• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SPL Phonitor X Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I would be keen to see if SPL responds to this. There was a video on their site where a Phonitor model had "pegged" the AP525 while measuring SINAD - some 113dB+

I have a Phonitor E (which i think is sonically the same as the X) running an HD800s in balanced mode and I am fairly happy. But then again, I guess both 100dB and 113dB SINAD are below my hearing threshold / resolving threshold of my Headphones.

I suspect they'll keep it here where no one will read it rather than have it appear in the MSM.

Does anyone else think it's a little unscientific to present the results of testing on 'used' gear with an unknown history?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Does anyone else think it's a little unscientific to present the results of testing on 'used' gear with an unknown history?
This was refurbished and certified to be within factory spec. It was not an item bought on ebay or something.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Initially I too suspected a botched job on the unit tested, but even the manufacturer doesn't state anything in this direction.

Rockfella

Forum Donor
Lucky me. :cool:
Last year, I've bought the RME ADI2-DAC after its test here. Thanks a lot.
When I saw "Made in Germany" and then Amir's conclusion on this one first thing that came to my mind was some RME user will be very happy to read this review.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Now I'm waiting for the "matching" Neumann KH310A to arrive. I'm curious how much improvement they will be.
I'm hoping for "endgame quality" for my slowly aging ears.

don'ttrustauthority

Forum Donor
This was refurbished and certified to be within factory spec. It was not an item bought on ebay or something.
I should have ackknowledged that, but ... we've all bought refurb that is 'certified to be within factory spec' but by whom? By spl?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I should have ackknowledged that, but ... we've all bought refurb that is 'certified to be within factory spec' but by whom? By spl?
This is an open question, I don't know if @Martin has an update from spl he can share. I would have thought spl would have been keen to declare it a botched and /or unauthorised refurb of it was that.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an open question, I don't know if @Martin has an update from spl he can share. I would have thought spl would have been keen to declare it a botched and /or unauthorised refurb of it was that.

I do not believe the Phonitor X I purchased was refurbished by anyone. The dealer, who shall remain nameless, advertised the unit as "manufacturer refurbished." Manufacturer refurbished Phonitor X's are still listed on their website.
refurb.JPG

SPL told me this: "In our database I can see that this Phonitor x was sold to our previous distributor in the USA a few years ago But that’s all info I can find here. He will talk to the distributor and dealer ... to get this solved asap."

SPL has no records indicating the unit was refurbished. Furthermore the unit was represented as having the newer DAC768xs module when it actually contained the older DAC192 module. I think it is a used unit the dealer sold as manufacturer refurbished. Plain and simple - the dealer misrepresented the unit.

It has been returned to the dealer and I am pursuing getting my money back.

Martin

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I do not believe the Phonitor X I purchased was refurbished by anyone. The dealer, who shall remain nameless, advertised the unit as "manufacturer refurbished." They are still listed on their website.
View attachment 119320

SPL told me this: "In our database I can see that this Phonitor x was sold to our previous distributor in the USA a few years ago But that’s all info I can find here. He will talk to the distributor and dealer ... to get this solved asap."

SPL has no records indicating the unit was refurbished. Furthermore the unit was represented as having the newer DAC768xs module when it actually contained the older DAC192 module. I think it is a used unit the dealer sold as manufacturer refurbished. Plain and simple - the dealer misrepresented the unit.

It has been returned to the dealer and I am pursuing getting my money back.

Martin
I hope you succeed! I also think spl should send in a unit for a retest if they believe this one wasn't operating as they expected.

GWolfman

Forum Donor
I wish you success. Buy the RME ADI-2 DAC FS or the RME ADI-2 Pro FS R and everything will be fine.
What more does the Pro version provide other than ADC (for recording)?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

GWolfman

Forum Donor
You have analog input if needed, as well as other things (AES/EBU, SPDIF-out, balanced phones-out). Generally a studio tool, as the back side shows: https://www.thomann.de/de/rme_adi_2_pro_fs_r_black_edition.htm
Second headphone socket, not sure what else.
Is the (internal) software feature-set the same? Or is there a good link that shows a thorough comparison? I watched the SPL video but nothing big really stood out. I'll try looking more...

Top Bottom