliardist

Major Contributor
Apologies for the tardy response. The distortion measurements supplied by the factory for the sample that I measured were taken at high powers and were basically identical to my own measurements.

John Atkinson
Technical Editor, Stereophile
Thanks.
That at least means only one of the three amps reviewed/tested had its bias drift, rather than two of them, which is a positive.

It also suggests that the amp as measured passed quality control with those measurements as they sent out their result - either sloppiness, or deliberate choice/design.

If your suggestion is correct for the cause AND it is a deliberate choice, presumably every technician ever likely to service one of these amps would need to know to bias the output stage as intended - now that would be odd...

HammerSandwich

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unbelievable. I have plenty of amplifiers with switchable ranges on the power meters. Not hard to have a x1, x10, x100 switch and a proper log scale.
Serious meter aficionados will add the Stereo Power Monitor - 100% analog! - complete with matching steampunk casework, available next year for only $11k.

/s, I hope.

Top Bottom