• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am slurping slowly a sticky thick mixture of The Famous Grouse Blended Scotch mixed with Blarney's Country Cream Cream Liquor. It is very tasty and rich on the tongue.

DavidEdwinAston

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Good God
I am slurping slowly a sticky thick mixture of The Famous Grouse Blended Scotch mixed with Blarney's Country Cream Cream Liquor. It is very tasty and rich on the tongue.
You have started early Dood! :)

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Good God

You have started early Dood! :)
Yes, I actually slept really well for hours which is a special occasion for me and I feel really good now. Between my asthma coughing, night sweats, allergies, crying nightmares that I am told I experience but never remember there always seems to be something preventing a solid sleep for some hours...LoL. I drink a lot of water and fresh squeezed orange juice and to have a treat like this creamy scotch concoction I am sipping is really cool. :D

Shadrach

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I can't recommend this.
P3130401.JPG

A friend brought this back from Portugal and while not really a spirit it's rather good.
P3130400.JPG

Pareto Pragmatic

What's makes it not a true port? I know almost nothing about port, other than I like it.
I won't speak for others, but I will guess what was being referred to in the true/not true port designation.

My experience with port is limited (in variety and in price). But I find Tawny port to be a good drink, a good after dinner/dessert wine. Vintage port is another animal entirely.

Technically, any port from Portgual (more technically the Duoro river valley) is a port. But "port style" wine can be made other places. I assume a lot of those are tawny style.

Vintage port is like a wine, it will age in the bottle. So if you buy a new bottle, you might want to wait 20 years to drink it. Or more. There is not a lot of aging before the bottle.

Tawny port is a blend of pre-aged ports, and will not age in the bottle. It's meant to be consumed NOW. Pre-aged, pre-oxidized.

From my limited experience, tawny ports are good, but of limited complexity compared to vintage. Way cheaper too. But you can get vintage port at reasonable (for wine) prices. I would compare them to non-vintage Champaign versus vintage Champaign. Non-vintage is nice, but vintage with some age? Mind blowing, at least for me.

Not that I do much vintage Champaign, I have only bought one bottle once. But I have mooched off others on occasion!

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
From my limited experience, tawny ports are good, but of limited complexity compared to vintage. Way cheaper too.
I usually buy a LBV, they seem much better than the tawny I've had, for not much more. I'm avoiding vintage as I don't need any more money pits.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
What's makes it not a true port? I know almost nothing about port, other than I like it.
Pareto pretty much hit it: considering a true port being from Portugal. There are many “ports” both ruby and tawny from elsewhere. My first tawny was Australian iirc.
Not that it is a bad thing if it’s not from Portugal; I am assigning no value judgement. :)

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pareto pretty much hit it: considering a true port being from Portugal. There are many “ports” both ruby and tawny from elsewhere. My first tawny was Australian iirc.
Not that it is a bad thing if it’s not from Portugal; I am assigning no value judgement. :)
But this says Product of Portugal on the label?

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't commenting about that product in particular, my statement was that I enjoyed Tawny Ports that weren't from Portugal as well. :)
Ah, I didn't get that. In the EU it's either proper port, or it's called something else.

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wasn't commenting about that product in particular, my statement was that I enjoyed Tawny Ports that weren't from Portugal as well. :)
Just tried finding some of those on sale in the UK, and failed other than some expensive Australian bottles, which wasn't what I was looking for.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Just tried finding some of those on sale in the UK, and failed other than some expensive Australian bottles, which wasn't what I was looking for.
I think, now that you mention Australia, Whisker's Blake Tawny Port was my first one, recommended by a wine shop in San Francisco to go with some Pork Tenderloin. That was a long time ago. Now they just call it Tawny. *shrugs My Time Machine just broke down so I don't know what it was called back then. :p

OP
Soniclife

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think, now that you mention Australia, Whisker's Blake Tawny Port was my first one, recommended by a wine shop in San Francisco to go with some Pork Tenderloin. That was a long time ago. Now they just call it Tawny. *shrugs My Time Machine just broke down so I don't know what it was called back then. :p
My guess is the cost of production and shipping from Australia to the UK makes it a hard sell against real port, so it's never established itself here as a competitive alternative. Shame, I like lots of drinks that are similar to very well known protected styles, but from somewhere else. I also like that established classics are protected so they cannot been made endlessly cheaper, ruining the quality.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I am mixing together Bushmills Irish Whiskey and Rovers Cookies and Cream Cream Liquor. It is very tasty, thick and rich and easily sipped.
images

014910.jpg.thumb.1280.1280.jpg

Top Bottom