• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Some actually believe that music from different drive types (SSD,HDD) or different SATA cables can sound different

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is awesome! It puts player pianos to shame.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please, the best is only the rarest of the lot, the Zip Drive
Zip drive was constructed in huge volume compared with the ZX Microdrive. I still have one of these in the loft - attached to a ZX spectrum. I wonder if it will still work. A cartridge might be able to hold 10 mp3 files.

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
pwooahh I bet that would sound to die for
Now thinking about how much effort would be involved in hooking up some sort of DAC to a zx spectrum.....

Now concluding....... life is too damn short :D

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
how your brain works
Aha! That's it! Recent physics experiments have shown that observers can change the outcome of experiments, so THAT must be what is happening. Now you all must excuse me, I am going to go meditate and concentrate on making my $29 Bluetooth speaker morph into MBL 101s, and my house into a suitable listening hall...and while I'm at it, my MacBook Air into a Cray EX*

(*true story: one night in college I called up a buddy, who was system operator for the University Of Illinois supercomputer. After a bit of chit-chat he said "well I gotta go, the system is down and so I'm sitting at the world's most expensive PC!"o_O:D)

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always been able to tell when Apple and Amazon have refreshed their SANS.

2ndHarm

Aha! That's it! Recent physics experiments have shown that observers can change the outcome of experiments, so THAT must be what is happening. Now you all must excuse me, I am going to go meditate and concentrate on making my $29 Bluetooth speaker morph into MBL 101s, and my house into a suitable listening hall...and while I'm at it, my MacBook Air into a Cray EX*

(*true story: one night in college I called up a buddy, who was system operator for the University Of Illinois supercomputer. After a bit of chit-chat he said "well I gotta go, the system is down and so I'm sitting at the world's most expensive PC!"o_O:D)
I don't know why I didn't catch on to your satire before - I apologize if I went all mansplaining on this silly subject.

Matsuo Mayu

Hi, trust me, just pass these Chinese forum that propagandize cables...
just check the founder and other members who are his fans.

It just a business at a great extent.

And most of the audiophiles indeed lack of education on the science of physics.

OP
S

Hi, trust me, just pass these Chinese forum that propagandize cables...
just check the founder and other members who are his fans.

It just a business at a great extent.

And most of the audiophiles indeed lack of education on the science of physics.
I am pretty sure I am going to be banned from there after arguing with a member that $2,000 HDMI cables don't make image quality any better than a normal one. I asked him and another member to show me some photos of the image qualities before and after cable swaps. Of course he rejected this and claimed I was too dumb to understand the sophistication of LCD technology and human eyes. :)

He also claimed that DisplayPort for some reason cannot get as high-end as HDMI does, after I tried to tell him I can't see any difference with any DP cable swaps on my $5,000 8k monitor. He then said my monitor is trash and not good enough to tell the difference.

Among his posts, Ahhh, more rubbish concerning vibration-eliminating merchandise, digital cables, expensive DDC converting software.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
show me some photos of the image qualities before and after cable swaps. Of course he rejected this
I feel your pain! I made a similar request https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...e-ac-conditioner.1108097/page-3#post-28318525 and so far (not too long yet though), nothing. Interesting that Shunyata posits noise floor improvements...in medical devices. No proof of anything related to audio. "Staging" or "image depth" or whatever is hard to "measure" but a clearer picture, less noise if visible is damn sure photographable, I won't let any of those folks off the hook.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think I still have an external drive and a few cartridges in a box back in the USA. Do Audioquest or Nordost make a cable for it?
Where are you? Sounds like a lllllllllllloooooooooooonnnnnngggggggg cable, surely they would be glad to charge you accordingly...

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Edit: paper tape MIGHT be an acceptable substitute for those with nervous system disorders which make it difficult to keep card decks organized.
Dots and dashes burned into titanium plates. Somebody is actually doing that, though I forget if it was titanium or ceramic or what. Onto archival paper is actually a real thing too, though I don't know at what scale.

OP
S
I feel your pain! I made a similar request https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/thre...e-ac-conditioner.1108097/page-3#post-28318525 and so far (not too long yet though), nothing. Interesting that Shunyata posits noise floor improvements...in medical devices. No proof of anything related to audio. "Staging" or "image depth" or whatever is hard to "measure" but a clearer picture, less noise if visible is damn sure photographable, I won't let any of those folks off the hook.
Absolutely. I posted in the original thread, that the only reason why high-end HDMI cable reviewers never do an A/B exhibition on their reviews, and why companies like AudioQuest never ever show two TVs each with their own cable and a $5 cable on the same stand at a gear show, is that there is no picture improvement. They understand that and don't want to be embarrassed. Instead they just do paid "reviews" that include nothing more than vague wording and complete BS.

2ndHarm

I am pretty sure I am going to be banned from there after arguing with a member that $2,000 HDMI cables don't make image quality any better than a normal one. I asked him and another member to show me some photos of the image qualities before and after cable swaps. Of course he rejected this and claimed I was too dumb to understand the sophistication of LCD technology and human eyes. :)

He also claimed that DisplayPort for some reason cannot get as high-end as HDMI does, after I tried to tell him I can't see any difference with any DP cable swaps on my $5,000 8k monitor. He then said my monitor is trash and not good enough to tell the difference.

Among his posts, Ahhh, more rubbish concerning vibration-eliminating merchandise, digital cables, expensive DDC converting software.
Does he respond to facts?
HDMI 2.0 supports a maximum bandwidth of 18 Gbps, which is enough to handle 4K resolution at up to 60Hz, or 1080p at up to 240Hz. In comparison, DisplayPort 1.4 has a maximum bandwidth of 32.4Gbps, which opens up much greater resolution and frame rate potential.

OP
S
Does he respond to facts?
HDMI 2.0 supports a maximum bandwidth of 18 Gbps, which is enough to handle 4K resolution at up to 60Hz, or 1080p at up to 240Hz. In comparison, DisplayPort 1.4 has a maximum bandwidth of 32.4Gbps, which opens up much greater resolution and frame rate potential.
No, he just disappeared into the abyss as soon as I mentioned technical stuff and asked for photo evidence.

I asked him why my 8K monitor which needs to be driven by two DP 1.4 simultaneously for a 8bit 60Hz output will not show a difference down the middle of the screen, as two cables each drive half of the display. The downside of this is sometimes when I boot up the screen just tore down the middle while scrolling and needs to be reconnected a few times. I asked him if such monitor cable BS is true, do I need to match DP cables left and right just like some vacuum tubes? LOL he of course cannot answer such questions.

JRS

Major Contributor
And what's more is that the founder of that forum commented below and supports that hard drives make a difference, saying things like "Theory of relativity was not proven until later, just like hard drive's contribution toward sound quality can be proved later"

Then I found out that he is a seller of audio gear himself, and among his stock, of course, some prestigious accessories.

:p
No doorbells, or phones or other speakers of any kind if you are truly serious about audio. Or so sayeth Ivor Tiefenbrun of Lynn audio IIRC. Always thought that was a bit nutty, but Linn products are highly regarded for SQ. And as they should be, listen to Igor's son (I'm guessing) wax poetic about the new 39,000 pound sterling streamer. https://www.linn.co.uk/us/new-klimax-dsm

Last edited:

JRS

Major Contributor
The Earth is indeed flat, if you process your raw measurements taking Pi to be exactly 22/7. Some people will go to the ends of the Earth to fit the facts to their beliefs.

The idea of the Sun ever rising in the west remains risible, though.
When I encounter that nonsense, I respond "no the Earth isn't flat, but the Universe is." That seems to stop them for a second. Not they they get it, but it amuses me.

JRS

Major Contributor
I notice the sound on my system sounds more open if I take the screens off the windows in my listening room.
Clearly you haven't been doing your homework. Windows best benefit from the Marigo Audio tuning dots. I Wilson owner's testimonial to the huge dividends of a measly 350 bucks can be found here. Tey are ard to see in te corner of the packet, the woofer dots are larger.
dotty.PNG

Top Bottom