• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Solid Core Wiring

Familiarity with solid core wiring:

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
We’ll see how open minded people like you are if I provide evidence for a difference.

Bring it on - but make sure it is rigorous.

"My wife* clearly heard it" doesn't cut it.

*insert name(s) of any individual or individuals here.

OP
A

arpinnurmela

Bring it on - but make sure it is rigorous.

"My wife clearly heard it" doesn't cut it.
@tonycollinet. I agree. My “insert person here” doesn’t cut it. Especially on this forum.

Somehow I think rigor is going to be in the eye of the beholder, but I’m certainly not asking for any liberal interpretation of rigor. I’ll do what I can do. Even if it doesn’t support my beliefs I’ll post what I can.

OP
A

arpinnurmela

Yes. That website is mine. Yes. That person is me. Yes. I also posted that website in my profile. I’m not trying to hide this. I have made cables for two different people for money. One person definitely heard a difference but didn’t ultimately like what he heard. The other person seems to be enjoying the speaker wire I made. That’s my entire “business” history.

Last edited:

TrevC

@tonycollinet. I have started to think that I may be hearing differences in resistance. Solid metal connectors do seem to make a difference as well. I ran some off the cuff calculations and it did seem that solid metal connectors have significantly reduced resistance. I’m not sure how that would really matter at a single junction point but I have heard a big difference when swapping connectors and jacks over to solid metal or ultra thick platings.

When I’ve replaced wiring to tweeters, which usually have 18ga or smaller gauge, with air gapped 16 gauge, I do hear a big difference on the top end with just that wire swap. Frankly, it does not make sense to me, but maybe somehow resistance is at play here.
I have an explanation. It's very well known and has nothing to do with resistance. :)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom