• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Speaker Sound Quality: Crimping Is Better Than Soldering

Status
Not open for further replies.

BR52

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It can be true, because if you solder wires to a speaker, the solder can go by capillaries in the wire between post and voice coil to stiffen it. Again, good soldering can be learned.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
So subjective and may be limited to our few testers. Meaning I might well hear it differently. Meaning, well....there is no meaning to your post. It is devoid of information.

ctrl

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
We found that crimp speakers exhibited a more natural, bright and transparent sound.
Which would be easily measurable.

Think about how many soldered junctions exist in an amplifier and a passive speaker (crossover, driver itself) and how much influence another properly soldered junction can have.

Soldered speakers, on the other hand, ... lack penetration.
Good Heavens! Thank God I only use soldered cables ;)

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
We found that crimp speakers exhibited a more natural, bright and transparent sound.
Soldered speakers, on the other hand, sound harsh and lack penetration.

You "found" that?

It's funny how people also "find" the exact same things when they put silly magical stickers, "dots" or stones on their gear :D

Sorry to be blunt, but if you don't do this "experiment" double-blind and repeated enough times to account for dumb luck, you'll have no chance of being taken seriously.

Basic knowledge about conductivity and electricity tells us that your odds of proving the claims are slim to say the least.

Killingbeans

Major Contributor
Please check the post sir.
The differences between the two are described in detail here.

It descibes mechanical stress and hypothetical reliability issues.

This part... :
Soldered speakers, on the other hand, sound harsh and lack penetration.

...is the one that's completely and utterly ridiculous.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I don't see a reason to keep this thread open.

For OP, I suggest you look into some of the basics of using controls during subjective testing, then if you decide to try it again you can let us know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom