• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sony MDR-Z1R Headphone Review

davidmthekidd

When kids like the U-Shape tuning, they are bassheads. When audiophiles do that, it is musicality.
The Z1R's are not bass headphones, at all, in fact, the MDR-Z7 are for bass heads from the Sony line up. The Z1R is for sure U-shape, but not to the level of the Z7 or your average bluetooth wireless over hear headphone.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
I would never mix or record on the Z1R's, but I prefer this headphone for music enjoyment.
You just prefer warm bassy headphones that's all, when it comes to enjoyment of music.
I can get along with this idea when listening to softer (background level) music enjoyment (Equal loudness contours)
There are many people preferring headphones like the Meze 99, ATH-M50X, T1, Amiron, Denon D7200, SRH-1540, MDR1A, HP50, MH40 for the same reason.

The reason people were all over you was the usage as the word 'musical' and the BS on the Sony manual. Not your preference for warmer headphones.

davidmthekidd

You just prefer warm bassy headphones that's all, when it comes to enjoyment of music.
I can get along with this idea when listening to softer (background level) music enjoyment (Equal loudness contours)
There are many people preferring headphones like the Meze 99, ATH-M50X, T1, Amiron, Denon D7200, SRH-1540, MDR1A, HP50, MH40 for the same reason.

The reason people were all over you was the usage as the word 'musical' and the BS on the Sony manual. Not your preference for warmer headphones.
Sure.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This was my first “audiophile” grade headphone, and I still own it (it’s my sole closed-back option). I know the tuning is controversial, and I certainly don’t prefer this over my HE1000se or HE1000 Stealth for more “refined” listening, but as Solderdude mentioned I do like this “warm, bassy” headphone when listening to rock or other modern genres. It’s my old-school “disco smile” option upgraded to a highly detailed, well-imaged presentation, and along with my UBP-x1100ES SACD/Blu ray player, my forages into Sony’s “Elevated Stantard (ES)” line.

When I’m in the mood for more of a fun, “bass head” experience, it does the job well, and it’s nowhere near as clumsy or offensive as the Meze 99 Classic, which is bass insultingly and overwhelmingly emphasized at the expense of all other frequencies.

I know there are finer closed-back options (such as the DCA Stealth), but for nearly half the price and almost 20 points higher in sensitivity, it does an admirable job, which is why I’ve kept it. With the right music, it can be a blast.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
When I’m in the mood for more of a fun, “bass head” experience, it does the job well, and it’s nowhere near as clumsy or offensive as the Meze 99 Classic, which is bass insultingly and overwhelmingly emphasized at the expense of all other frequencies.
Agreed. MDR-Z1R is a proper headphone, one likes the tuning or not. Meze 99 is a toy.

srkbear

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Agreed. MDR-Z1R is a proper headphone, one likes the tuning or not. Meze 99 is a toy.
I’m with ya. I do own a set of Meze Elites, which are awfully pretty, but I rarely listen to them. With that effort they seemed to have gone with a tuning that is the polar opposite of the 99–with either pad option they don’t have much in the way of bass, and they’re so muted that I’m constantly reaching for Q-tips to fruitlessly clean out my ear canals. I haven’t heard the 109 pros, but my take on that company is that they’re a bit overhyped, a lot of style over substance. I haven’t heard many raves for the Empyrean 2 either, although admittedly I haven’t heard them myself.

The Sony’s, however, have an impeccable build, although nothing exciting. They do come in quite a nice presentation. The screw tip cables are sturdy for sure, but a bit of a pain when seeking aftermarket options with different connectors. The headphones as a whole seem pretty indestructible—I’d feel perfectly comfortable throwing them in a backpack and traveling with them, although there is nothing portable about them, and I’d feel pretty ridiculous wearing them on a plane. They’re pretty enormous.

I’m not sure there is a truly portable audiophile headphone that I’ve found. Everything else I have is open back—I’d feel comfortable dragging my Hifiman Edition XS everywhere and I’d be very happy listening to them, but the people around me, not so much. Maybe I’m too self-conscious—I’ll give that some thought…

dumbsuck

Have had these for about 9 days now. These are my impressions: Not very good. Bass is bloated. The 10K peak could be less pronounced, but I am not really bothered by it much, although it does make vocals sibilant on some tracks. The biggest problem for me is the 3.2K peak that ruins their sound to my ears. Makes them sound like you're listening to music through a plastic yogurt cup with the bottom removed or as if the music was coming out of a (moderately big) seashell. Ruins some vocals and electric guitars mainly. I am strongly considering returning them to Amazon. Barely worth $300, I would say. Comfort and built quality are excellent though.

Sad, really. Most of my favorite alt. rock artists are unlistenable on these. Electric guitar sound is absolutely ruined. Luckily one can get rid of the seashell sound by EQ'ing the 3.2K peak away. All that remains after that is muddy bass and sucked out upper midrange followed by that 10K peak. Sound that absolutely lacks any clarity. Honestly, the more I listen to these, the harder it is for me to believe that Sony actually seriously released a product like this, AND they want $2000 for it.

What I have to say though is that if you don't listen to anything that has distorted or high-gain electric guitars in it, like maybe some jazz, softer rock, acoustic music, classical or pop etc, you won't really hear that 3.2K peak. Also, to me, acoustic guitars sound very nice on these. However, they also ruin some vocals. For example, Billy Corgan's voice on the song Ava Adore sounds like he has unswallowed phlegm in his throat (sorry for that imagery but this is what I hear every time I listen to that song with the MDR-Z1R). Yeah, I think they will be going back.

Some examples of headphones that I own that sound better than these: Sony MDR-1AM2, EMU Teak, Denon D5200, Sennheiser HD660S2 and Momentum 3, Grado SR325x, Beyer DT880 600ohm, Hifiman HE400SE. Notice that every one of these is a fraction of the Z1R's price.

cookiefactory

Forum Donor
Have had these for about 9 days now. These are my impressions: Not very good. Bass is bloated. The 10K peak could be less pronounced, but I am not really bothered by it much, although it does make vocals sibilant on some tracks. The biggest problem for me is the 3.2K peak that ruins their sound to my ears. Makes them sound like you're listening to music through a plastic yogurt cup with the bottom removed or as if the music was coming out of a (moderately big) seashell. Ruins some vocals and electric guitars mainly. I am strongly considering returning them to Amazon. Barely worth $300, I would say. Comfort and built quality are excellent though.

Sad, really. Most of my favorite alt. rock artists are unlistenable on these. Electric guitar sound is absolutely ruined. Luckily one can get rid of the seashell sound by EQ'ing the 3.2K peak away. All that remains after that is muddy bass and sucked out upper midrange followed by that 10K peak. Sound that absolutely lacks any clarity. Honestly, the more I listen to these, the harder it is for me to believe that Sony actually seriously released a product like this, AND they want $2000 for it.

What I have to say though is that if you don't listen to anything that has distorted or high-gain electric guitars in it, like maybe some jazz, softer rock, acoustic music, classical or pop etc, you won't really hear that 3.2K peak. Also, to me, acoustic guitars sound very nice on these. However, they also ruin some vocals. For example, Billy Corgan's voice on the song Ava Adore sounds like he has unswallowed phlegm in his throat (sorry for that imagery but this is what I hear every time I listen to that song with the MDR-Z1R). Yeah, I think they will be going back.

Some examples of headphones that I own that sound better than these: Sony MDR-1AM2, EMU Teak, Denon D5200, Sennheiser HD660S2 and Momentum 3, Grado SR325x, Beyer DT880 600ohm, Hifiman HE400SE. Notice that every one of these is a fraction of the Z1R's price.

Cool, thanks for sharing your opinion.

PenguinMusic

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Hi,
Thanks for sharing.
I have one question : how do you identify that the peak is at 3.2khz ant not at 3.1 or 3.3khz ?
Would really like to know to train my own ears if possible...
Regards

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi,
Thanks for sharing.
I have one question : how do you identify that the peak is at 3.2khz ant not at 3.1 or 3.3khz ?
Regards
A tone generator like this should be plenty to identify the exact frequency of a resonance as pronounced as it is on the Z1R: https://www.szynalski.com/tone-generator/

dumbsuck

Hi,
Thanks for sharing.
Regards

If you check the measurements here and here and use the inspect tool, you can see it shows the peak to be almost exactly at 3.25 KHz. To verify I hear the peak at that frequency, I used this tool and ran some frequency sweeps.

Edit: Also, the Graphic Equalizer plugin for foobar has a slider exactly at 3.15 KHz. Reducing this band by 4 dB gets completely rid of the annoying "seashell" sound quality of the Z1R, so it must be very very close to the frequency of the problematic peak.

PenguinMusic

If you check the measurements here and here and use the inspect tool, you can see it shows the peak to be almost exactly at 3.25 KHz. To verify I hear the peak at that frequency, I used this tool and ran some frequency sweeps.

Edit: Also, the Graphic Equalizer plugin for foobar has a slider exactly at 3.15 KHz. Reducing this band by 4 dB gets completely rid of the annoying "seashell" sound quality of the Z1R, so it must be very very close to the frequency of the problematic peak.
Ah...
I thought your ears would tell you.
But they confirm the measurements...
Ok.
Thanks for the clarification.

dumbsuck

Ah...
I thought your ears would tell you.
But they confirm the measurements...
Ok.
Thanks for the clarification.

Yes. If there were no measurements of this headphone, I would just hear there is something seriously wrong with the sound, guess that it is somewhere above 1K but below 5K (my ears are not trained) and use the graphic EQ foobar plugin to reduce band by band by several dB till I would hear the problematic quality of the sound to be gone away and thus find the approximate frequency where the problem is

Blorg

On Neutron you can use Parametric EQ and there are 4 profiles for this, including the one that has been mentioned here from Oratory.
In fact, I listened to the 4 PEQ profiles and I did not like the one from Oratory.
The ~3kHz peak is very narrow and exactly where it is will depend on your individual head. As it is very sharp, if you cut or boost in slightly the wrong place you can make it worse. Like Static says if you want to EQ to Harman (or even, just address the peak) it is best to listen to it with a sine sweep and figure out where they are for yourself. For me, cutting at 3,200Hz worked better than 3,300Hz (Oratory). This wasn't a night or day difference, but it was better.

Owning some référence headphones,
* how would you rate the openess of this closed one compare to the other opened and closed ones ?
* how would you rate or describe the detail listening, precision, layering, quantity of data, I mean the "technicality" of this headphone ?
Thx
It's the most open closed back I've ever heard, it does do a remarkable presentation of sounding like you're in a hall. With that does come a certain boominess and weird tonality I guess, but yeah it does give a remarkably open spatial presentation.

Ultimately though, I couldn't hack the frequency response, I did not think it was good. Technicalities other than the remarkable soundstage, for me, were not notable either. Mainly comparing to open backs, but even comparing to something like the Hifiman Edition XS, I would put that ahead in technicalities, as well as being much better tuned. The bass didn't actually sound as offensive as it might look on the graph, I didn't even feel that was much too much (I thought I would). I still EQed down the midbass, but stock I didn't feel it was insane. However, I found it pillowy and undefined. The likes of the LCD-X, Nan-7, many different Hifimans, Focal for punch, were much more satisfying in the bass for me, after EQ. These are all open-backs though.

One of the issues with this headphone, if you're thinking, I can just fix the FR with EQ, it's a bit difficult due to the extreme narrowness of the peaks, I was able to get it to the point it wasn't stabbing me with the 3kHz but it was never terribly satisfactory, and I felt I'd prefer $1,000 than it and sold it, or rather did a three-person swap for a Shure KSE1500, which I'm much happier with.

Like Cuckoo Studio says though, it could sound different to different people. It's definitely a very divisive headphone, it has people who love it and people who hate it. For me, it was not necessarily a total disaster, it's not quite as bad as the graph suggests. At the same time though, for me, the features on the graph were there, it is a bit too much in the bass, I did hear the 3kHz peak as a definite zing and the rest around that was sort of dark and muffled. So it did sound like the graph, BUT not as extreme as I expected. I didn't feel it was worth the money for a TOTL headphone either so passed it on.

Comfort is really good as is the isolation, they are top notch. They look great and the build is great. Easy to drive with portables... just for me, the sound wasn't there for the money.

n0thing

Hi, I am new here. English is not my native language, i'm from Europe so sorry about grammar mistakes.

I just bought these Sony headphones. I wanted Focal Radiance but, these are no longer available. I tried Z1 over Hegel Rost dac/amp...with foobar2000 player, aiso driver output, EQ modified..... Problem: My Sennheiser in ear headphones are just better. With Poweramp player on Android, bass is way better than z1r.....and treble also. I suppose, it's because in ear close completely ear canal and ear buds are in contact with ear canal wall. Can I do something about it? Another software, dac......or just return.....
Thanx

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi, I am new here. English is not my native language, i'm from Europe so sorry about grammar mistakes.

I just bought these Sony headphones. I wanted Focal Radiance but, these are no longer available. I tried Z1 over Hegel Rost dac/amp...with foobar2000 player, aiso driver output, EQ modified..... Problem: My Sennheiser in ear headphones are just better. With Poweramp player on Android, bass is way better than z1r.....and treble also. I suppose, it's because in ear close completely ear canal and ear buds are in contact with ear canal wall. Can I do something about it? Another software, dac......or just return.....
Thanx
Hi @n0thing! Welcome to ASR.

Try installing the Mathaudio Headphone EQ plugin for foobar and importing oratory1990's PEQ preset:

https://mathaudio.com/download.htm
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vki0blm6f3x35a1/Sony MDR-Z1R.pdf

It works with ASIO output.

PenguinMusic

Thanx
Better... Or different ?

Better or more accustomed ?

I personnally have never been convionced by IEM. Yes they seal the ear but that cvomes at a price (at least for me) : I hear all my internal noises (throat rattling, air getting into my lungs...) and I do not like it. And I am under the impression that sticking something into my ear is not a brilliant idea for long term usage.

Regards.

n0thing

Last edited:

n0thing

Better... Or different ?

Better or more accustomed ?

I personnally have never been convionced by IEM. Yes they seal the ear but that cvomes at a price (at least for me) : I hear all my internal noises (throat rattling, air getting into my lungs...) and I do not like it. And I am under the impression that sticking something into my ear is not a brilliant idea for long term usage.

Regards.
Well it is better, more intense, when i am hearing live concert, it feels like I'm there, bass feels a lot more like sub. With Sennheiser IE300. Sony, not so. Bass is weaker and overall music more dull. I have allso noticed that, when connecting Z1 direct on Android/Poweramp, bass is better (you can nicely modify it) then over windows/foobar, and external amplifier.

About hearing noises with in ear phones, it could be only on mute. If music plays, you should hear only music. At least I do.
About sticking into ears, yes thats why I bought something more comfortable. But music quality is not what i am used to. I bought these because bass should be fine.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi. Thanks for answer. Question? I don't see preset file to download. There's only pdf file that that's downloadable. Or i got something wrong?
As described in the Headphone EQ Help section, oratory's PDF must be converted to a .txt file, before you can import it into the tool:

Attached below is the correctly converted .txt file.

As described in oratory's PDF, you can manually tune the gain of certain bands to preference:
Screenshot_20240424-034926_Drive.png

Or leave them as-is for stock Harman.

Attachments

• Sony MDR-Z1R (oratory1990) Mathaudio Preset.txt
    486 bytes · Views: 5
Top Bottom