• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Stereophile Amplification Product of the Year

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
That was interesting, thank you. So there are two Audio Note companies, one original founded by a humble-sounding dude in Japan, and one derivative set up by an apparent arsehole in the UK. I don't often get into audio industry politics but I'm mildly disappointed that Kondo-san didn't go legal in the UK jurisdiction to secure the name. I have a soft spot for Japanese culture on many levels, particularly dedication to craft and usually emphasis on courtesy and honourable interpersonal relations. Anyway, looks like a couple of Stereophile reviewers have business history with the UK guy, which may be sufficient explanation for the award consideration.
I was thinking exactly the same thing. My respect is more for the Japanese side. I don't sympathise with Audio Note UK.

SKBubba

All that distortion magically enhances Duane Allman's sweet guitar on Elizabeth Reed, taking it to another level.

(Might be too much for Dick Dale, though.)

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
But there are more expensive amps, much more expensive they reviewed and those buy ads too. In this case even greed doesn't answer the question unless AN offered some backroom deal for the honor.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought in terms of innovation, Manley's 300B SE/PP was such. It had either parallel 300Bs for 12 watts or one each in push/pull for 24 watts. Also had adjustable feedback going from 0 to 10 db. You could do all the switching hot while listening to the amp. He originally offered it for not so much money under his VTL name. It was offered later under the Manley name for something like $3500 a pair. In SET mode it offered typical performance though with twice the power.

Of course I think one could put one of these in front of a real power amp, load it with a power resistor and get that sound if that is what you want. Without needing horns or something.

levimax

Major Contributor
I thought in terms of innovation, Manley's 300B SE/PP was such. It had either parallel 300Bs for 12 watts or one each in push/pull for 24 watts. Also had adjustable feedback going from 0 to 10 db. You could do all the switching hot while listening to the amp. He originally offered it for not so much money under his VTL name. It was offered later under the Manley name for something like $3500 a pair. In SET mode it offered typical performance though with twice the power.

Of course I think one could put one of these in front of a real power amp, load it with a power resistor and get that sound if that is what you want. Without needing horns or something.
Your not thinking about SET amps correctly. I see discussions with people bragging about how little power their SET's make... somehow less is more in this world. And no true SET believe would ever mess around with PP, kills all the even order harmonics, introduces crossover distortion, and in general kills the magic.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wonder if anyone has done a VST plugin with an eye toward hi-fi listening of this type?

There are plenty of ways to create harmonic distortion digitally, there have been 'tube emulators' in software for decades now.

Sometimes software companies will even take vintage gear and try to characterize the dynamic / nonlinear aspects of the distortion and FR and put it into software.

For $15K you could probably get someone to do that on this device, and then sell copies of the plugin for $15 each, and it would probably sound the same.

Is it glamorous or "magical" at that point? No, but it should sound pretty much the same.

garyrc

I don't get it.

How could such a thing win Stereophile Amplification Product of the Year?

levimax

Major Contributor
I wonder if anyone has done a VST plugin with an eye toward hi-fi listening of this type?

There are plenty of ways to create harmonic distortion digitally, there have been 'tube emulators' in software for decades now.

Sometimes software companies will even take vintage gear and try to characterize the dynamic / nonlinear aspects of the distortion and FR and put it into software.

For $15K you could probably get someone to do that on this device, and then sell copies of the plugin for $15 each, and it would probably sound the same.

Is it glamorous or "magical" at that point? No, but it should sound pretty much the same.
As @Blumlein 88 mentioned for $2.00 you can put a 4 ohm resistor in series with the speakers and get 90% of the SET effect. Distortion is over rated in my experience as it is hard to hear with actual music playing below very high levels.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Your not thinking about SET amps correctly. I see discussions with people bragging about how little power their SET's make... somehow less is more in this world. And no true SET believe would ever mess around with PP, kills all the even order harmonics, introduces crossover distortion, and in general kills the magic.
All of that was Manley's reason for making that SET. Some people said he couldn't design a good SET with magic. So he made one. Plus he made it so you could flip a switch and go from push-pull to single ended with the same tubes and compare. It was well received in reviews, but of course it didn't have enough of a magic story of an old Japanese master toiling away in a Bhuddist temple or something. Plus a double whammy of it not being expensive enough to be serious. So you can copy the performance of an SET, but you cannot copy what is in the mind of someone who prefers them.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In this case even greed doesn't answer the question unless AN offered some backroom deal for the honor.
Well, why is this so hard to believe? It’s an advertising company! It is what they do for money.

You don’t even know how often we get emails for advertising companies for magazines in our niche market with the happy message that we’ve been selected as top x company for reason y. To actually get featured as such the only thing you have to do is pay some money. If you don’t somebody else will.

Keith_W

Major Contributor

There was a thread on ASR a few months back where someone demonstrated that a SET produces a spray of harmonics as it nears clipping, but below that it remains clean. The problem with all harmonic distortion VST's I know of is that the added harmonics are constant no matter what the volume level.

As mentioned by others in the thread, the nice glow of valves and the backstory of some elderly Japanese guy hand-winding transformers out of silver that he smelted himself in a Buddhist temple also contributes to what you perceive. But then, this is Audio Note UK, i.e. something that Peter Q stole from Kondo. It's as Japanese as sushi made in London by an English chef.

I have no problem with added harmonic distortion if the result sounds pleasing. In fact, I do it - I have a harmonic distortion VST turned on in my system all the time. I do have a problem with paying multi-thousand $$$ for it, and misleading marketing that claims it is low distortion when it is not.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The problem with all harmonic distortion VST's I know of is that the added harmonics are constant no matter what the volume level.
Oh, not at all, check out varietyofsound, they're quite dynamic in that regard.

I do have a problem with paying multi-thousand $$$ for it, and misleading marketing that claims it is low distortion when it is not.
Agree.

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Unfortunately, I have no way of knowing whether some of the opinion leaders have any listening experience with 300B SET amplifiers in a appropriate setup. I take it with a grain of salt. :)

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
When I started PA I was persuaded by the loudspeaker manufacturer ( horns) that I should pair them with valve amps, Allnic the owner had a reputation in Germany for ‘Silverweld`’( should have asked what kind of reputation) , I had here their 300b set, 300B push-pull and another configuration 300B again something or other they were absolutely rubbish.
Possibly if you restricted your listening to a girl and guitar but otherwise just hopeless, there were reliability/quality control issues too, they lasted six months and that was five and half months too long.
You could literally not leave the room when those amps were ‘on’, awful.
Keith

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
put a 4 ohm resistor in series with the speakers and get 90% of the SET effect
I never tried it, but if you parallel a diode/resistor across that resistor you might get the distortion, too!

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I never tried it, but if you parallel a diode/resistor across that resistor you might get the distortion, too!
If you want unmistakable distortion you can try a zener diode, and resistor. Ha!

computer-audiophile

Major Contributor
Silverweld
I think you mean Silvaweld :)

Picture is from the homepage. I have no own experience with these amps.

3.JPG

Top Bottom