• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Soncoz LA-QXD1 Balanced DAC Review

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Exactement, c'est une alimentation turbo Motorola, modèle : SSW 2680 EU. 5V 1,6A. Et le Soncoz ne chauffe pas.
Translation: Exactly, it's a Motorola turbo power supply, model: SSW 2680 EU. 5V 1.6A. And the Soncoz does not heat up.

Please post in English only in the future please. Thank you for your understanding.

Topaloff

I didn't have a chance to engage with SDR to check frequencies. I did however have a chance to try a Topping E30 connected in the same room (same location, to same desktop computer) - that DAC has no EM interference issues from the running machine. I think the components going into the USB interface side is pretty similar between the 2 devices - indicating that perhaps there's a pretty simple fix to the issue in a next revision of the PCB.
Hey sandbp. Usually motors can make a lot of noise. I think a good EMI filter connected directly behind a running machine will reduce the propagation of noise through the power grid. You can also add a second filter in front of your computer/laptop power connector.

Topaloff

Hi all! I found several shortcomings of this DAC. Maybe it will be useful for someone. :)

All modifications you make at your own peril and risk! The device is sensitive to electrostatic discharge! You need PRO skills and special equipment!

I decided to measure my DAC with my old Asus Xonar u7 and found that the DAC gives pretty bad results. There was also a terrible ripple at the type-c socket.
So, I dug deeper and found a more frightening ripple at the negative output of the DC-DC converter. It was 1Vpp and 71Hz.

QXD-1 LM7912 input pin.jpg

Further, I found out that the TPS65131 based DC-DC converter does not work normally in power saving mode and generates a lot of low frequency noise. This is clearly a flaw in the chip. This can be corrected by adding an RC filter to the converter's negative feedback and turning off the power save mode. [You need PRO soldering skills and a microscope to make this!] These mods fixed the ripple on the negative side of the DC converter, but fixing the positive side was not so easy. [Careful! I burned the chip before I could.]

When I turned off the power saving mode on the positive side of the converter, it stopped oscillating and I had +5V at the output. When the positive output of the converter is loaded with beafy capacitors and the power saving mode is disabled, a voltage surge may occur and the OVP protection will turn off the positive side. What the hell? o_O

So, I left the positive side in power saving mode. It still has a slight ripple, but is stable. The the power saving mode of negative side was turned off. Ceramic caps can also be added to the electrolytic to filter out HF noise.

How to disable power save mode for negative side of DC-DC converter (if it has high ripple): cut the trace near the via from 11th pin and connect 11th pin to ground. Add a 6.8pF cap and a 51K resistor to negative feedback.
PCB Top — MOD.jpg

PCB Bottom — MOD.jpg

Another thing that can be fixed is the USB connection. XMOS is controlled by an ADM1085 sequencer chip. This chip keeps the XMOS off for a while until the supply voltage becomes stable. Replacing the timing capacitor with 100nF increases the XMOS startup delay time to 0.48s. A DAC with this fix starts normally with almost any power supply. It draws about 600mA, and any 1A charger or 1A power supply will suffice. Earlier, reboots were necessary to successfully start the device.

My tests have shown that this DAC is sensitive to power and USB noise. I was unable to kill the USB noise. As mentioned earlier in this thread, insulating the Ground and +5V contacts of the USB-B cable with kapton tape helped reduce the noise. Only the USB data lines remain. (Perhaps it was a ground loop.)

noise floor.jpg

Last way you can improove DACs performance is low noise linear power supply.

noise ch-lps.jpg

Interesting, that I haven't done a listening test yet ))). I'll add an update later. Also, my measurements may not be correct or there may be some errors. This is my experience.

I also can’t understand where these spikes at 8KHz and 16KHz come from. They decrease when the music is paused and increase when XMOS wakes up and the music starts playing. They are a little visible in the tests of other devices. But that's another story.
P.S.: answer is HERE, HERE and THERE.

Good luck! ;)

Attachments

• PCB Top — MOD.jpg
    PCB Top — MOD.jpg
    293.3 KB · Views: 76
  • noise floor.jpg
    noise floor.jpg
    491.1 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

Topaloff

Yeap, you kinda blinded by insane performance of this s#ity DAC, and can`t even dare to doubt, that china feeds us with s#it...
I was naive too to many times and relied on measurments on web. But reality gave me a slap in the face. Rather go open phisics books and take an oscilloscope. Proofs are obvious. But I awaited such reaction at this forum.. :facepalm:
Please post yours independent measurments and let's compare them sir. Chears! :facepalm:
...that means that even this crappy old sound card can highlight the problem.

Last edited:

hyp

My LA-QXD1 failed today. The left channel suddenly stopped working. I've no idea what I did wrong. I've tried two different amplifiers as well as different headphones. It's the Soncoz that failed. After reading this thread, I've got a feeling soncoz will just ignore this issue. They've even pulled the thesycon drivers from their download page of their website. 200USD for it fail in 2 years. What a waste...
Has anyone been able to solve this problem?

Last edited:

Topaloff

I think you need to check operational amplifiers for heating. People said, that static discharge may damage op amps.

hyp

I think you need to check operational amplifiers for heating. People said, that static discharge may damage op amps.
Thanks for the info. But even if I could narrow the problem down to a blown op amp, how would I be able to fix it? Unfortunately I am not an electrical engineer and I've never held a soldering iron in my life.

I honestly don't know what to do at this point. It's been 2 years since I purchased it, and therefore it's out of a warranty. Who knew it'd last for just 2 years. People should know what they are getting into when buying from Soncoz. What good is a "good-measuring" DAC if it's going to die in less than 2 years. The part that is more concerning is the complete absence of customer support for these issues. I've already sent @Sophia Ann messages regarding this issue before making the post and she has not replied. I also find it alarming that they are seemingly ignoring all the customer issues on this forum of late.

I will wait a bit longer for Soncoz to respond and at least make an effort to fix my broken LA-QXD1. But by the looks of it, they'll just ignore my issue just like they've done with countless others.

@Ben1987 Own up to it and fix it or stop selling shoddy products that break in a couple years. The least you can do is acknowledge the issue and make an attempt to fix it.

sq225917

Major Contributor
Amir's tests showed no issue with usb noise, so you may wish to test outside of a soundcard environment. The 8khz and the 16k, 2nd harmonic are usb packet noise.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I wouldn't buy anything from Soncoz. Too many issues.

EMMA

Thanks for the info. But even if I could narrow the problem down to a blown op amp, how would I be able to fix it? Unfortunately I am not an electrical engineer and I've never held a soldering iron in my life.

I honestly don't know what to do at this point. It's been 2 years since I purchased it, and therefore it's out of a warranty. Who knew it'd last for just 2 years. People should know what they are getting into when buying from Soncoz. What good is a "good-measuring" DAC if it's going to die in less than 2 years. The part that is more concerning is the complete absence of customer support for these issues. I've already sent @Sophia Ann messages regarding this issue before making the post and she has not replied. I also find it alarming that they are seemingly ignoring all the customer issues on this forum of late.

I will wait a bit longer for Soncoz to respond and at least make an effort to fix my broken LA-QXD1. But by the looks of it, they'll just ignore my issue just like they've done with countless others.

@Ben1987 Own up to it and fix it or stop selling shoddy products that break in a couple years. The least you can do is acknowledge the issue and make an attempt to fix it.
If the machine is purchased from an agent, please contact them if there is a problem; If the machine is purchased from Ann, please contact me ([email protected]). Ann has been out of the Soncoz team for a while, any questions about soncoz products, just contact me.

EMMA

Regarding the electrostatic problem of QXD1, we solved it very early. This unit were obviously the earliest batch. However, it took two years for the problem to appear. There are also many earlier machines without problems. To be honest, the use environment is very big relationship. In addition, we will never evade any problems with SONCOZ products, and we will try our best to help solve them.
This is our official website: www.soncoz.com
There are after-sales policies and our contact information in it, if it is a unit purchased from a dealer or us, we will not ignore it.

hyp

If the machine is purchased from an agent, please contact them if there is a problem; If the machine is purchased from Ann, please contact me ([email protected]). Ann has been out of the Soncoz team for a while, any questions about soncoz products, just contact me.
Thanks for getting back to me @EMMA I sent you an email regarding the issue. I hope can get resolved well.
Regarding the electrostatic problem of QXD1, we solved it very early. This unit were obviously the earliest batch. However, it took two years for the problem to appear. There are also many earlier machines without problems. To be honest, the use environment is very big relationship. In addition, we will never evade any problems with SONCOZ products, and we will try our best to help solve them.
This is our official website: www.soncoz.com
There are after-sales policies and our contact information in it, if it is a unit purchased from a dealer or us, we will not ignore it.
Yes, after reading the entire thread I noticed that it was fixed a while back. But for those of us who purchased the earlier problematic batch, what can we do to extend the life of the LA-QXD1? Is there anything the customer can do to the PCB or the outer casing to prevent this electrostatic discharge from occurring again? If I do get my LA-QXD1 fixed, I would not like such an issue to happen again.

EMMA

Thanks for getting back to me @EMMA I sent you an email regarding the issue. I hope can get resolved well.

Yes, after reading the entire thread I noticed that it was fixed a while back. But for those of us who purchased the earlier problematic batch, what can we do to extend the life of the LA-QXD1? Is there anything the customer can do to the PCB or the outer casing to prevent this electrostatic discharge from occurring again? If I do get my LA-QXD1 fixed, I would not like such an issue to happen again.
After the repair, this problem will not occur, and the previous suggestion is to make the metal surface of the QXD1 in contact with the surface area of other metal devices as much as possible. In normal use, it is recommended to use a good quality power supply or adapter for power supply.

volkl77n

any idea what happened to the download page in the soncoz site?
It's still there. Click on the "Material" tab.

Topaloff

It works ok. Press "Material" link.
Screenshot_2022-09-17-16-26-25-17_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

FreaK

After listening to the Soncoz off and on over the past year, I have had in my system regularly for the past few days, and I have to say I'm impressed. Compared to the Audiolab mdac I use regularly otherwise, the Soncoz seems smoother with no loss of detail, and the soundstage appears to have more depth. Overall, a very pleasant listen.
All of this is just made up by your brain, not real. Please read more here on ASR, and/or watch some of Amir's videos (dac, cable reviews for example), he explains very well why you think you hear those differences.

This isn't true in the case if the Audiolab dac, you are comparing to, is a really really bad design or is malfunctioning, but it's highly unlikely.

Top Bottom