• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am sipping Jameson triple distilled Irish whiskey. It is delicious and smooth. I can't remember the exact member that recommended it but thanks for the excellent advice. :D
jameson_irish_whiskey.jpg

Pareto Pragmatic

I am sipping Jameson triple distilled Irish whiskey. It is delicious and smooth. I can't remember the exact member that recommended it but thanks for the excellent advice. :D
That's a tasty drop.

If you like that, consider the jameson stout edition. Very similar, just more "creamy" in texture.

GM3

Yeah it's not bad! Also bought a bottle last week! Thought the half a sip I took tasted great and I had found a new great whisky! :D

Last purchase: Havana Club 7 year old! It's pretty good! If you like smooth, it's really smooth, really easy to drink for 80 proof. Good nice affordable sippin' rum!
*2 thumbs up!*

1711748559620.jpeg

Ouch, just had a sip of that Jameson, and I'm reminded I'm way more a rum guy than whisky guy... I'm really struggling as an alcoholic. First, I barely drink a shooter's worth per day, if that, and not even every day... Embarrassing. And then, for some reason, I have the palate of an 8 year old, and every time I taste spirits, they tend to taste nothing like I remember, nor like I read or hear from reviewers... :facepalm: Hmm... Yeah I think I actually prefer .. Pike Creek 10 years old Canadian Whisky... Maybe it's because they're finished in rum barrels™... Hmm... Yep, really on team Rum & Spiced Rums! (Not Appleton Estate Signature though... Think I'd rather drink mouthwash... And now that I've likely infuriated half the readers, I'll be on my way.. ;)

1711750696213.jpeg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Last purchase: Havana Club 7 year old! It's pretty good! If you like smooth, it's really smooth, really easy to drink for 80 proof. Good nice affordable sippin' rum!
*2 thumbs up!*
It has a interesting flavor profile from what I read so it's a spiced rum.<?> I don't usually drink rum but spiced I can manage. I'll look for it on the shelf at my booze retailer.
rum.png

Hmm... Yeah I think I actually prefer .. Pike Creek 10 years old Canadian Whisky... Maybe it's because they're finished in rum barrels™... Hmm... Yep, really on team Rum & Spiced Rums! (Not Appleton Estate Signature though... Think I'd rather drink mouthwash... And now that I've likely infuriated half the readers, I'll be on my way.. ;)
I've seen this near the Wayne Gretsky whiskey. :D

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
What bourbon that I'm likely to be able to get in the UK would you recommend?

GM3

It has a interesting flavor profile from what I read so it's a spiced rum.<?> I don't usually drink rum but spiced I can manage. I'll look for it on the shelf at my booze retailer.
View attachment 360024

I've seen this near the Wayne Gretsky whiskey. :D
lol nice! Yeah just rum! :) I'm no expert, but the line between both can be a bit fine... For spiced rum, much more added flavors, so the flavors are much bolder, almost overwhelmingly so I would think for someone who prefers something like taste of whisky. And flavors (ex; vanilla, molasses, cinnamon, banana, chocolate, etc.) can definitely vary drastically from one to the other. Most taste sweet, some almost like liquor, but not quite.

Rum in contrast does have some flavor, but it's much more subtle... But again can vary, like the Appleton Estate Signature tastes absolutely nothing like spiced rum; no sweetness, kinda bitter, harsh, etc. probably mostly used for cocktails. Could not sip. Do not want. But some spiced rum can also have less sweetness and/or less 'spice' taste, so being bit closer to plain rum.

The HC7 above, has very little bitterness, like a very light taste, very little alcohol burn, and just subtle flavor afterwards, mainly I think slight vanilla, maybe sort of slight taste of honey? But almost like no ethanol taste; just like a smooth, almost but not quite sweet taste..! Very nice!

Jameson is very smooth too! So they're kinda similar in that regard. Friend had recommended Diplomatico as the best rum he ever tasted, it's quite a bit similar to the HC7 imho, but even smoother, even less sweet; almost no 'sweetness', no vanilla taste, almost like a more 'pure' rum... For $63cdn, bit underwhelmed, but I can see the appeal, but personally, at ~$40cdn the HC7 is great, and for my unrefined palate even cheaper spiced rums do the trick too!

1711760990166.jpeg

Pareto Pragmatic

What bourbon that I'm likely to be able to get in the UK would you recommend?

It really depends on what you like, and what you are looking for. I did look at a UK based online retailer (thewhiskyworld.com) and you do have a lot of choices. The prices don't seem too out of line, considering conversion rates all but one of the ones I mention below are about +20% over what I would pay.

For basic but good, Woodford Reserve. Makers Mark is also good, but a bit simple for my tastes. Buffalo Trace is a bit on the lighter side but very popular. Bulliet, that's my go to budget rye, but the bourbon is very good too. The bulliet is the one that is a bit more pricey there than here.

If you search on youtube for ...try channel bourbon..., you will find some irish people trying many bourbons, and sometimes comparing them to scotch or irish or other whiskies. I find those pretty entertaining, and a good source for "wow" reactions.

Enjoy!

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The HC7 above, has very little bitterness, like a very light taste, very little alcohol burn, and just subtle flavor afterwards, mainly I think slight vanilla, maybe sort of slight taste of honey? But almost like no ethanol taste; just like a smooth, almost but not quite sweet taste..! Very nice!
That is attractive for sure... I like a non ethanol beverage. I have had moonshine, home made vodka and grappa that was very strong.
Jameson is very smooth too! So they're kinda similar in that regard. Friend had recommended Diplomatico as the best rum he ever tasted,
It has a cool bottle and label.. like cognac and old USA money...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I went for a nice cool refreshing starry downtown night walk for a few blocks from home and bought this. It's very good albeit very different than the Scotch and Irish Whiskey that I have been sipping for weeks. I think in a few minutes of sipping we will get along just fine.

EDIT: This stuff is horrible to my taste buds. sigh* I'm going to give it way.
7fcdb3c8-9a71-4247-85bf-0f96cbd8ff85-scaled.jpg

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
That sounds like a combo that would drive me to drink.
It reallly needs a wide mouth cocktail glass with ice and ginger ale in it with NON-squeezed lime wedgeS on the side not for the juice but for that flammable stuff that comes off the rind when it is sprayed. It tastes wonderful with sambuca and ginger ale... The vapors alone will make you want this one.

Top Bottom