• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Ingredients
  • 2 oz Dry Fly Gin
  • 0.5 oz chilled Lillet
  • 2-3 dashes Scrappy's Cardamom Bitters
  • 1 Lemon peel shaving
Directions
  • Pour Lillet into martini glass
  • Add bitters to martini glass
  • Gently rub the rim with, and then place the shaving into martini glass
  • Stir or shake gin with ice
  • Pour cold gin into martini glass
  • Relax and enjoy

DryFlyMartini.jpg

thegeton

Forum Donor
Question for the cocktail imbibers and makers here:

What's the base spirit in a Corpse Reviver No. 3?

I've heard different answers ranging from bourbon/rye to rum from bars in different countries. It seems there's no consensus in that compared to a No. 2 or No. 1.

I loved it with bourbon and was told that was a No. 3 in a highly respectable bar in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh, but every other bar I've ordered it at seems perplexed.

Tequila, allegedly blanco but I prefer a reposado.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Question for the cocktail imbibers and makers here:

What's the base spirit in a Corpse Reviver No. 3?

I've heard different answers ranging from bourbon/rye to rum from bars in different countries. It seems there's no consensus in that compared to a No. 2 or No. 1.

I loved it with bourbon and was told that was a No. 3 in a highly respectable bar in Saigon/Ho Chi Minh, but every other bar I've ordered it at seems perplexed.
By my search, I saw no coherent definition...
The closest thing to a real cocktail I saw involved White Rum and Herbisaint. *shrugs Another variation was Pernod and Champagne along with some other stuff...
None of that seems to work, in my mind.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
By my search, I saw no coherent definition...
The closest thing to a real cocktail I saw involved White Rum and Herbisaint. *shrugs Another variation was Pernod and Champagne along with some other stuff...
None of that seems to work, in my mind.

Strange -- I guess I'll order a No. 2 substituting the gin for bourbon then.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
View attachment 298456

An excellent Corpse Reviver No1 at a Japanese-style classic cocktail bar in Kuala Lumpur.
I've always found it somewhat humorous that several bartenders I've talked to hold the CR1 in contempt while revering the CR2. (Mind, I am making no such value judgement here!"
Calvados, Cognac and Sweet Vermouth reads as a strange cocktail. But here in the States, Brandy based drinks are fairly rare. Most bars I've been in don't even keep a Brandy based cocktail on the menu, and several maybe only have one or two on the shelf for the random pour.
I'm a fan of a good Brandy, though I don't often look at Hennessy or Courvoisier as fitting the bill. There are several nice Amercian offerings I enjoy on occasion, including Argonaut Fat Thumb and Germain Robin. I use Argonaut Spectator for mixing and it makes a very good Vieux Carre. ;)
Perhaps I'll need to track down a nice Calvados to experiment with. :)

BigFKahuna

I've always found it somewhat humorous that several bartenders I've talked to hold the CR1 in contempt while revering the CR2. (Mind, I am making no such value judgement here!"
Calvados, Cognac and Sweet Vermouth reads as a strange cocktail. But here in the States, Brandy based drinks are fairly rare. Most bars I've been in don't even keep a Brandy based cocktail on the menu, and several maybe only have one or two on the shelf for the random pour.
I'm a fan of a good Brandy, though I don't often look at Hennessy or Courvoisier as fitting the bill. There are several nice Amercian offerings I enjoy on occasion, including Argonaut Fat Thumb and Germain Robin. I use Argonaut Spectator for mixing and it makes a very good Vieux Carre. ;)
Perhaps I'll need to track down a nice Calvados to experiment with. :)
Brandy drinks are rare, until you go to order an Old Fashioned in Wisconsin!

Or try this one,

Strathcona Junction

• 1.5 oz Hennessey VS
  • 0.75 oz Falernum
  • 0.75 Lemon
  • 2 Dashes Degroff Bitters
Method: Shake, Double Strain

Glassware: Coupette

Garnish: Expressed and discarded Lemon zest

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 298456

An excellent Corpse Reviver No1 at a Japanese-style classic cocktail bar in Kuala Lumpur.

IMG_20230712_215752.jpg

A great Godfather from the same bar. Perfectly executed classics with small tweaks borne from long experience.

This Godfather had a little amaro in it to cut through the sweetness of the amaretto.

The bar's (rather, bartender -- one guy does everything from making the drinks to washing the glasses every night) Vesper uses a touch of Martini Bianco just to round off the Lillet Blanc a little.

And in Malaysia, who could forget Malaysia's national cocktail, Junglebird.

Flaesh

One of 4200 bottles produced, the last in this city https://www.whiskybase.com/whiskies/whisky/103390/smokestack-vm#whisky-note-holder . Next to the store is "Wine Bar & Restaurant" of the same owners, where I was kindly provided with a table for tasting this whiskey. I traditionally tasted directly from the bottle, the restaurant staff acted like it was normal. Nice (for ~€33) young blend of an Islay and a Highland malt.
1689707997747.jpeg

By the way, in one local whisky chat, photos of an open bottle without glasses and with #straightfromthebottle tag are prohibited as indecent, uncultured, obscene, vile and hostile.

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_20230801_205504.jpg

1978 Oban 19yo bottled by Kingsbury. Incredible. Orchids, lotus, white chocolate, peach cream.

IMG_20230801_211051.jpg

Dried persimmon, rooibos tea, crisp clean malt finish like a concentrated lager. Very fairly priced considering local taxes, the distillery reputation and the vintage.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What are you guys talking about? What means this...vermouth? A good martini is fine if a Vermouth bottle was opened at some distant location while the gin was being shaken. Maybe the next county, but only if the counties are appropriately large.

But then good gin helps.

The olive is necessary, and I don't mind a little extra dirtiness beyond that.

Rick "vodka is for getting drunk" Denney

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pursuant to the brandy discussion, I rarely drink it in a cocktail. But then I rarely drink any spirits in a cocktail. I do like--a lot--Courvoisier VSOP just like it comes out of the bottle.

That said, I will pour some Triple Sec (yes: a liqueur not a brandy) in my margarita mix and I did above advocate for a bit of olive juice in a martini, but every rule has its exceptions.

Rick "who has a tendency to chug sweet mixed drinks, which can be dangerous" Denney

escape2

Nice to see some rum drinkers here. I recently picked up a bottle of Kraken and have been mixing it with Dr Pepper. :)

It's pretty good, but I'm still looking for some other good mixing rum recommendations. Currently looking at Brugal Anejo, Myers's Dark, and Goslings Black Seal. Anyone tried any of these?

I also picked up a bottle of Siesta Key Spiced Rum - it's a very decent sipper.

thegeton

Forum Donor
I recently picked up a bottle of Kraken and have been mixing it with Dr Pepper

This is one of my wife's favorite cocktails, and I have to admit it is pretty tasty....

escape2

This is one of my wife's favorite cocktails, and I have to admit it is pretty tasty....
Yeah, it's nice. Technically I think you're supposed to use Captain Morgan, so that the drink is called Captain Pepper, but Dr Kraken works, too, even though Kraken calls it Doc Oc, I think. :)

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(And yes, still an open offer from me to meet any ASR friends based in/travelling to Singapore -- happy to pour some of my Scotch, or bring you to my favourite craft beer/rum/whisky/cocktail haunts)

IMG_20230805_000523.jpg

Caramel and candied orange zest. Delicious. And reasonably priced for good strength. If only this were more accessible round my parts.

IMG_20230803_225128.jpg

Winter melon, pastry, mangoes, blueberries, sugar cane notes. Lovely.

IMG_20230805_193603.jpg

I've had several excellent 1995 single cask Balvenies from independent bottlers and this distillery bottling is no different. Heather, honey, lemon curd. Then chrysanthemum tea on the finish.

Last edited:

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_20230829_224957.jpg

A local whisk(e)y bar consistently picks some fantastic single casks to my tastes. They pick casks to bottle through a blind tasting panel, leading to some eclectic selections that are not influenced by pandering to the hype of certain vintages and distilleries at any time.

This 7yo undisclosed Indiana bourbon is no exception. Surprisingly subtle and complex tannins, coupled to notes of apple cider and blackberry jam.

Top Bottom