• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SOUND LIAISON, PCM DXD DSD free compare formats sampler. A new 2.0 version.

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In another forum I received PMs regarding a software I made indicated that some of the 24-bit Sound Liaison demo files in the website below only have 16 valid bits.
Which of our demos files have only 16bit?
Ooh... nice. I'm pretty sure many goldenears noticed much earlier, only didn't want to bother you out of politeness ;-)
Code:
]$ sox -D "a-fool-for-you-carmen-gomes-inc-dxd352-24.wav" -b16 "to_16_bits_no_dither.wav"
]$ sox "to_16_bits_no_dither.wav" -b24 "back_to_24_bits.wav"
]$ sox -m -v1 "a-fool-for-you-carmen-gomes-inc-dxd352-24.wav" -v -1 "back_to_24_bits.wav" "null.wav"
]$ sox "null.wav" -n stats
Pk lev dB       -inf      -inf      -inf
RMS lev dB      -inf      -inf      -inf

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
In another forum I received PMs regarding a software I made indicated that some of the 24-bit Sound Liaison demo files in the website below only have 16 valid bits.
Actually, I wanted to ask. In the readme file you show the results for this file:
Code:
Bit    Count     Percent
0      237226    ...
9      440469    ...
10     729315    ...
So looks like bits 1 through 8 are not used, but if we counting them from 0, shouldn't that be bits 0 through 7?

bennetng

Major Contributor
"0" here means the values are literally stored as 0. Which means a file with only digital silence has 100% of samples at Bit 0.

As for the highest bit, for example, for a 16-bit file format, -32768 is being binned into Bit 15 due to the asymmetry, to avoid the report showing up 17 bits for a 16-bit report which will otherwise look strange to users.

Since you know SoX, for example, it by default decodes DSD to 8-bit PCM at full scale if there is no resampling. In this case there will be no value at Bit 0 in my report, Bit 7 will contain 100% of samples.

Another example, if you apply 1-bit TPDF dither to digital silence, the result will contain values at +1, 0 and -1, so it actually requires 2 bits. However, it is also possible to apply TPDF dither that uses only 0 and -1. My report won't differentiate them and therefore the feature "Round Trip" only supports down to 2 bits.

Top Bottom