• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony STR-DH190 Stereo Receiver Reviewed

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Does anyone here know what frequencies are affected when the treble setting is adjusted on this amp?
The turnover frequency with gear like a entry level Sony receiver is pretty much never quoted by the manufacturer. Generally one needs a adjustment on the front panel to see what turnover frequency has been selected and that is a feature that seems to be totally extinct now.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do however recommend a fan on this if you listen at any elevated levels.
We really like https://www.acinfinity.com/receiver-amp-cooling-fans/
However, the question then becomes buy the $50 fan, or get a $200 receiver instead? Or just get some $10 tabletop fan and run that until the receiver fries, then start over? Probably anyone really hammering the volume control should be buying some super high powered Crown or Behringer or whatever.

10khz-lpf

people..... look inside your amps
This is a really interesting amplifier with an interesting design and it is still available even in this parts shortage situation.
I saw someone suggested maybe the Yamaha R-S202 would be better, simply checking the promo photos of the main board itself shows it's nearly if not completely identical.

What immediately caught my attention on the STR-DH190 PCB:

That giant diode bridge right up against one of the big can capacitors marked "Sony" (very interesting itself!) is the mostly likely reason for these failures, so for when people like the OP try to push it outside of it's rated capacity just because "it still works" at the time, that extra power has to be output somewhere - heat - so those large can caps get heated and fail.
Same thing happens on TV's etc all the time - it's common design. No before someone starts yelling that it's a conspiracy to make your stuff fail, it's a very crude fail safe circuit for when things like prolonged out of spec usage like we saw in the OP post occurs.
(Companies producing products at this volume are conscious of costs at all stages and doing this instead of implementing, say a thermal fuse, costs way less. Plus if something is really causing it to heat up that much in normal usage then there is a problem anyway and this will shut it off and stop power from flowing into the device which is safer than potentially continuing to power a fault. Additionally if the warranty only applies for 6 ohms and up, then it doesn't have to be designed to withstand the temperatures reached driving 4 ohms, and could be denied warranty service... Just giving the manufacturers thinking on this sort of thing when you are producing 100's of 1000's of an item)

Of course i'm sure one could change those two large can caps to name brand ones meant to endure high temperatures like 125c or 135c, and give a bit of space between it and the diode there, toss a fan in the case (would be trivial) then you could run it at 140w 4 ohm all day, maybe even 160w with the fan in there.
no way you need a $50 fan, a PC case fan meant to between 5v and 12v is $10 at most and comes with screws, you can mount it under the vented part of the top case, just take off the top of the case and make some small drill holes then mount the fan on the inside and wire up the power to anywhere the 5v powering the front display panel is coming from, and it'll run slow enough that you shouldn't even be able to hear it without music playing. if it is mounted facing outwards to exhaust the hot air that is probably most efficient.

there are actually very nice name brand caps used from a good brand and series on the left side of the diode, where the important power filtering is happening, yet on the audio side we even see some no name caps used - i would love to try to replace all these with something audio grade like Nichicon Muse or Fine Gold or even just high grade caps like the United Chemicon used on the left side of the pcb.

of course a company like sony can manufacture their own caps but very strange of them to do so!

anyone have a yamaha R-S202? Main board looks almost identical. Would love to know what caps are used there instead of these "Sony" ones.

but if anyone still has a non working STR-DH190 in their possession non working & wants to get it looked at in usa, let me know, i would be interested to see if my hypothesis is correct, if so it should be easy to get up and running again, and maybe interesting to see how it measures again once all the no-name grade capacitors on the audio side are removed and replaced with good ones, wouldn't be surprised if some imbalance is due to some just simply being in poor tolerance

Attachments

• 8593.jpg
    8593.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 274
  • 784683.jpg
    784683.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 268
Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
people..... look inside your amps
This is a really interesting amplifier with an interesting design and it is still available even in this parts shortage situation.
I saw someone suggested maybe the Yamaha R-S202 would be better, simply checking the promo photos of the main board itself shows it's nearly if not completely identical.

What immediately caught my attention on the STR-DH190 PCB:

That giant diode bridge right up against one of the big can capacitors marked "Sony" (very interesting itself!) is the mostly likely reason for these failures, so for when people like the OP try to push it outside of it's rated capacity just because "it still works" at the time, that extra power has to be output somewhere - heat - so those large can caps get heated and fail.
Same thing happens on TV's etc all the time - it's common design. No before someone starts yelling that it's a conspiracy to make your stuff fail, it's a very crude fail safe circuit for when things like prolonged out of spec usage like we saw in the OP post occurs.
(Companies producing products at this volume are conscious of costs at all stages and doing this instead of implementing, say a thermal fuse, costs way less. Plus if something is really causing it to heat up that much in normal usage then there is a problem anyway and this will shut it off and stop power from flowing into the device which is safer than potentially continuing to power a fault. Additionally if the warranty only applies for 6 ohms and up, then it doesn't have to be designed to withstand the temperatures reached driving 4 ohms, and could be denied warranty service... Just giving the manufacturers thinking on this sort of thing when you are producing 100's of 1000's of an item)

Of course i'm sure one could change those two large can caps to name brand ones meant to endure high temperatures like 125c or 135c, and give a bit of space between it and the diode there, toss a fan in the case (would be trivial) then you could run it at 140w 4 ohm all day, maybe even 160w with the fan in there.
no way you need a $50 fan, a PC case fan meant to between 5v and 12v is $10 at most and comes with screws, you can mount it under the vented part of the top case, just take off the top of the case and make some small drill holes then mount the fan on the inside and wire up the power to anywhere the 5v powering the front display panel is coming from, and it'll run slow enough that you shouldn't even be able to hear it without music playing. if it is mounted facing outwards to exhaust the hot air that is probably most efficient.

there are actually very nice name brand caps used from a good brand and series on the left side of the diode, where the important power filtering is happening, yet on the audio side we even see some no name caps used - i would love to try to replace all these with something audio grade like Nichicon Muse or Fine Gold or even just high grade caps like the United Chemicon used on the left side of the pcb.

of course a company like sony can manufacture their own caps but very strange of them to do so!

anyone have a yamaha R-S202? Main board looks almost identical. Would love to know what caps are used there instead of these "Sony" ones.

but if anyone still has a non working STR-DH190 in their possession non working & wants to get it looked at in usa, let me know, i would be interested to see if my hypothesis is correct, if so it should be easy to get up and running again, and maybe interesting to see how it measures again once all the no-name grade capacitors on the audio side are removed and replaced with good ones, wouldn't be surprised if some imbalance is due to some just simply being in poor tolerance
The point of failure on these low end Sony receivers is the thermal fuse in the mains transformer. :D

Last edited:

10khz-lpf

analysis of the PCB, noted some spaces where other components might be used for higher end models of this amp family
also attached a good quality image i found of the bottom of the pcb, used to help decipher what was routed where

Attachments

• STR DH190 pcb analysis.jpg
    STR DH190 pcb analysis.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 195
  • STR DH190 pcb bottom.jpg
    STR DH190 pcb bottom.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 196

10khz-lpf

The point of failure on these low end Sony receivers is the thermal fuse in the mains transformer. :D

This board has quite a lot of fusing in addition to the diode clamped against the large can caps.
There are quite a few possibilities for a fuse that could blow and bring it down including the usage of thermal PC board
Is there evidence i am unaware of that the mains transformer's thermal fuse is the culprit? You may find there is an awful large number of spare transformers for this unit from presumably parts units which indicates to me the mains transformer is not the culprit.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there evidence i am unaware of that the mains transformer's thermal fuse is the culprit?
Yes, there is evidence. 15 years of me providing Sony factory service in-warranty and junking entry level Sony receiver after Sony receiver because the thermal fuses went open. The mains transformer costs about what the entire receiver is worth.
You may find there is an awful large number of spare transformers for this unit from presumably parts units which indicates to me the mains transformer is not the culprit.
You may find you are wasting time and energy with your, "Project analysis."

Last edited:

10khz-lpf

Yes, there is evidence. 15 years of me providing Sony factory service in-warranty and junking entry level Sony receiver after Sony receiver because the thermal fuses went open. The mains transformer costs about what the entire receiver is worth.

You may find you are wasting time and energy with your, "Project analysis."
Hmm, well i was hoping for some more substantive proof than what you could offer (the IT guy who has been swapping out hard drives at the company for 15 years has a different insight but not on the same level as the engineer who's been designing home electronics PCBs for 15 years), but I'll keep your post in mind if mine dies one day and the mains transformer is truly and honestly dead. Which, again, if it's a thermal fuse, probably could be mitigated by the addition of a teeny fan.

Now, I'm sure you have taken enjoyment in plenty of things I find a waste of time, judging by the fact that you have over 10,000 posts and I prefer to tinker than talk. ;)

It took less than two hours of my time to find those pictures of the main board and generally trace out what went where, and subsequently check into the status of the market of specifically STR-DH190 spare parts in which I had an enjoyable couple hours - and found out that even if the transformer goes, I'm out what, $30?

Maybe if you have to order directly from Sony, it's cost prohibitive. But I am looking at dozens of STR-DH190 transformers for sale under the $40 shipped price point and I kind of doubt all of them have shot thermal fuses.

I'm just saying if there are a ton of STR-DH190 front panels boards and transformers available from reputable sellers, but I could only find a single main board in new condition for sale, combined with the fact that the mains AC actually makes it way through the main board quite a bit before it reaches the two transformers in the unit, suggests maybe one shouldn't blindly insist it's impossible that a fault could lie within the main board instead of the mains transformer's thermal fuse.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe if you have to order directly from Sony, it's cost prohibitive. But I am looking at dozens of STR-DH190 transformers for sale under the $40 shipped price point and I kind of doubt all of them have shot thermal fuses.
Be sure to get a X-former that is for your country or the country that the specific unit you are working on is from. For safety reasons and for the reason that some X-formers have different things about them. Some countries do not even use the thermal fuse. In Canada and the USA thermal fuses are used to prevent a catastrophe from too much current through the amp. $40 for a X-former is a good deal if it is in proper operating condition.

but I could only find a single main board in new condition for sale
There are fusible resisters and transistors that are damaged when the fusible resisters open and that is common for all Sony receivers main/amp PCB's. I would be suspect of any of them no matter what a seller states the condition to be.
(the IT guy who has been swapping out hard drives at the company for 15 years has a different insight
What the Sony service department does and what the Sony IT guy do are not even related.

Now, I'm sure you have taken enjoyment in plenty of things I find a waste of time, judging by the fact that you have over 10,000 posts and I prefer to tinker than talk. ;)
I enthusiastically tinkered at work for decades and now am retired. No need to tinker.

PolloLoco

Has anyone else used this to drive the Hifiman He6 or He6se? Having read that they could use more power to really open up - I bought these for my He6se V2. I was previously using the Monoprice 887 THX amp to drive them, but was wondering if I might see more benefit from a speaker amp. People recommended a vintage speaker amp, but I didn't want to deal with worn out capacitors and/or the need to refurbish. So I tried the Sony STR-DH190 when it went on sale recently. I got a Best Buy Open Box - like new - for $120.

To make a long story short - after making an adapter to go to XLR from the speaker taps - this receiver sounds great as a complement to the THX. I'm missing a little micro-detail from the THX providing intimate mids, but the bass is outstanding and I'm sensing a larger soundstage. I was prepared to return this receiver if I didn't like it - but I'm keeping it as an excellent complement which lives under my desk.

Jimster480

Major Contributor
Has anyone else used this to drive the Hifiman He6 or He6se? Having read that they could use more power to really open up - I bought these for my He6se V2. I was previously using the Monoprice 887 THX amp to drive them, but was wondering if I might see more benefit from a speaker amp. People recommended a vintage speaker amp, but I didn't want to deal with worn out capacitors and/or the need to refurbish. So I tried the Sony STR-DH190 when it went on sale recently. I got a Best Buy Open Box - like new - for $120.

To make a long story short - after making an adapter to go to XLR from the speaker taps - this receiver sounds great as a complement to the THX. I'm missing a little micro-detail from the THX providing intimate mids, but the bass is outstanding and I'm sensing a larger soundstage. I was prepared to return this receiver if I didn't like it - but I'm keeping it as an excellent complement which lives under my desk.
It makes absolutely no sense to use a speaker amp to drive any headphones. Speaker apps are built to drive low impedance devices unlike headphones.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
It makes absolutely no sense to use a speaker amp to drive any headphones. Speaker apps are built to drive low impedance devices unlike headphones.

It makes absolute sense and always has. The only reason it isn't done more, is due to the relatively high level of residual noise present in a typical amplifier output. Consider all these powerful headphone amplifiers are one small step away from being able to drive a speaker directly (it's all about current and dissipation)

A headphone amplifier is just a low powered, hopefully low noise amplifier. Nothing special and nothing more.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
my argument on that regard is that sony flat out DNGAF about headphone performance on their cheapest stereo receiever... its only there to fill in a bullet point

so expect performance to be average at best

sony or anyone can fully well put in a great 6.35 out on their stereo a/v amps but do they?

if your goal is headphone out spend your money on a small dedicated HP amp? stands to reason

its already well known some dacs have great dac performance but questionable HP out... some have amazing HP out - its really jut what the company wants to emphasise

the headpohone out on my Onkyo atmos receiver is... there... it works... its vestigal... like the AM/FM performance

PolloLoco

I used to think the same as you - but the Hifiman He6 and He6Se variants require a ridiculous amount of power to drive properly. Though they're only 50 ohms, they're very insensitive, around 90db if I remember correctly. With a lower power amp, you can drive them - but they'll either sound strident or veiled. Hifiman used to sell the original He6 with an official speaker tap adapter. Of course, you have to be careful doing this - because you can blow out these or any other headphones if you're not careful with the volume control.

The Sony has a vestigial headphone port and it sounds terrible. I've heard that some vintage amps drove their headphone port straight off the speaker amp section - like the Crown D75. Since I've enjoyed this experience, I found a Crown D75 that seems to be in good shape from a vendor that accepts returns. I'll see how that sounds in comparison to the Sony Receiver and Monoprice THX. It would fit better on my desk - and I prefer the balanced inputs.

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree with you. It makes no sense to power some device strap to my head that can output potentially lethal voltage (and current).

Billy Budapest

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agree with you. It makes no sense to power some device strap to my head that can output potentially lethal voltage (and current).
Then never wear electrostatic headphones either!

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I used to think the same as you - but the Hifiman He6 and He6Se variants require a ridiculous amount of power to drive properly. Though they're only 50 ohms, they're very insensitive, around 90db if I remember correctly. With a lower power amp, you can drive them - but they'll either sound strident or veiled. Hifiman used to sell the original He6 with an official speaker tap adapter. Of course, you have to be careful doing this - because you can blow out these or any other headphones if you're not careful with the volume control.

The Sony has a vestigial headphone port and it sounds terrible. I've heard that some vintage amps drove their headphone port straight off the speaker amp section - like the Crown D75. Since I've enjoyed this experience, I found a Crown D75 that seems to be in good shape from a vendor that accepts returns. I'll see how that sounds in comparison to the Sony Receiver and Monoprice THX. It would fit better on my desk - and I prefer the balanced inputs.
Yes but these headphones don't need 10W or more to deliver music... with amps like the THX789 delivering 6W and many other amps on the market in the multi-watt territories with damn near 100% transparancy; there just seems to be no reason to mess around with this. You just need an amp that can deliver current which is definitely things like the THX amps.

Fozziebear40

Hi, I have this amplifier and I want to run some small DALI speakers to place on a desk and DALI's are good for this as they can sit back to a wall, small, and don't have to be toed in. I know the bottom of the range, the Spector 1, will run fine on this amp, but could someone help with the numbers and tell me if the DALI Oberon 1's would be good with this amp please?

DALI Oberon 1 Specs

Frequency Range [+/- 3] dB [Hz] 51 - 26,000
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) [dB] 86
Nominal Impedance [ohms] 6
Maximum SPL [dB] 106
Recommended Amp. Power [Watts] 25 - 100
Crossover Frequencies [Hz] 2,8
Crossover Principle 2-way
High Frequency Driver 1 x 29 mm soft dome
Low Frequency/Midrange Driver(s) 1 x 5¼"

Thank you.

Boris Badinov

Master Contributor
The Humorist
Hi, I have this amplifier and I want to run some small DALI speakers to place on a desk and DALI's are good for this as they can sit back to a wall, small, and don't have to be toed in. I know the bottom of the range, the Spector 1, will run fine on this amp, but could someone help with the numbers and tell me if the DALI Oberon 1's would be good with this amp please?

DALI Oberon 1 Specs

Frequency Range [+/- 3] dB [Hz] 51 - 26,000
Sensitivity (2.83V/1m) [dB] 86
Nominal Impedance [ohms] 6
Maximum SPL [dB] 106
Recommended Amp. Power [Watts] 25 - 100
Crossover Frequencies [Hz] 2,8
Crossover Principle 2-way
High Frequency Driver 1 x 29 mm soft dome
Low Frequency/Midrange Driver(s) 1 x 5¼"

Thank you.
Specs for my speakers when I used this receiver:

• Enclosure type: 2-way reflex, Bass Unit: 2 x 165mm, Treble Unit: 25mm
  • Frequency Response (+/- 3 dB): 44Hz - 22kHz, Nominal Impedance: 6ohm, Sensitivity: 92dB
  • Recommended Power: 25 - 100w, Crossover Frequency: 2.6kHz
I wouldn't think you'd have a problem with them

Top Bottom