• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SPL Phonitor X Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Takanaka

Forum Donor
Is there any major difference between the crossfeed feature ("Phonitor Matrix") vs crossfeed on the RME ADI-2? I see that the Matrix is slightly more granular in terms of choice of angle but other than that everything the Phonitor X can do, so can the RME ADI-2 from what I see.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Is there any major difference between the crossfeed feature ("Phonitor Matrix") vs crossfeed on the RME ADI-2? I see that the Matrix is slightly more granular in terms of choice of angle but other than that everything the Phonitor X can do, so can the RME ADI-2 from what I see.
http://www.rme-audio.de/downloads/adi2dac_e.pdf see page 15. I'm using option 4 but this is, as always, subjective. Most of the time I'm fine without crossfeed TBH, but i'm a "headponehead" anyway ;)

thaddeussmith

I do not believe the Phonitor X I purchased was refurbished by anyone. The dealer, who shall remain nameless, advertised the unit as "manufacturer refurbished." Manufacturer refurbished Phonitor X's are still listed on their website.
View attachment 119320

SPL told me this: "In our database I can see that this Phonitor x was sold to our previous distributor in the USA a few years ago But that’s all info I can find here. He will talk to the distributor and dealer ... to get this solved asap."

SPL has no records indicating the unit was refurbished. Furthermore the unit was represented as having the newer DAC768xs module when it actually contained the older DAC192 module. I think it is a used unit the dealer sold as manufacturer refurbished. Plain and simple - the dealer misrepresented the unit.

It has been returned to the dealer and I am pursuing getting my money back.

Martin

Any update on this? I was just about to buy a "factory refurbished" Phonitor X or Phonitor 2 (sans DAC) from them when I came across this recent conversation.

bberns22

Amirm’s efforts and reviews are very much appreciated; he provides insightful and valuable information to this community of audiophiles. With that said I have noticed occasional oversights (dip switches and their function) and misinformed statements related to the audible impact of certain measured performance characteristics. As none of us are perfect, and we all have biases, I think accepting these reviews as the absolute ‘truth’ represents a lack of critical thinking by the reader. Conclusions, based on a sample of one, should always leave the reader with a sliver of skepticism until such time as analyses of more samples become available.

ALex_hha

Wow, a really huge disappointment. It was in my top list until this moment (((

agnostic

SPL‘s logic is that almost no one will listen to the music at the maximum volume, so when reducing the volume to the audiable range, it can outperforman many others.

Peternz

A big thank you for these measurements and review. I have actually come close to sinking big money into a Phonitor amp. It will now probably never happen.

bvhme

SPL‘s logic is that almost no one will listen to the music at the maximum volume, so when reducing the volume to the audiable range, it can outperforman many others.

I can't turn my Phonitor X volume up over halfway with any of my headphones. My most demanding cans (granted they are all efficient) produce about 95db when at 12'o'clock (halfway).

It makes me wish there was a dip-switch to attenuate the potentiometer, or some kind of negative gain.

Also, subjectively, my X amp with the 768xs sounds pretty spectacular with my Empyreans.

AdamG

Proving your point makes it “Science”.
Forum Donor
I can't turn my Phonitor X volume up over halfway with any of my headphones. My most demanding cans (granted they are all efficient) produce about 95db when at 12'o'clock (halfway).

It makes me wish there was a dip-switch to attenuate the potentiometer, or some kind of negative gain.

Also, subjectively, my X amp with the 768xs sounds pretty spectacular with my Empyreans.
Welcome Aboard @bvhme.

Peternz

Tacking a DAC into this kind of product just seems like a really dumb and unnecessary thing to do...

Thanks for reviewing this, it is very useful and money saving for me.

respice finem

Major Contributor
What is your impression of the RME since your purchase? I am looking to get one.
Exactly what I expected, a perfectly built no-nonsense device. Some stuff to play with, like digital filters, several crossfeed modes etc. I recommend reading its manual, it gives a very good overview. In the RME forum, there were some complaints over failing encoders for volume and B/T, mine are working properly (maybe because I'm using the remote mostly). I would certainly buy it again.

BressonWang

It looks pretty but the test results are not pretty. And they sell it for almost 2500$. And they call it a 'reference HPA'. FINE.

BressonWang

Reference - another "high end buzzword" without much real meaning.
A reference is needed for comparisons, so even a very "basic" item can be used as such.
Yep, I agree with that. However, I really like its design, especially the VU meter. It's interesting to see the pointer spinning while listening.

respice finem

Major Contributor
For me it's psychologically interesting.
Round and / or spinning things can strangely fascinate people (and some animals, too).
Maybe this explains the retro / LP / reel-to-reel sentiments?

Ear-Wax

Of the 2,5k Euros price, roughly 30-40% gets "eaten" by direct taxes, alas. As an employer, you have to spend more than double the sums you pay your employees on taxes and health/social security, energy costs >0,30€/kWh and so on. This is the "curse" of companies that stick to manufacturing in Germany, and it isn't getting better.
This is a poor excuse. RME delivers better value for less than half the price.

respice finem

Major Contributor
This is a poor excuse. RME delivers better value for less than half the price.
Maybe, but this poor excuse is good enough for many companies to move production to Asia.
Others must follow later, because, competition...

Sic Mundus creatus est.

Last edited:
Top Bottom