• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Spirits, what you drinking...

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Starting off with a bang!

(ASR friends passing by/in Singapore: open offer for me to pour for you or bring over some wonderful Scotch, or go out for a pint of craft beer)
Consider me visiting you... in spirit! ;)

While I was being a Chef, I worked with a woman from Singapore who was interning here. She used to work at Brewerkz, there... I know nothing about it, but she at least knew her Beer and she could cook!

Cheers!

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Consider me visiting you... in spirit! ;)

While I was being a Chef, I worked with a woman from Singapore who was interning here. She used to work at Brewerkz, there... I know nothing about it, but she at least knew her Beer and she could cook!

Cheers!

Brewerkz is one of the pioneering microbreweries here -- nothing too crazy but straightforward and palatable. I suppose the closest NA analogue would be Anderson Valley, an entry point for those who want to expand their palate beyond stuff like Heineken, but on a much smaller scale. Small world. Great bar scene and for all the grumbling by many local patrons -- generally very well priced for the quality in a high-cost global city.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
It's Mai Tai time!

Near-traditional...
1oz 12 yr Appleton
1 oz Plantation ***
1/2 oz Dry Curaçao
3/4 oz fresh Lime Juice
1/4 oz Orgeat
1/4 oz Turbinado Syrup (1:1)

Shake with Ice and Dump into Old Fashioned glass

Garnish with half lime husk and Garden Mint

IMG_0483.jpg

Edit: Truthfuly, I found you can never have one Mai Tai. :D I tried a second recipe that called for an additional 1/4oz each Curçao and Orgeat... I would not advise this. Not that it wasn't delish in its own right, but the Rum is lost to the other flavors. A true Mai Tai is a celebration of good Rum. My understanding is the original Rum was meant to be a 17 yr Jamaican Pot Still Rum which is no longer available.
Modern Mai Tai recipes that adhere to the basic principle shoot for something which can stand up to the other flavors in the Cocktail while not requiring an extra dose or a Float. (Not saying this is wrong, per se, but it isn't the authentic intent. :) ) Of course, most modern bars are also blending Rums as I did to find a good balance (and possibly also keep the cost down!)
Anyway, that first recipe is a good one and I hope to find some Smith & Cross Navy Strength Rum. (Which I know also blends well with Appleton!) I think that will make an absolute killer Mai Tai.
...Of course, one could go ALL Navy Strength Jamaican Rum and I would challenge you to knock back that second! :p

Last edited:

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's Mai Tai time!

Near-traditional...
1oz 12 yr Appleton
1 oz Plantation ***
1/2 oz Dry Curaçao
3/4 oz fresh Lime Juice
1/4 oz Orgeat
1/4 oz Turbinado Syrup (1:1)

Shake with Ice and Dump into Old Fashioned glass

Garnish with half lime husk and Garden Mint

View attachment 285706

Edit: Truthfuly, I found you can never have one Mai Tai. :D I tried a second recipe that called for an additional 1/4oz each Curçao and Orgeat... I would not advise this. Not that it wasn't delish in its own right, but the Rum is lost to the other flavors. A true Mai Tai is a celebration of good Rum. My understanding is the original Rum was meant to be a 17 yr Jamaican Pot Still Rum which is no longer available.
Modern Mai Tai recipes that adhere to the basic principle shoot for something which can stand up to the other flavors in the Cocktail while not requiring an extra dose or a Float. (Not saying this is wrong, per se, but it isn't the authentic intent. :) ) Of course, most modern bars are also blending Rums as I did to find a good balance (and possibly also keep the cost down!)
Anyway, that first recipe is a good one and I hope to find some Smith & Cross Navy Strength Rum. (Which I know also blends well with Appleton!) I think that will make an absolute killer Mai Tai.
...Of course, one could go ALL Navy Strength Jamaican Rum and I would challenge you to knock back that second! :p
gotta try it.

BigFKahuna

Appleton 12 is my go-to in a Mai Tai, if I add Plantation (controversial these days in the rum world) I will use Xaymaca. Smith and Cross is excellent, as is Black Tot but the mix should somehow emulate the spirit of Appleton 17, which coincidentally is being re-released today! I always use .5 Ferrand Curacao or Clement Creole Shrubb and .5 orgeat, per the Trader's original recipe, and a full ounce of lime.

Attachments

• IMG_2880.jpeg
    IMG_2880.jpeg
    408 KB · Views: 32

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Appleton 12 is my go-to in a Mai Tai, if I add Plantation (controversial these days in the rum world) I will use Xaymaca. Smith and Cross is excellent, as is Black Tot but the mix should somehow emulate the spirit of Appleton 17, which coincidentally is being re-released today! I always use .5 Ferrand Curacao or Clement Creole Shrubb and .5 orgeat, per the Trader's original recipe, and a full ounce of lime.
Curious... does your recipe also call for a Simple Syrup or just Orgeat?

There are so many recipes proliferating for "classic" Mai Tais that its a bit absurd. ;)
If anything that is the one aspect I want to try next time is eliminating the Syrup and using all Orgeat, but not increasing the total sweetening quantity. I was happy with the Acid level using 3/4 oz; still had the right tang I like without being overpowering.
(I used Plantation 3*** just because I had it on hand... I also have some Rhum Clement VSOP which should make a good version, too, though I would still prefer Jamaican for my MaiTai.)

BigFKahuna

Curious... does your recipe also call for a Simple Syrup or just Orgeat?

There are so many recipes proliferating for "classic" Mai Tais that its a bit absurd. ;)
If anything that is the one aspect I want to try next time is eliminating the Syrup and using all Orgeat, but not increasing the total sweetening quantity. I was happy with the Acid level using 3/4 oz; still had the right tang I like without being overpowering.
(I used Plantation 3*** just because I had it on hand... I also have some Rhum Clement VSOP which should make a good version, too, though I would still prefer Jamaican for my MaiTai.)
If I remember correctly Matt Pietrik and Kevin Crossman (spelling?) did some deep dives on the Mai Tai (My #1 fav of all time!). I believe .5 of orgeat is the way to go, with no simple. The first recipe used Appleton 17, later the 15 was used, and later again a mix of Jamaican and Martinique rums, however at that time the Martinique rum was not that with which we are familiar with today, but rather a molasses based instead of sugar cane agricole rum. That is why I like a small portion of Black Tot in the mix, it seems to give me what I think the original Martinique was like. In my imagination, at least. I always use a full ounce of lime and vary the proportions of orange and orgeat. Well, truth be told, I mostly use 1.5 of lime and increase everything else to make a drink that lasts me more than 5 minutes. And no, I don't think I have a problem......

I as well like the Plantation 3 but more so in a Daiquiri, not a Mai Tai. My issue is what the owner of Plantation is trying to do in the rum world in what appears to be a quest for profit rather than maintaining the honesty of what true rum really is. A lot like what might occur in the world of HiFi, I suppose.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
IIRC, Plantation is part of Maison Ferrand. (Ferrand Dry Curaçao) I'm guessing they want to see more Whiskey and Tequila type demand for good Rum than there currently is. But the Plantation product is pretty solid. I just had a Plantation 5yr as an Old Fashioned the other day and it frankly drinks better than some OFs I've had with the Appleton 12.
*shrugs

Several of the recipes I saw had more Orgeat along with some Simple. A few had all Orgeat. Personally, I love that almond flavor so boosting that character in the cocktail is on my to do list.

The recipe I listed above is based on Martin Cate's Smuggler's Cove Mai Tai.

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I quit drinking about 10 years ago. After decades of trying to enjoy it, I find I enjoy not drinking even more. The exception: a single cold Negra Modelo after mowing the yard on a hot day.

BigFKahuna

IIRC, Plantation is part of Maison Ferrand. (Ferrand Dry Curaçao) I'm guessing they want to see more Whiskey and Tequila type demand for good Rum than there currently is. But the Plantation product is pretty solid. I just had a Plantation 5yr as an Old Fashioned the other day and it frankly drinks better than some OFs I've had with the Appleton 12.
*shrugs

Several of the recipes I saw had more Orgeat along with some Simple. A few had all Orgeat. Personally, I love that almond flavor so boosting that character in the cocktail is on my to do list.

The recipe I listed above is based on Martin Cate's Smuggler's Cove Mai Tai.
Ah, the deal with the Devil! Ferrand's Curacao to many is the best one to use in a Mai Tai, especially around here as we have not had access to Clement Creole for over a year now. The issue with many Plantation Rums is the undocumented addition of additives, mostly sugars in various forms but also colouring, and possibly other agents. Alexandre Gabriel is as well buying his way in to the Caribbean rum industry so as to have more say in his ways. I met him, he is a nice guy but his methods are rather controversial.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Technically aperitif wines rather than spirits, I also picked up a bottle of Cocchi Americano and a Tempus Fugit Kina L'aero D'Or...

There are some Corpse Reviver no.2s in my future! :D

The Quinquina offers a bitterness that the Cocchi or Lillet Blanc lack... and which the CR2 really wants imho. One specific recipe I'm interested in uses both the Cocchi and the Tempus Fugit along with a few drops of 4:1 Saline solution (water:salt).

#Eager

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
I tried IIRC three J.Ms 5 years ago. Including drinking VSOP from a bottle in a taxi))
Fun…
It’s been a while since I tried the J.M VSOP. I recall it being pretty solid. I purchased the Clement VSOP earlier this month to try and it is pretty good, too.

For a little while at least, we can still enjoy some good Rum at reasonable prices. I’ve had various Whiskeys that cost way more than most finer Rums, but drink like the absolute worst.

Flaesh

1685047059887.png

This is a blend of approx. equal parts of Langs Rich&Refined and Douglas Laing The King of Scots Blend, ~43 ABV, definetly not bad for ~$14.5\0.7 :cool:
It's lighter than Langs but does not have excessive King of Scots sweetness.

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
View attachment 288207
This is a blend of approx. equal parts of Langs Rich&Refined and Douglas Laing The King of Scots Blend, ~43 ABV, definetly not bad for ~$14.5\0.7 :cool:
Is that USA dollars? That price is unheard of in Canada unless some sort of imported and possibly dubious whiskey or vodka.

Flaesh

Good evening! Cheap (~7.5 USD) ruby port:
1685822028773.png

The coincidence of the bottle throat and the birch trunk is artistically significant in this photograph :cool:

Top Bottom