• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some actually believe that music from different drive types (SSD,HDD) or different SATA cables can sound different

Jarrett

Hate to bump this, but has anyone out there measured playback performance on an SSD vs hard drive like ASR would? I'm curious if there are measurable benefits.

Ricardus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hate to bump this, but has anyone out there measured playback performance on an SSD vs hard drive like ASR would? I'm curious if there are measurable benefits.
What kind of benefits are you thinking of?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Like how many streams of music could a SSD drive sustain versus a old rotary drive? LoL. :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Like how many streams of music could a SSD drive sustain versus a old rotary drive? LoL. :D
The old hard drives have a vintage sound, I bet.

2ndHarm

I stream music all the time from SSDs or even over WIFI to my NAS which uses commercial quality rotating hard drives without issue.
Honestly, the requirements for audio PCM transfer is so low compared to things like streaming video, that this shouldn't ever be an issue.
Now, a slow computer will have issues, buffering and drop outs were common on older machines. In those situations, an SSD would provide some benefit in faster access speeds - but no difference in "quality."

Bob from Florida

Major Contributor
SSD's have some advantages in a music server. No vibrational noise - if you are close enough to hear it without music playing. Low power consumption during reads. Instant reads - no spin up time because the drive went to sleep. They are almost cheap enough to be first choice.

JSmith

Master Contributor
There is actually an "audiophool" ssd... :facepalm:

S__5302702.thumb.jpg.a198874cc424344dcb683d73782a385e.jpg

JSmith

Jarrett

I didn't even really want to get in a conversation about it. I mean the kind of article Amir might post to dispel popular audiophile beliefs.

MoreWatts

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

This thing is $999 BTW... Unclear if that is for 320 or 960 GB. :facepalm:

"zzyzxphile.com"

From Wikipedia:

Zzyzx (/ˈzaɪzɪks/ ZY-ziks), formerly Soda Springs, is an unincorporated community in San Bernardino County, California, within the boundaries of the Mojave National Preserve, managed by the National Park Service (NPS), an agency of the U.S. Department of Interior, as public land. It is the former site of the Zzyzx Mineral Springs and Health Spa[1] and now the site of the Desert Studies Center. The site is also the location of Lake Tuendae, originally part of the spa, and now a refuge habitat of the endangered Mohave tui chub.

Interstate 15 exit sign for Zzyzx Road

Zzyzx Road is a 4.5-mile-long (7.2 km), part paved and part dirt, rural collector road in the Mojave Desert. It runs from Interstate 15 generally south to the Zzyzx settlement.

The nearest populated area is the small town of Baker, California, 7 miles (11 km) north on Interstate 15. Las Vegas, Nevada, is the nearest major city, about 100 miles (160 km) northeast.

**Warranty claims will be handled by the nearest Mojave Tui Chub.**

The entrepeneur who started the spa claimed Zzyzx was the 'last word in the English language,' although in a business-practical sense it was supposed to be the last name listed in the old-school telephone book 'White Pages.'

Last edited:

radix

Major Contributor

S__5302702.thumb.jpg.a198874cc424344dcb683d73782a385e.jpg

JSmith
"the world's only NVMe M2 SSD designed for audiophiles and music lovers" because no one else is so stupid to think streaming kBps needs special technology.

2ndHarm

SSD's have some advantages in a music server. No vibrational noise - if you are close enough to hear it without music playing. Low power consumption during reads. Instant reads - no spin up time because the drive went to sleep. They are almost cheap enough to be first choice.
S'true. My NAS which is in another room elsewhere in the house makes a bit of noise while seeking which you can only hear when it's quiet. But, yes - the SSDs are silent. The best thing for music or video streaming from any kind of storage device is a good sized RAM buffer.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- It is easy to pooh-pooh this stuff, totally forgetting that the vast public is ignorant about how all this stuff works, so they have no reason to think cables or hard drives or whatever cannot make a difference. It's like the many people believing in COVID vaccine microchips-that's not possible at the current state of the (declassified) art, but most people aren't aware of that, and see amazing scientific miracles every day, so why shouldn't it be possible?
- Even if the best theory says X can't make a difference, it should still be tested. Sometimes unexpected things happen. Even John Atkinson at Stereophile once measured somewhat different noise or jitter or something which he was then "bothered" by because it shouldn't happen like that. And just now in their July 2023 issue, page 67 shows measurements of a really high quality streamer with different DACs compared to a PC. The results are NOT the same. Is that the bits? The tits? The nits? Maybe it's kind-of other stuff but I feel "bits are bits" gets conflated into "any crappy hardware is fine because it's all digital and therefore perfect"

2ndHarm

So did any of these folks attempt to store the bits on good old magnetic tape?
We used to do that all the time. They were called tape backup drives and were the only way to store large amounts of data offline or near offline storage. I had a Sony Datcorder that saved music in digital form to tape that I used for years. The benefit of digital .wav files is that I could make instant and perfect copies - multiple backups, convert to other formats and burn to CDs. That was all we had until hard drives got large and fast enough to allow using them for storage.

2ndHarm

- It is easy to pooh-pooh this stuff, totally forgetting that the vast public is ignorant about how all this stuff works, so they have no reason to think cables or hard drives or whatever cannot make a difference. It's like the many people believing in COVID vaccine microchips-that's not possible at the current state of the (declassified) art, but most people aren't aware of that, and see amazing scientific miracles every day, so why shouldn't it be possible?
- Even if the best theory says X can't make a difference, it should still be tested. Sometimes unexpected things happen. Even John Atkinson at Stereophile once measured somewhat different noise or jitter or something which he was then "bothered" by because it shouldn't happen like that. And just now in their July 2023 issue, page 67 shows measurements of a really high quality streamer with different DACs compared to a PC. The results are NOT the same. Is that the bits? The tits? The nits? Maybe it's kind-of other stuff but I feel "bits are bits" gets conflated into "any crappy hardware is fine because it's all digital and therefore perfect"
I'm still trying to divine your thought processes here. Are you saying that there may be differences in the way data bits and bytes are stored on SSDs vs. HD drives that would make a difference in the sound when streamed to a DAC and converted to analog?

Further to your comment - comparing DACs of any kind to the audio output on a PC is not an apples to oranges comparison. The PC audio output is analog and therefore is fraught with all the RF noise, leakage from the power supply and data transfers cross talk that muddies the output. The best comparison on a PC would be with an external USB DAC that took the PCM data straight from the computer without conversion - leaving that to the outboard DAC that exists in a nice quiet setting.

Top Bottom