• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-9 vs D1se

WoollyGeezer

Can anyone explain the differences between the two products?

The SU-9 is 450$ and the D1se is 300-400$ more.

They appear to have the same features and the same internal software....

su-9.png
d1se.png

Is it only the chassis or does one have better circuitry?

Roland68

Major Contributor
SU-9 has a SMPS power supply, D1se a linear with transformer.
And don't forget the adjustable feet of the D1se ;).

OP
W

WoollyGeezer

And don't forget the adjustable feet of the D1se ;).

The 3 rubber feet on the SU-9 are not ideal lol.

Does the linear with a transformer make a difference in longevity considering the voltage is coming off a high-quality pure sine wave ups?

I would think the transformer would potentially cause issues...

Roland68

Major Contributor
Personally, I don't like SMPS power supplies in audio devices, although I now own two headphone amplifiers with them myself.
In my experience, transformer linear power supplies are more durable and easier to repair on such audio devices.

The D1se belongs to the high-end series from SMSL. Unfortunately, I can't say anything about the circuit or component quality, as there are no pictures of the open device yet.
But in the price range I would look at the D90se from Topping.

OP
W

WoollyGeezer

Personally, I don't like SMPS power supplies in audio devices, although I now own two headphone amplifiers with them myself.
In my experience, transformer linear power supplies are more durable and easier to repair on such audio devices.

The D1se belongs to the high-end series from SMSL. Unfortunately, I can't say anything about the circuit or component quality, as there are no pictures of the open device yet.

I actually JUST purchased the d70s. Would the D90se be a significant upgrade? Considering the prices aren't too much different but the AKM chip intrigued me. I still have a few hours to change my order .

Roland68

Major Contributor
I actually JUST purchased the d70s. Would the D90se be a significant upgrade? Considering the prices aren't too much different but the AKM chip intrigued me. I still have a few hours to change my order .
According to John, one of the developers, it should be significantly more developed than the D70.
I haven't heard the D90se, but I've heard from two people I know that they are very impressed.

kiyu

vmv da1se, you can see an inside picture here
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...e-balanced-es9038pro.23514/page-3#post-903128

kiyu

well I was considering the smsl su-9 vs d1se some time ago, infact I asked mandy smsl :p, because apart from the toroidal transform and some nichikon capacitor, I don't see much of a difference,
I saw on promo at $620 a couple of days ago in ali express, still not sure if actually worth the upgrade or not, According to "golden sound" "is one the best dac for less than 1000$", but he mentioned during a review for denafris ares 2.
I really like the product, but not sure if worth the difference, I mean that toroidal transform and those 2 or 3 nichikon, does NOT cost 300 dollars...

Roland68

Major Contributor

kiyu

It is good that the entire output stage (after the ES9038pro) of the D1SE has no resemblance to that of the SU-9 :facepalm:
not sure if that was a positive comment for D1se or a negative one lol :p the output stage for SU-9 is bad?
can you or someone see a big difference between su9 and d1se? I might need to search for a Su-9 inside picture

Roland68

Major Contributor
not sure if that was a positive comment for D1se or a negative one lol :p the output stage for SU-9 is bad?
can you or someone see a big difference between su9 and d1se? I might need to search for a Su-9 inside picture
That was pure sarcasm. The circuit of the output stage looks completely the same and apparently it is also used in other devices.
Most of it is very similar. The visible difference is the transformer and the linear power supply. That can have a positive effect, but it doesn't have to be.

G-rig

I tested the SU-9 and was getting some mild 'pops' when power on/off and changing inputs.
Would the enthusiast-grade Japanese nichicon KG series filter capacitors and low-noise power supply solve this issue (which isn't seen on other quality brands anyway)?

I seems that the D1SE would feel a bit more premium and have less issues than the SU-9, shame no LDAC for bluetooth.
This or the Topping D90SE? I don't need a super clinical sound, the D1SE should be nice as far as vocals, mids and instrument separation?

kiyu

I tested the SU-9 and was getting some mild 'pops' when power on/off and changing inputs.
Would the enthusiast-grade Japanese nichicon KG series filter capacitors and low-noise power supply solve this issue (which isn't seen on other quality brands anyway)?

I seems that the D1SE would feel a bit more premium and have less issues than the SU-9, shame no LDAC for bluetooth.
This or the Topping D90SE? I don't need a super clinical sound, the D1SE should be nice as far as vocals, mids and instrument separation?
This might help you or not..

Cisco150

well I was considering the smsl su-9 vs d1se some time ago, infact I asked mandy smsl :p, because apart from the toroidal transform and some nichikon capacitor, I don't see much of a difference,
I saw on promo at $620 a couple of days ago in ali express, still not sure if actually worth the upgrade or not, According to "golden sound" "is one the best dac for less than 1000$", but he mentioned during a review for denafris ares 2.
I really like the product, but not sure if worth the difference, I mean that toroidal transform and those 2 or 3 nichikon, does NOT cost 300 dollars...
Which one did u go for I'm looking at the SU-9 or the D1SE, or even the DO200. Looking for a less harsh unit to my ears. I'm I have is the SP200 with Ananda. Did Mandy say there was a big difference from SU-9 or D1SE

G-rig

Which one did u go for I'm looking at the SU-9 or the D1SE, or even the DO200. Looking for a less harsh unit to my ears. I'm I have is the SP200 with Ananda. Did Mandy say there was a big difference from SU-9 or D1SE
The r2r DAC would be cool but no doubt too expensive anyway. What about D10 balanced if it was for a PC setup

kiyu

none so far, I am waiting for some discount and I will decide, but yeah same as you I am between Do200, d1se and maybe gustard x18,
board for the Gustard x18 looks really solid and it measures almost the same as de D90se, but I am a bit afraid that sound ultra-clean, clinical sound,
according to some reviewers, D200 and D1se are a bit warmer

JSmith

Master Contributor
I am a bit afraid that sound ultra-clean, clinical sound,
according to some reviewers
I'd suggest not to listen to these kinds of subjective reviews... the numbers don't lie, rely on them and be happy that you have purchased a high quality transparent DAC, then enjoy the music. :)

JSmith

Top Bottom