• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

shoobopper

badyard

Every box/splitter you put between dac and speakers will downgrade the signal quality...not much point to hunt high end dac then but as you wish.
I agree with you on the box, but a couple of high quality (short) XLR splitter cables are not going to degrade the sound in any perceivable way.

Gyroscopics

Wouldn't XLR be useless at that point because the ports are already occupied with the interconnect between the SU-8 and 789? Or should I go down the XLR splitter route.

Thank you everyone for replying so far :)

The SU-8 simultaneously send output to both XLR and RCA ports.

The SU-8’s XLR output goes to the 789, while it’s RCA goes to the suggested RCA to XLR converter (which also serves as preamp for the JBL). Use XLR female to XLR male cable to the JBL 305. You may run that cable for as long as you like without degrading SQ unlike using long runs of RCA cable. Having separate volume control for your JBL and headphones provides more flexibility and convenience.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
A splitter may not even cause measurable difference. All it changes is the load(input impedance of the next stage) at the output. Normally it's 10k to 100k for each device. According to my experience in measurements. Anything over 500ohm is almost not measurable. You can basically parallel connect 10 thx789 and no issue.

shoobopper

I have decided on my solution. I will have 6in xlr y-cables to interconnect the su-8 to both the 789, and the nobsound mini. I will output from the nobsound mini to my 305p's with xlr 3ft cables as they will be sitting on my desk. This allows me individual control of each volume while maintaining balanced output.

kernelpanic

I can also confirm the pops when changing sample rates on SU-8 version 1.2. They are very loud for me using XLR to powered studio monitors. So much so, I've had to resample everything in Foobar to a consistent rate. Does anyone know any other ways to mitigate this?

I did some further testing on the pops with sample rate changes and found it only occurs when using USB! If I source from coax or optical I can change sample rates on XLR or RCA with no pops at all! USB causes popping with XLR regardless if I use WASAPI or Windows DirectSound. Also confirmed this occurs on both a Win7 and Win10 system with several different USB cables.

Hmmm, seems like maybe USB driver issues then? Or something with the Windows USB audio subsystem? Maybe this something @SMSL-Mandy can chime in on?

Meteo8

Hi, since one month I do have the SU-8. Now I hope to find some more information about an issue. With some DSD files I hear clipping noise at max volume in SU-8. The clipping is there with different headphone amps. I tried it with some example DSD files from 2l.no.

The clipping is audible down to volume setting 32 in SU-8. The Volume setting on amps don't reduce the clipping. I tried a recording with a Roland audio interface. I can see, there is no input clipping, but in frequency spectrum I can see the clipping.

So now I hope someone can test or write some expierence with this issue.

(I use foobar with ASIO and SACD plugin. SU-8 does show dsdxx in display. I hope my english is understandable enough

FireLion

Not at all.Tomorrow we will Upload the tutorial that V1.1 change to V2.

I bought a 1.2 that has the 5v jumped into the 9v but he said he meant ot put a filter cap during the bypass.

Is there a suggested change to make to 1.2 and any pics or diagrams?

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yo, I bought this today and will give my thoughts when it arrives. Meanwhile I would like to ask one thing if I may......tidal master quality tracks used to have lighted white M after the track name in ios and android......now M is not white anymore.....if have chosen master quality streaming from the settings.....do you happen to know about this? Thank you.

Oukkidoukki

Addicted to Fun and Learning
40DC8603-965B-47DE-B556-7E6E5C0F869C.png

FireLion

Weird on two amps if I plug one xlr in I still here it in both headphone drivers. Headphone is working fine on other amps that don't use the SU-8....help!

I'll have another balanced DAC soon to verify if it's the SU-8 or something else in the chain.

myblues

I just got my SU-8 v2 today, and I am quite happy with it.
It seems like the current version has 11 sound colour settings, instead of 9.
The first one: "Standard"
The last (11th) one: "Original"

Does anybody know what's the difference between these two?
It seems "standard" sound clearer than "original" but not sure which is scientifically better.

One other question,
I'm using an integrated amp with pre-amp, power-amp inputs.
Currently I'm using SU-8 -> Preamp -> Power-amp
But's what's more of a common setup?
Is it usually better if I just connect SU-8 to my power-amp and control volume with SU-8? (Since going through pre-amp will make the signal go through more circuit paths...)

Willem

Major Contributor
When I got my RME ADI-2 I ditched the pre amplifier. This sounds better but I did not bother to isolate the cause of the difference (the pre amp was old). Volume control in the digital domain is also more accurate. There is no downside other than that you may loose analogue inputs and things like balance and tone control.

Veri

Master Contributor
Weird on two amps if I plug one xlr in I still here it in both headphone drivers. Headphone is working fine on other amps that don't use the SU-8....help!

I'll have another balanced DAC soon to verify if it's the SU-8 or something else in the chain.
What Amp?

The first one: "Standard"
The last (11th) one: "Original"

Does anybody know what's the difference between these two?
It seems "standard" sound clearer than "original" but not sure which is scientifically better.

Original is the 11th anniversary flavor or something, it introduces harmonic distortion à la 'tubey'ness. The first mode will always be the cleanest.

myblues

What Amp?

Original is the 11th anniversary flavor or something, it introduces harmonic distortion à la 'tubey'ness. The first mode will always be the cleanest.

Got it!
Yeah I thought so.
The "Standard" seemed revealing a lot more details with accuracy, but slightly noisy (tiring) a bit.
The "Original" seemed more flat and quiet (in a good way) but losing the details.
"Standard" sounded a lot more hi-fi, but just to double-check. Thanks!

myblues

When I got my RME ADI-2 I ditched the pre amplifier. This sounds better but I did not bother to isolate the cause of the difference (the pre amp was old). Volume control in the digital domain is also more accurate. There is no downside other than that you may loose analogue inputs and things like balance and tone control.

I'm using SU-8 v2 with Dussun V8i amp (250w per channel amp but cheap since it's from China also) and ATC SCM11.
I tried connecting DAC directly to power amp.

Wow, this is much more clear and much more hi-fi. Some people might say this is too dry sounding,
but I can hear this is much more detailed.

Maybe it's true that "Best pre-amp is no preamp"

tades

What Amp?

Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'd a look on the 55 pages discussions. Most of them very usefull or interesting. But I've seen nowhere discussions on the harmonics filtering which is best fitting to real HiFi.
From my view I hesitate between "Slow Linear" (by default on my sample), and "fast Hybrid" who seems to be slightly more dynamic and little less "agressive" than Fast Linear
Did any one make such a test and got any recommendation?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello, I'm new to this forum. I'd a look on the 55 pages discussions. Most of them very usefull or interesting. But I've seen nowhere discussions on the harmonics filtering which is best fitting to real HiFi.
From my view I hesitate between "Slow Linear" (by default on my sample), and "fast Hybrid" who seems to be slightly more dynamic and little less "agressive" than Fast Linear
Did any one make such a test and got any recommendation?
What you mention are the digital filters, which should be next to identical in sound: see post and onwards.
The sound flavor thing on the SMSL SU-8 changes harmonics by artificially adding harmonic distortion.

They are two different things :)

Top Bottom