• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitor Audio Bronze 2 VS Genelec 8030C

CaptainTerror

Hello, I currently have a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 2 connected to an Onkyo integrated amplifier that I would like to replace with Genelec 8030C connected to a DAC/preamp like the Topping EX5.
I have several questions about this.

Firstly, here is my listening environment :

- 12m2 room (3x4m)
- the speakers are placed on a stand about 5-10cm from the rear wall
- I listen to music from about 2m away, sometimes a little less

Does anyone have the measurements of the Monitor Audio in order to compare them to the Genelec?
I've searched all over the internet but couldn't find anything...
Do you think that the Genelec would be a good evolution of my system associated with the Topping EX5?
According to the tests carried out by Amirm it appears that they are excellent active speakers but I would like to know your opinion on my current system.

Then, at a listening distance of 2m, would I have parasitic noises from the amps/power supply integrated into the Genelec?
I have an SVS SB 1000 Pro subwoofer which I'm happy with but it produces a slight high pitched noise coming from the amp or power supply in the back, even at minimum volume and without a cable connected.
Is there a risk of having the same problem with Genelec or is it a manufacturing defect?

Finally, what would be the most suitable settings for my subwoofer associated with Genelec (if I take them)? SVS recommends a low pass filter frequency at 60Hz and a low pass filter slope at 24dB/octave for this model (https://www.svsound.com/pages/merlin). Does that seem right to you?

I hope this is the right forum to ask these questions. :/

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The best way to approach this is to ask why you want to change speakers? Whats the objective, what are you not satisfied with? (Hopefully its not purely because the Genelecs measure better).
Sometimes there may be other solutions for better sound. Often in room measurement in a compromised space can be more useful than speaker measurements.

I use a denon avr with audyssey in a bedroom with Genelec 8040, sometimes Kali IN6. Audyssey/DSP made a bigger difference than speaker choice.

OP
C

CaptainTerror

Well there are several reasons.

The first is simply that I seek to obtain the best possible results, so I don't see what's weird about wanting to increase your system with products that are objectively better...
Then, having read a lot of topics on the forum, I know that all tastes are in nature and that it is not my subjective opinion that will say if my speakers sound good or not, that's why I spent a lot of time watching tests.
I bought my Monitor Audio only according to the opinions of others and without any test carried out on it, so I can't say if these are good or not.
I just want a sound that is as close to reality as possible, neutral, faithful to the source, with controlled distortion and good sonic dynamics. I don't want any bump or dip in the frequency curve that's too exaggerated in order to give a "wow" effect.

As for my current speakers, I find them generally good (which means nothing without testing and point of comparison), however there are a few points that I would like to improve and that will also involve replacing my amp integrated :

- there is a slight background noise that I hear in my speakers (and which certainly comes from my amp) that I would like to remove, it doesn't bother me during the day but when listening at very low volume at night I can hear it
- speaking of low volume, it just happens that it gets better as I increase the power, but I would like to take full advantage of the content listened to even at modest power. I don't know if it's just the amp, the speakers or both.
- I also often listen at rather high volume and sometimes I have the impression that the sound becomes slightly muddy, which is certainly due to too much distortion. However, I don't make the walls shake...
- I find the sound a bit too directive. I know this is an area where most speakers struggle but if possible I would like to have better.

I think I have detailed well what bothers me and what I would like to change. Even though I know I would never get perfect sound, that's not the point.

As for the DSP, I agree with you but there are also several points that cause me problems and that make me say that a combo active speakers + preamp will be more suitable for my situation, but I can deceive.

I don't want to CONSTANTLY need my PC! Some products have built-in DSPs but most require the use of a computer, but I want to keep it simple. If only one use of the PC is necessary to measure, configure the loudspeakers and the equalization profile can then be saved directly in the active loudspeakers or the amp/preamp, why not.
But if I have to turn on my tower each time to be able to take advantage of the calibration, that won't be possible, and I don't yet want to go into further explanations on this subject...

I actually thought of a home cinema amplifier with an integrated DSP but most of the tests carried out here show that the performances are rather below average without the calibration switched on with a very average signal-to-noise ratio, and it seems that this ratio decreases even more with the DSP activated so it will not be possible for night listening...
In addition, it seems to me to be a waste of money to spend more than 1000€ on a home cinema amp if it is only to use the preamp + DSP part with only a pair of speakers whereas an amp/preamp stereo will do better for much less.

So unless you know of a preamp + dac with an efficient built-in calibration system AND that doesn't constantly require the use of a PC, I think a powered speaker + preamp duo will do just fine for me. Maybe a miniDSP Flex or something like that would do just fine, but their calibration system seems rather complicated to me and I don't know if I can save the corrections made by Dirac Live directly in the product or if I will have to go through my computer each time...

I chose the Genelec 8030C + Topping EX5 duo because it seems to meet my expectations, they both have excellent measurements and they are also relatively affordable.
I intend to change everything anyway so I wanted to know if the differences between the two systems presented are significant (in the good sense of the term) or on the contrary very weak and in which case, what are my alternatives taking into account everything I said above.

Thank you to all the brave ones who will have read me until the end. :p
I'm in no rush, take your time. :)

P.S. : I would really like to be able to compare measurements made on the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 with other speakers to find out what they are really worth.
P.P.S. : Translated with Google, I am French so by nature very bad in foreign languages.

unpluggged

- there is a slight background noise that I hear in my speakers (and which certainly comes from my amp) that I would like to remove, it doesn't bother me during the day but when listening at very low volume at night I can hear it
Genelecs hiss noticeably at short distances (at 2 m it should be OK).

- speaking of low volume, it just happens that it gets better as I increase the power, but I would like to take full advantage of the content listened to even at modest power. I don't know if it's just the amp, the speakers or both.
This looks to have more to do with perceived loudness, and can be solved by using loudness compensation functions, if your amp or source has such. The Genelecs themselves have no such function. They might sound a bit clearer at low volumes, though.

- I also often listen at rather high volume and sometimes I have the impression that the sound becomes slightly muddy, which is certainly due to too much distortion. However, I don't make the walls shake...
This could be improved on due to Genelec's lower distorsion, but you should be aware that 8030C cannot deliver high SPLs, but this might not be much of an issue in a room of your size.

- I find the sound a bit too directive. I know this is an area where most speakers struggle but if possible I would like to have better.
If you mean directivity in the sense that is commonly used to refer to sound output as a function of frequency and angle from the speaker's acoustic axis, the corresponding measurements available here could help you make your decision.

Overall, though, the Genelecs will be an improvement over your current setup.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Monitor Audio Bronze 2
Page 3, Lab Report;

1683434643984.png

JSmith

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The best way to approach this is to ask why you want to change speakers? Whats the objective, what are you not satisfied with? (Hopefully its not purely because the Genelecs measure better).
Sometimes there may be other solutions for better sound. Often in room measurement in a compromised space can be more useful than speaker measurements.

I use a denon avr with audyssey in a bedroom with Genelec 8040, sometimes Kali IN6. Audyssey/DSP made a bigger difference than speaker choice.
Was about to suggest the same. A Denon AVR-X3700 or 3800 with Audyssey properly dialed-in and DEQ would bring much improvement , even with the current set of speakers.. of course same with the Genelec is likely to be better ...

Peace.

OP
C

CaptainTerror

Thanks for your suggestions.

I imagine that I could orient myself towards a Denon X3700H, yes... THE question that scares me a little: will I hear a hiss in my speakers (on the Monitor Audio that I currently have) Or a hum coming from the amp? My Onkyo TX-8220 produces both of these sounds so as long as the Denon isn't louder I'm fine with that. If I can listen to music at night in silence without being bothered by these extraneous noises, that shouldn't be a problem for me.

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sounds like there is an issue with a component or cable in your existing system if you have hiss. Have you tried working it out?

Active speakers are generally more prone to noise/hiss, particularly with poor quality sources.

The Genelec/Denon combo works well as you can fine tune gain in both to combat any hiss. Also the Genelecs have auto on and auto standby function so no hiss when not in use. The Genelec grilles are great as I have them in a high traffic position.

OP
C

CaptainTerror

Sounds like there is an issue with a component or cable in your existing system if you have hiss. Have you tried working it out?
I contacted SVS and they sent me a new amp for my subwoofer. I changed it and the noise went away.
I must say that they were extremely responsive, I received an answer only a few hours after contacting them and I did not have to pay anything.

And as I said previously, I'm thinking of getting a Denon home cinema amplifier to replace my Onkyo TX-8220. I couldn't find any tests for the latter but in my opinion it really isn't very good, especially at low volume. I have a slight background noise, the device hums and strangely, I even recently noticed how certain frequencies could be altered under a certain sound level. I tested with my Sennheiser HD560S connected directly to the Onkyo's headphone amplifier and when I gradually turn up the volume I clearly hear an improvement in sound and above all a fairer balance... on mid-treble frequencies! In the bass I can understand, but even in the higher frequencies the difference is clearly audible, I was amazed!
I therefore suppose that a high-end amp at around 1500€ should be able to do better, especially with the help of the integrated acoustic correction.

Top Bottom