• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some actually believe that music from different drive types (SSD,HDD) or different SATA cables can sound different

JRS

Major Contributor
Here's a thing you can still encounter in city centers in the Netherlands... it's called a 'draaiorgel' (google it).
Very hifi, no jitter, works on punchcards.

for those that cannot get enough of this ...:D

Ok that was fun. Quirkier than a Coen Brothers movie, only with a more interesting plot.

(actually I am a fan of theirs). This one is worth a watch for sure.

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Amateurs. Don’t they know the most analogue sound comes from floppy disk. You change side halfway through each track and have about 20 per album but the sound is to die for. People like flipping vinyl? Wait till you’ve flipped floppy.
Floppy disks indeed sound amazing.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Four pages already! wow!
I suppose we soon gonna be talking about audiophile internet connections too.
I mean Qubuz (or illegally downloaded torrents) from provider A is going to sound better than provider B.
Who said ignorance was bliss!

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
He then said my monitor is trash and not good enough to tell the difference.
ahh... The emporer's new clothes syndrome ;)

To wit (in audio), "if you cannot hear the jaw-dropping difference between (e.g.) Cable A and Cable B on your own system -- then clearly your system is not resolving enough."

often followed by
"Cable A literally wiped the floor with Cable B" (if and only if -- of course -- Cable A is both an order of magnitude more expensive and more attractively constructed than Cable B).

Do I sound cynical? ;)

Eggs Ackley

Best quote from that crazy thread is:
"The better sound of the gaseous state travels through the air"

OP
S
ahh... The emporer's new clothes syndrome ;)

To wit (in audio), "if you cannot hear the jaw-dropping difference between (e.g.) Cable A and Cable B on your own system -- then clearly your system is not resolving enough."

often followed by
"Cable A literally wiped the floor with Cable B" (if and only if -- of course -- Cable A is both an order of magnitude more expensive and more attractively constructed than Cable B).

Do I sound cynical? ;)
They knew that 99.9% owners of million-dollar speaker systems don't browse those forum so their theory of "your equipment is not good enough" can hold up pretty well.

But hey if you ask them to take a picture of their "high end gear" with a timestamp they just vanish.:facepalm:

2ndHarm

No, he just disappeared into the abyss as soon as I mentioned technical stuff and asked for photo evidence.

I asked him why my 8K monitor which needs to be driven by two DP 1.4 simultaneously for a 8bit 60Hz output will not show a difference down the middle of the screen, as two cables each drive half of the display. The downside of this is sometimes when I boot up the screen just tore down the middle while scrolling and needs to be reconnected a few times. I asked him if such monitor cable BS is true, do I need to match DP cables left and right just like some vacuum tubes? LOL he of course cannot answer such questions.
Ha - that would be a perfect test - I imagine he wouldn't want to try it because it would so readily show that different cables don't have any effect.

D

Deleted member 23982

actually newer versions of moode have a setting for a "input cache size" (which is a cache to load songs into the RAM before playback) its off by default but it clearly has some effect on audio quality, so im actually a believer too no matter how voodoo its for you guys

im not a computer scientiest but for me the easiest explanation is jitter which comes around (or gets increased) by the media its playing from, if the media gets cut completely because its preloaded to ram (which on normal playback should be used to, its just loaded into ram "on the go") it gets quite obvious

i think its not floppy vs ssd vs hdd but the implimitations of the drive (or the reader in case of CD/FLOPPY) itself, so one ssd can sound better than the other and so on
but it just gets "obvious" if you listened to the same song many times on the same setup ( and even better NOT listening to other setups in that time) and then change something.... you will hear a difference with critical "trained" listening... the question is how big the difference is, its not that big but many little improvements can add up, which is in my opinion the case with power cables / audiophile fuses / connectors / op amps / jitter / even which kind of capacitors get used, and other stuff people describe as "voodoo", some things also just "really" show up on already improved systems in those categories (and more)

2ndHarm

actually newer versions of moode have a setting for a "input cache size" (which is a cache to load songs into the RAM before playback) its off by default but it clearly has some effect on audio quality, so im actually a believer too no matter how voodoo its for you guys

im not a computer scientiest but for me the easiest explanation is jitter which comes around (or gets increased) by the media its playing from, if the media gets cut completely because its preloaded to ram (which on normal playback should be used to, its just loaded into ram "on the go") it gets quite obvious

i think its not floppy vs ssd vs hdd but the implimitations of the drive (or the reader in case of CD/FLOPPY) itself, so one ssd can sound better than the other and so on
but it just gets "obvious" if you listened to the same song many times on the same setup ( and even better NOT listening to other setups in that time) and then change something.... you will hear a difference with critical "trained" listening... the question is how big the difference is, its not that big but many little improvements can add up, which is in my opinion the case with power cables / audiophile fuses / connectors / op amps / jitter / even which kind of capacitors get used, and other stuff people describe as "voodoo", some things also just "really" show up on already improved systems in those categories (and more)
I recognize those problems you're talking about. My computers are extremely unreliable at playing music - the processor interrupts playback as it does other things at the same time - causing stutter (you call it jitter, but that's another thing altogether) during playback.
You don't need to have golden ears to hear it LOL.
The way to get around it is to use an external USB sound dongle (pretty cheap on Amazon) which isolates the music from the RF noise from the power supply and other noises the computer makes while operating.
It doesn't matter whether you're playing from the HDD or a CD or whether it's an SSD or a rotating hard drive - the music is loaded into RAM a few seconds at a time (the buffer). The computer plays it the same way, from RAM after loading a bit at a time.
Updated drivers can help make the sound better, but you won't get great sound from the computer without an external sound dongle or card.
I've used them for years in worship settings where any little noise or interruption in playback can be heard at volume with over 2000 watts of amplification and as many as 1000 people - I rely on good settings on my equipment and am not satisfied until all is quiet without any background noise. It's not rocket science or magic.

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You see I am no plumber!
My gas boiler started to play up, and I was sure it was circulating pump, so I changed it - it was difficult and rusty, water everywhere!
It cured it, so I thought - then it played up again, so I changed something else - no it wasn't that either! Dammmn.
Finally I called a plumber, guy came in, half his arse showing through his belt, he put his hand in there, loosened a thumb-screw (I was watching like a hawk), it hissed and some air came out and when it started dripping, he closed the screw - 150 quid please! . . . . I paid with my jaw still on the floor! it was fixed.
Can you get my drift?
Those who are not knowledgable about something, assume thick'n'thin, blame this'n'that and keep missing the point that insists Keep to what you know!
No, it is not the cache, nor the speed of the connection or the speed of your CPU.
Just because you don't know what's causing the issues you are having, it doesn't mean it is a mystery and/or larger cache would cure it!
Standard un-compressed CD music (not flac, not MP3 ...) has a data rate of 1.4Mb/s (8 bits to a byte) means 0.175MBytes per second. This is the original data-rate off the disc without any attempt to make it smaller (flac is about half to 1/3, MP3 is tiny).
An old fashion rotating hard disk (not SSD) of 20 years ago(!) had a sustained read speed of about 50 Mbytes per second - you see why it has nothing to do with that?

Last edited:

tw99

This is just a standard Audiophile Nonsense explanation. You’d do well to read more on this site and educate yourself about the facts.
I mean what is the point of just making things up like “jitter which comes from the medium”, where the medium (ram, ssd, hdd) doesn’t affect jitter at all?

D

Deleted member 23982

This is just a standard Audiophile Nonsense explanation. You’d do well to read more on this site and educate yourself about the facts.
the fact is i readed too much nonsense about things dont matter and in the end hearing a (reproducable) difference... thats why i test things myself instead of just believing either the voodoo group or the measurement group and then believe in myself, tho i have to say the voodoo guys are right way too often... >.<

ever heared about absolute phase doesnt matter? like what? 95% of people are saying?.... yes it does matter, i can give you two tracks and tell you exactly what you need to listen for, early versions of the Topping D10 actually have a inversed polarity..... (fortunaly you can just flip the polarity with moode)

I mean what is the point of just making things up like “jitter which comes from the medium”, where the medium (ram, ssd, hdd) doesn’t affect jitter at all?
you can actually with moode audio and a rpi, underlcock the cpu, dedicate cores to audio tasks and raising process priority for audio tasks and it does make a difference if you believe me or not, a minor one but still (pretty sure its mostly because of jitter...or/and less interference)

Also i can say windows with a "normal" full blown desktop pc setup just sucks sounds wise, moode/rpi always sounds way better, how is that if the pc doesnt make a difference? (yes even with a dac connected to usb....) i just gave up on windows audio (linux with the same pc isnt that much better, and alsa/pulseaudio need to be optimzed) and use cheap headphones with a soundcard on my normal pc

this is also probably the best test for people that dont believe me, just get a rpi4 and test moode for yourself if you still use windows, it should elimate most pc problems, depeding on the hdd/ssd you use but the media difference is like REALLY negliable if you test windows (normal pc) vs moode

the biggest problem i see is that people dont have the setup to actually reveal those improvements so they end up seeing it as voodoo too

danadam

Addicted to Fun and Learning
the biggest problem i see is that people dont have the setup to actually reveal those improvements so they end up seeing it as voodoo too
Exactly one month after:
:)

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
I would avoid storing audio files on a Helium filled HDD. You don't need to be a rocket scientist to work out what that would do to the vocals... :)
If the drive has MEMS oscillators like certain iPhones you have a real reason to avoid Helium.

D

Deleted member 23982

Cause.

Effect.
i dont have a problem with you thinking this :) quite the opposite

either you test moode vs windows which is quite a easy test which should maybe open your eyes or keep denying
and im pretty sure saying people "hear things that are not there" is also possible the other way around if people dont go to it objectivly
like i said before, not sure if this was this thread, get known to your setup, get used to some SPECIFIC songs and after a few days, preferably weeks change it to moode and listen to the same songs, preferably just listen to your one setup and not multiple ones in that time... its the easiest way (atleast for me) if something has changed

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This proves that bits is bits and tits is tits.
I beg to differ.
have you seen this:
same applies to tits!
Don't care about bits, they look after themselves (pun intended).

Last edited:

Ken Tajalli

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
i dont have a problem with you thinking this :) quite the opposite

either you test moode vs windows which is quite a easy test which should maybe open your eyes or keep denying
and im pretty sure saying people "hear things that are not there" is also possible the other way around if people dont go to it objectivly
like i said before, not sure if this was this thread, get known to your setup, get used to some SPECIFIC songs and after a few days, preferably weeks change it to moode and listen to the same songs, preferably just listen to your one setup and not multiple ones in that time... its the easiest way (atleast for me) if something has changed
Try
- jRiver on Windows !
set it up right and Windows is bypassed.
manufacturers use it.
- Neutron on Android bypasses Android.
Neither have "sound Quality " , they just dish out the bits, or if you so choose, you can use DSP and then dish out the bits.
either way, operating system is bypassed.

D

Deleted member 23982

- jRiver on Windows !
set it up right and Windows is bypassed.
the qobuz app also will use the dac in exclusive mode and bypasses the windows mixer if you choose the right output in the qobuz app
but moode still sounds better (i actually use bubbleupnp on android to stream qobuz over upnp (over wlan) to moode then)

the "noisy" pc must be the answer, i dont have a better explanation
and i actually have a diy usb cable which splits up power and datalines and still...

Top Bottom