• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SPL Phonitor X Review (DAC & Headphone Amp)

Dueprocess

Very possible. Seems most testing done here was at 4v (https://www.l7audiolab.com/f/measurements-of-spl-phonitor-xe-headphoneamp/), but it's not noted explicitly re: the dynamic range measurements. It wouldn't surprise me if SPL is measuring it at a higher output to reach the quoted spec, either (in that I wouldn't put it past any manufacturer to use relatively unrealistic input voltages in pursuit of marketing material, based on what we've seen here...).

Following up on this... max input / output for the crossover is +32.5 dB. My guess is that is where the dynamic range measurement came from (138 dB per SPL). On one hand, you're unlikely to drive this unit to clipping... on the other, you're unlikely to find a source capable of taking advantage of all of it.

Quite possibly, this crossover would pair very nicely with a low gain Benchmark or Purifi and maybe a DAC capable of high output (like the ADI-2) or a pre-amp capable of decent gain. But, the crosstalk leaves a lot to be desired, in my (uneducated) opinion. I am not sure it is likely to be an audible issue in a realistic listening room, and I have no informed understanding of the impact of crosstalk vs noise vs distortion on signal. But, I guess I can't quite wrap my head around achieving 130 dB of dynamic range if half of that is saturated with crosstalk. What am I missing? (I guess the difference would be crosstalk is accurate signal / inaccurate channel, so its not necessarily degradation, so much as alteration of presentation? I.E. if you were to play mono content, you essentially would have 0 impact d/t crosstalk?)

Last edited:

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Nice to see @Sascha [SPL] respond. I was expecting it after corresponding with them through a support ticket.

Good to see the improved performance of the DAC768xs module I was told this unit had over the DAC192 module it actually did have.

I think SPL's design decision is an interesting one:

Sascha states they chose an analog potentiometer for its sound, and more specifically because it introduces crosstalk. They then add in all kinds of fancy circuitry - which I understand works very well - to allow you to tailor crosstalk to your liking:
View attachment 117841

It seems an odd engineering choice. Would you not want to "maximize crosstalk" (I think Sacha meant minimize) so you feed the cleanest signal with the least amount of crosstalk into their fancy circuitry? Just my observation.

In any case it's good to see SPL standing behind their customer. They have instructed me "to return the unit." SPL will "have a meeting about this <particular> device on Tuesday." Fantastic customer support!

Thanks,
Martin
Was the refurb on this done /endorsed by them?

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That is unknown at this point in time - I do not think it was - I think the source of the device and how it was sold is what their meeting will be about.

Martin
That is key to me in understanding this review and their comments. If it is a legit refurb and represents the older version of the product, then the review stands with that caveat. If they acknowledge its either a botched refurb or not legit it puts a different slant on it.

Either way, I'd like to see a new device provided for testing.

Glad it seems like your particular case is being resolved to your satisfaction.

capitanharlock

Spl seems a very serious company, I appreciated their prompt reply, and I think that, when an electronics measure very differently from expected, contacting the manufacturer before publishing the review could be a good idea.
A more thorough reading of the manual would be welcome too.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally, I would expect any serious reviewer to consult the manufacturer before publishing a review if the test result is not what was expected and leads to questions. Perhaps this is no longer to be expected in the fast-moving times of Internet forum culture – but it makes me wonder. A short research or an inquiry of the manufacturer would certainly have brought some light into the darkness.
I can understand this sentiment if the product was provided by the manufacturer, but this was given to Amir by an ASR member. It is absurd to ask a non-profit, member supported forum like this to always contact the manufacturer before a review is posted if test results do not match the manufacturer's specs, when the unit is sent in by a member. Amir doesn't owe you anything, and I think this speaks to the deference and bias shown to you by other "reviewers" in the past.

This response indicates that you are aware of the influence that ASR has in the audiophile community, so if you are so sensitive to a review of one of your older models than why didn't you send in the XE for a review? Do you stand by all of your products or not?

Also, for a unit that costs over $2k brand new, you couldn't figure out a way to have toggles for the VU meter, gain, and output sources on the front panel? Every time a user wants to change one of these parameters they have to unplug all of their cables, turn the unit over, and then cross-reference the guide to figure out what switches to change. This is obviously inconvenient and you should reasonably expect many users to not figure this out or bother with it.

I suspect the meeting with Amir will go well & will patch up this relationship, and result in re-testing the "X" or the "XE". However, you should learn to accept an ounce of criticism & better your product instead of getting defensive and making excuses.

capitanharlock

ASR doesn’t owe us anything. If I was the boss, in a case like this I would drop an email to the manufacturer, asking for some comments.
As simple as that.
I consider this a fair behaviour, but that’s just me.
And it woul be interesting too.

davidvilla

Goods.
Im Happy with my Phonitor E and my HEDDphone (50ohm), with DIP1 switch ON (+22db) dark without details the HEDDphone dies, DIP1 OFF perfect, no problems for me.
Thank you very much Amir for the equalization of the heddphone, you saved my angry soul.

Last edited:

brandall10

I remember when folks over @ Head-fi freaked out over the original Phonitor years ago, how it was a studio grade product. It's mind-blowing to me these guys exist in the snake oil realm.

Oh well.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Spl seems a very serious company, I appreciated their prompt reply, and I think that, when an electronics measure very differently from expected, contacting the manufacturer before publishing the review could be a good idea.
A "serious" company would publish full set of measurements like I do, not some numbers written on the back of a brochure:

1615600521112.png

They spec THD+N of 0.00085. I measured better than that at 0.000276 which is much better than they show:
1615600554212.png

They show Noise as a-weighted which basically removes any power supply related noise from the measurements. I don't do that. They need to show it with, and without weighting.

Their crosstalk number is just for 1 kHz which is the best case. Crosstalk shrinks with frequency so they need to show it to 20 kHz, again as I did:
index.php

See how they lose almost 30 dB by the time you get to 20 kHz. That aside, they now explain that there is a reason their crosstalk is low so don't know what their spec means.

So no, there was not hardly anything published by the company to indicate what I am measuring was wrong.

A more thorough reading of the manual would be welcome too.
No, a quick usability study with a few potential customers during development would have quickly told them that something as usual as headphone gain must be on the front panel, not as dip switches underneath. Out of 100 to 200 headphones I have tested, there have only been one or two that are that way. If something is not "discoverable," whether it is the customer or a reviewer like me is going to take the device and use it as it comes.

That aside, I have offered to test this box again which will cost me an entire evening. For their part, I am not seeing them offer a modern version for testing.

An example of a serious company is Benchmark Media. I found one measurement issue with their DAC. They instantly sent me a new one and took the customer in for testing. All of their products have full audio precision measurements and graphs including what they mean.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Get well (or hope all is well)!
Thanks. It was a routine but nasty exam (those of you older than 50 can probably guess what it was). Home now and recovering well.

Racheski

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No, a quick usability study with a few potential customers during development would have quickly told them that something as usual as headphone gain must be on the front panel, not as dip switches underneath. Out of 100 to 200 headphones I have tested, there have only been one or two that are that way. If something is not "discoverable," whether it is the customer or a reviewer like me is going to take the device and use it as it comes.
And when you test the "XE", you will run into the same issue (although they did move the VU meter adjustment to the front panel) :

Capture.JPG

GWolfman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks. It was a routine but nasty exam (those of you older than 50 can probably guess what it was). Home now and recovering well.
I'm guessing you had to drink the magic solution in the bottle in preparation? Either way glad you on the mend!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And when you test the "XE", you will run into the same issue (although they did move the VU meter adjustment to the front panel) :
Maybe we skip this generation until they figure out the switch needs to be in the front.....

respice finem

Major Contributor
That said, another category where those "mouse pianos" are still popular, are some upper class studio monitors (Neumann, Genelec). In my old Lehmann Rhinelander HPA you can switch between low gain and high gain, as well as between 2 sources or 1 source+preamp by... computer-style jumpers inside the unit. http://www.sono-audio-pro.com/img/cms/LehmannAudio/442299952_m.jpg
I guess the concept behind is, in a nutshell, "keeps the signal path short and works". And yes it does, but not exactly user-friendly, you have to open the unit.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The circuit can be laid out to allow the gain switching to be in front without lengthening the circuit path. Alternatively a relay can be used to change the gain wherever it needs to be.

respice finem

Major Contributor
Certainly. Looking at it as a "semi-educated layman", perhaps an over-simplified design, on the other hand this is not true for the functionality - without the manual I would be a bit "lost" with such a device. Same goes for my RME, although their "philosophy" is very different, lazy me had to RTFM initially. ;)
Some things will only be adjusted/selected once - but it's better not to do it the wrong way.

Last edited:

don'ttrustauthority

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I thought the HE-6 was a more suitable headphone to test its drive capability, not realizing its impedance is low. If I have time, will test with Sennheiser.
I bought a Vidar from a guy who used it with his HE-6 because he was having a hard time finding something to drive it properly ... I forget what he settled on but he found something and sold me the Vidar.

Top Bottom