• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Starkrimson® Ultra Amplifier Modules -- 250/500W into 8/4ohm

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is what a customer wrote on another forum.

"To compare with another well-regarded Class D amp, I did some track by track comparisons with the Purifi-powered NAD c298. The NAD brings a warmer signature than the Ultra, with more prominent bass output. Like the Ultra, the NAD provides great resolution and coherence, but each instrument is less prominent and more part of a whole. And while the NAD provides plenty of upper midrange and treble extension, its overall sound is one of solidity rather than airiness. If the Ultra is a front row experience, the NAD Purifi is the sound from the middle of the concert hall. These are both great amps that should forever erase concerns about class D as audiophile devices. Which amp is "best" comes down to preference and system matching.

To get a sense of how the Ultra plays with different equipment, I subbed in some smaller, less expensive speakers (B&W DM601 S2) as well as a solid state preamp (Schiit Freya S). The B&Ws sounded great with the Ultra, and in a nearfield setup they paired with the Ultra to deliver a strong soundstage and accurate voicing. The Freya S was a pleasant surprise - while it didn't deliver all of the synergy of the Rogue preamp, it was surprisingly capable in delivering a transparent view into what the Ultra can deliver. With the less expensive solid state preamp the Ultra's top end energy was more prominent, but not uncomfortably so. If you're stepping up to the Ultra from a lower-cost system, it will play well with your current gear.

So that's it - a fantastic amplifier with amazing capabilities for a great price. When it comes time to choose power for my next pair of speakers the Ultra will be on my short list. Thanks again to Leo for giving me a chance to experience it."
What is your explanation for that? Load dependent response, or...?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Here is what a customer wrote on another forum.

"To compare with another well-regarded Class D amp, I did some track by track comparisons with the Purifi-powered NAD c298. The NAD brings a warmer signature than the Ultra, with more prominent bass output. Like the Ultra, the NAD provides great resolution and coherence, but each instrument is less prominent and more part of a whole. And while the NAD provides plenty of upper midrange and treble extension, its overall sound is one of solidity rather than airiness. If the Ultra is a front row experience, the NAD Purifi is the sound from the middle of the concert hall. These are both great amps that should forever erase concerns about class D as audiophile devices. Which amp is "best" comes down to preference and system matching.

To get a sense of how the Ultra plays with different equipment, I subbed in some smaller, less expensive speakers (B&W DM601 S2) as well as a solid state preamp (Schiit Freya S). The B&Ws sounded great with the Ultra, and in a nearfield setup they paired with the Ultra to deliver a strong soundstage and accurate voicing. The Freya S was a pleasant surprise - while it didn't deliver all of the synergy of the Rogue preamp, it was surprisingly capable in delivering a transparent view into what the Ultra can deliver. With the less expensive solid state preamp the Ultra's top end energy was more prominent, but not uncomfortably so. If you're stepping up to the Ultra from a lower-cost system, it will play well with your current gear.

So that's it - a fantastic amplifier with amazing capabilities for a great price. When it comes time to choose power for my next pair of speakers the Ultra will be on my short list. Thanks again to Leo for giving me a chance to experience it."

I can not personally comment, I can only go based on what customers say.

See here for a lot of other comparisons:
So basically, this is a claim with no evidence.

Your engineering is great, so I'd strongly urge you to not sully it.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My amps have higher bandwidth. It's not load dependency as my amps are not load dependent and neither are the purifi modules.
I'm not sure how higher bandwidth accounts for differences well within the audible range.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
So basically, this is a claim with no evidence.

Your engineering is great, so I'd strongly urge you to not sully it.

I agree, but I would also think that the subjective collective opinion of many individuals and all the awards also backs up the engineering.

OP
orchardaudio

orchardaudio

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Audio Company
From @SIY objective article here:

Compared at 20kHz the distortion is about 7x less.

1701952053231.png

1701952079773.png

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I agree, but I would also think that the subjective collective opinion of many individuals and all the awards also backs up the engineering.
No offense, but we're pretty doggone cynical here about awards and subjective reviews.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
From @SIY objective article here:

Compared at 20kHz the distortion is about 7x less.

View attachment 332257

View attachment 332258
That's more like what we want to see. I still doubt human ears hear those tiny differences, but the measurements stand by themselves.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Did we already see a graph of output noise with input shorted?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
That's more like what we want to see. I still doubt human ears hear those tiny differences, but the measurements stand by themselves.
Also note this excerpt:

For both of these amplifiers (this was a comparison with Purifi), regardless of where they were inserted in my system, I could discern no difference in the sound, nor was there any difference compared to some pretty fine conventional linear amplifiers that I’ve used recently. No matter what sort of music I played — from acoustic jazz to Americana-folk to electronic progressive rock, whether my own minimally miked uncompressed recordings or highly produced loud studio rock — the amplifiers did exactly what they were supposed to, noiselessly, without stress or strain, and in a perfectly transparent way. Some might complain that this reduces the role of amplification to mere appliances—that’s fine with me, I want to listen to music, not to my amplifier.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Some might complain that this reduces the role of amplification to mere appliances—that’s fine with me, I want to listen to music, not to my amplifier.

Since I never looked at electronics as anything but appliances, none of that upsets me.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
It's in the dealer's forum, and it's his thread, so I have no problem with introducing subjective reviews here. He's also provided objective data here, which is usually found in the review threads. I personally think the back and forth with Stuart adds some measure of credibility compared to typical manufacturing marketing.

Whatever - Don

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'll give Stuart a pass because it is a really good amplifier.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I'll give Stuart a pass because it is a really good amplifier.
A pass? I think he did the usual Stuart thing in challenging the subjectiveness, no pass needed for Stuart being Stuart. :) Neat that Orchard found his review to provide objective data and close the loop. Orchard was careful to say the subjective opinions came from customers and other articles. I am inclined to leeway in this (Desperate Dealers) sub-forum, and when reasonably challenged Orchard provided a reasonable response. Personally I'm impressed all the way around. Probably just me.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
A pass? I think he did the usual Stuart thing in challenging the subjectiveness, no pass needed for Stuart being Stuart. :) Neat that Orchard found his review to provide objective data and close the loop. Orchard was careful to say the subjective opinions came from customers and other articles. I am inclined to leeway in this (Desperate Dealers) sub-forum, and when reasonably challenged Orchard provided a reasonable response. Personally I'm impressed all the way around. Probably just me.
Lol I meant Orchard. But in any event I agree.

Top Bottom