• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

Takato

Do any capacitors appear disfigured, distorted shape, leaking, dark PCB area(s)?
Nothing looks out of the ordinary. I'll try to get some pictures and upload them here.

Carefully touch opa1612 opamps with your finger, if hot they got damaged by static electricity, usually it’s the left channel closer to the center of the PCB, careful it can be very hot.
Got it! I'll check it out again to see that.

Edit: Just checked and boy it's hot. The right one is not, the left one it's burning. So if I try to replace that opamp it should work again?

Last edited:

Takato

personally i like qxd1 design, but failure rate + weird controls (one vol control on hardware buttons, and two alsa software controls – all independent from each other(!)) convinced me to sell my unit. never knew warranty is only 6 months and i assumed it's 12 instead. was Your unit plugged directly into surge ups? i doubt it has a quality usb power support. knowing it is fragile and might fail on inproper power input i plugged mine unit into one of the top measured PS from the list: https://lygte-info.dk/info/ChargerIndex UK.html (i think i got apple A1400) and i never induce it to electrostatic discharge (?), so for instance no dust cleaning when it's powered on, and always tried to ground it somehow. Soncoz said they have fixed discharge issue in newer batches and it convinces me to try their products one day again, but at the time being qxd1 was a bit immature it seems…
anyhow if You can locate damaged component and find normal (not „audio qualified”) technician to solder it out and replace with same part (not cheaper replacement), You can probably fix fairly cheap and retain same performance. there is a chance some soldering point got loosen, or a simple element like capacitor needs an exchange. We have plenty of skillful users here on asr, someone might be able to diagnose it if You open it up and document PCB with camera.
Thanks. I tried different USB cables and some chargers, none of them worked now. The charger was plugged onto a Innov USB charger, and that one connected to the UPS on the surge protected outlets.

I'll get some pictures and upload them here to see if anybody can pinpoint the issue.

gvl

Major Contributor
Nothing looks out of the ordinary. I'll try to get some pictures and upload them here.

Got it! I'll check it out again to see that.

Edit: Just checked and boy it's hot. The right one is not, the left one it's burning. So if I try to replace that opamp it should work again?

Most likely. The fact the DAC was recognized by PC when powered by a battery pack is a good sign. I think what happens the opamp shorted drawing too much current and internal power rails are “sagging” and USB input can’t work. If you replace the opamp the voltages should bounce back. Of course there can be other damage, but start with the opamp.

If you manage to revive it make sure the grounding pads around holes in the pcb are in contact with the metal housing when you put it back together.

Takato

Most likely. The fact the DAC was recognized by PC when powered by a battery pack is a good sign. I think what happens the opamp shorted drawing too much current and internal power rails are “sagging” and USB input can’t work. If you replace the opamp the voltages should bounce back. Of course there can be other damage, but start with the opamp.
Perfect, I'll start with that then. Thank you!

gvl

Major Contributor
Perfect, I'll start with that then. Thank you!

Good luck :) If you don’t have SMD de/soldering tools you can carefully cut the opamp out with precision cutters and then use soldering iron with a thin tip to remove remaining pin material from the pads and solder back a new part. Don’t overheat the soldering pads as if they come off you’ll have a more difficult problem on hand.

flz

This seems like an interesting DAC, one of the cheapest with balanced XLR output with good measurements. But then I learn that volume is not at max by default and once powered off, the previous volume setting is forgotten. I understand there is a firmware fix but it can only be updated from Windows (Mac users such as myself out of luck). I would not want to leave on 24/7 either. A dealbreaker for me.

alekksander

This seems like an interesting DAC, one of the cheapest with balanced XLR output with good measurements. But then I learn that volume is not at max by default and once powered off, the previous volume setting is forgotten. I understand there is a firmware fix but it can only be updated from Windows (Mac users such as myself out of luck). I would not want to leave on 24/7 either. A dealbreaker for me.
it can run 24/7 without issues. i measured and posted power usage somewhere in this thread. i also don't have windows computer to update it, but managed to find someone with windows laptop – pretty sure it's not a big problem since windows machines are commonly available.

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
I understand there is a firmware fix but it can only be updated from Windows (Mac users such as myself out of luck).
Well...there are other options, but I can understand people wanting a full vendor-approved method.
You could download the Windows developer VM images and run them in VirtualBox with USB passthrough for the device in question. I've done this in linux for updating hypex DLCP firmware for example.
If you are happy compiling code then the XMOS example firmware updater could be used with only slight tweaks. That was originally written for MacOS but only small changes were needed to work with linux. I'm not sure whether it's been used with recent MacOS versions.

flz

it can run 24/7 without issues. i measured and posted power usage somewhere in this thread. i also don't have windows computer to update it, but managed to find someone with windows laptop – pretty sure it's not a big problem since windows machines are commonly available.
I tried looking for all your posts in this thread about power usage measurements and couldn't find it. If you can dig back and find the post#, I would much appreciate it! The specifications say <4w but I'd be interested to know how much less when it is idle (but powered on).

alekksander

I tried looking for all your posts in this thread about power usage measurements and couldn't find it. If you can dig back and find the post#, I would much appreciate it! The specifications say <4w but I'd be interested to know how much less when it is idle (but powered on).
hm… i can't find too. either i didn't eventually posted it or it is somewhere else among the lines. i don't have my unit anymore so can't check that for You anymore, sorry about that.

flz

hm… i can't find too. either i didn't eventually posted it or it is somewhere else among the lines. i don't have my unit anymore so can't check that for You anymore, sorry about that.
No worries. Ben1987 himself replied to me and said it draws about 3W when idle. So no big deal. And if left always on, not remembering the volume setting when powered off is much less of an issue.

Last edited:

wisechoice

We recommend customers to use V5.02. This version has maximum volume memory and volume adjustment, but when playing DSD, do not adjust the volume, or there will be noise.
The factory default firmware of V5.01 does not support hardware volume adjustment. When playing DSD, the volume cannot be adjusted on the PC.
I'm not able to play DSD (DoP) over Toslink with either update.

I've tried three other DACs with the same pipeline and all work. Only the Soncoz doesn't. Any idea why not?

EMMA

I'm not able to play DSD (DoP) over Toslink with either update.

I've tried three other DACs with the same pipeline and all work. Only the Soncoz doesn't. Any idea why not?
Toslink and Coaxial inputs do not support DSD.

Kakémono

Bonjour les gars,

pour l'alimentation j'ai trouvé la solution aujourd'hui : une turbo alimentation pour smartphone.
The mine is a Motorola and the basse are incredible ; more firm. Try it !

monochromedout

Has anyone found a way to repair when one of the channels stops working and only has like a hiss/distorted sound?

I have this thing just sitting in my office and am trying to figure out if it's trash. I remember seeing the soncoz lady stating there were issues with static electricity burning something up.

can I return it for repair or is their a diagram to help diagnose?

Brab

Mine failed completely. Soncoz repaired it at my shipping expense.

Kakémono

Bonjour les gars,

pour l'alimentation j'ai trouvé la solution aujourd'hui : une turbo alimentation pour smartphone.
The mine is a Motorola and the basse are incredible ; more firm. Try it !
Sorry for the automatic translation :
I found a good idea for the power supply : I use now a turbo power for smartphone. The low frequencies are now more firm.

Kakémono

Hello, it's my first message, firstly thank you Amir and others for greats reviews.
I would like to talk about a problem on my new dac soncoz la-qxd1.

With coax plugin, when I turn on/off the light or some electrical appliance (like dryer), the sound often cuts half of a second and come back.
I tried with 6 usb alimentations (5v 1a, 5v 3a, 5v 2,4a 55w pa t15 aukey), with 2 CD players, nothing helps. My electrical installation is 3 years old, with earth line and legrand new electrical panel, I'm in France on 220v.

With toslink or usb link, I have no problem ! Is there anyone here who uses it with coax ?
I have exactly the same problème.

Kakémono

Bonjour les gars,

pour l'alimentation j'ai trouvé la solution aujourd'hui : une alimentation turbo pour smartphone.
La mienne est un Motorola et les basses sont incroyables ; plus ferme. Essayez-le !
Exactement, c'est une alimentation turbo Motorola, modèle : SSW 2680 EU. 5V 1,6A. Et le Soncoz ne chauffe pas.

Last edited:
Top Bottom