• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

tades

What you mention are the digital filters, which should be next to identical in sound: see post and onwards.
The sound flavor thing on the SMSL SU-8 changes harmonics by artificially adding harmonic distortion.

They are two different things :)

Hello, Thx for fast answering! Yes You're right , my question was about digital filters. Thx to redirect me on these posts! I wonder which of the different smsl filters does correspond to the linear minimum mentionned as procuring a WoW effect in the Sabaj D5.
And if I can ask... which setting do you use your self?

Veri

Master Contributor
Hello, Thx for fast answering! Yes You're right , my question was about digital filters. Thx to redirect me on these posts! I wonder which of the different smsl filters does correspond to the linear minimum mentionned as procuring a WoW effect in the Sabaj D5.
And if I can ask... which setting do you use your self?
I myself always use no distortion effects, and minimum latency filter which is minimum phase (any variant, can't hear any difference), the RME ADI-2 default :) But I probably can't A/B any of them really, no way. They all sound transparent for me besides "Super slow".

TC!!

New to the forum, I'm interested in this DAC as I'd like balanced outputs to my Elac F51s. I wanted to ask how these new 'affordable' Chinese DACs compare to my current DAC the Audiolab MDAC?
Would it be an upgrade or do I need to be looking for something a lot more expensive?

Oukkidoukki

For this hard sounding thing I say try different cables.....some coaxial digi cables gave more bottom end etc.....also compared xlr cables....better one gave more relaxed mid high which relates to "hard sound".....more bottom end and deeper image...

Oukkidoukki

Also.....these new dacs are very revealing so they reveal all the faults in mixes.......older mixes has less balanced eq spectrum....they are focused on mid and high which can be called hard sounding in new dacs....try new stuff.....more bass, more everything........one good sounding record for example: hoff ensemble - polarity album.....test with song called polarity

tades

What is the best PCM filtering? Do the "colours" have any interest for audiophile were the questions I raised to a Friend who has "Golden ears" among other talents (1)
So we spent some times this afternoon to check the settings of the SU8. Test CD was the Mercury recorded Hary Janos by Antal Dorati.
First statement: good at his price, this DAC has a much worse rendition of space compared to embedded in tuned Player DAC (Power supply among others) . 3 times less space and volume. In addition, The low frequency rumble of the band is less audible and the hiss more treble.
Second statement : whatever the PCM filter the sound is Harsh and cold compared to the same but also versus Cambridge Audio MDAC or Musical Fidelity M1 DAC
Third : the best PCM filter is the Fast linear (1). All the others allowing more high level frequencies who are creating pollution and undue harmonics (very audible on the Alto solo from the Song (track 3).
Fourth and last statement : only the standard colour is relatively clean (again track 3 or on more complex signal eg Track 4 or 6 where the drums are polluted (less density) and brass is metallising.

So recommendation is Fast linear and Standard

(1) Ennio Bortolin who created the Ennium Components Range for Audiophile that are well knowns in France for their Phase aligned components

Last edited:

Oukkidoukki

It’s probably otherway around...harsh and cold= more accurate......get your acustics ,cables and speakers right and you are good to go........From What hifi?

M-dac: entertaining sound
M1: beaten for detail and insight

= not very accurate

tades

Thanks for your point of view. I aggree M1 is old fashion, and M-DAC a little fuzzy but quite musical though missing fundamentals.

I understand you assimilate Accuracy with a strong presence of trebles.
As I mentionned, IMO Space and Accuracy is for me more a question of dynamic and phase.
When the treble of the string arrives exactly at the same moment as the fundamentals, with a lot of impact and density.
At this moment the space is respected and you get a lot of depth.
This depth is mostly missing with the SU8.

Audition of a good symphonic recording as the one I mentioned will help you understand what I mean. If you haven't the brass and percussion far beyond the violins, if you don't ear the low range rumble below the alto, if you are not surprised by the definition on the membran vibration very distincly from the timbale box itself 'tracks 4 or 6), the variation of friction over the string when the altist is coming from the upper to the second string (track 3)
then IMHO the system in front of you is probably missing real dynamic coming as I mentioned from energy and phase synchronicity.

HiFi is Bortolin (a brand sold some 20-30 years up to Canada but having missed capital to survive his success and restarting slowly in France)

Thanks for you advice. I'll try some other XLR connections but am not very optimistic when XLR is worse than simple unbalanced connections ;)

Oukkidoukki

Depth is something that increased here after finding right xlr cable, also thought that dac (old rme adi 2) was harsh, thin, cold and metallic......but with right cables its spot on......but who knows....I give my opinion when su 8 arrives......I must say I am dissapointed if u are right and it doesnt beat RME dac tech from 2004

Veri

Master Contributor
Depth is something that increased here after finding right xlr cable, also thought that dac (old rme adi 2) was harsh, thin, cold and metallic......but with right cables its spot on......but who knows....I give my opinion when su 8 arrives
Please don't do this on 'audio science' forum. No one will take you seriously.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Depth is something that increased here after finding right xlr cable, also thought that dac (old rme adi 2) was harsh, thin, cold and metallic......but with right cables its spot on......but who knows....I give my opinion when su 8 arrives......I must say I am dissapointed if u are right and it doesnt beat RME dac tech from 2004

Do you mean that you got cables that mud the sound in order to get rid of harshness?

When you get a new DAC or Amp and it sounds harsh, it's about time to change the speakers my friend. (or EQ them)

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Thanks for your point of view. I aggree M1 is old fashion, and M-DAC a little fuzzy but quite musical though missing fundamentals.

I understand you assimilate Accuracy with a strong presence of trebles.
As I mentionned, IMO Space and Accuracy is for me more a question of dynamic and phase.
When the treble of the string arrives exactly at the same moment as the fundamentals, with a lot of impact and density.
At this moment the space is respected and you get a lot of depth.
This depth is mostly missing with the SU8.

Audition of a good symphonic recording as the one I mentioned will help you understand what I mean. If you haven't the brass and percussion far beyond the violins, if you don't ear the low range rumble below the alto, if you are not surprised by the definition on the membran vibration very distincly from the timbale box itself 'tracks 4 or 6), the variation of friction over the string when the altist is coming from the upper to the second string (track 3)
then IMHO the system in front of you is probably missing real dynamic coming as I mentioned from energy and phase synchronicity.

HiFi is Bortolin (a brand sold some 20-30 years up to Canada but having missed capital to survive his success and restarting slowly in France)

Thanks for you advice. I'll try some other XLR connections but am not very optimistic when XLR is worse than simple unbalanced connections ;)

Yeah...you can safely ignore most of that...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

Seriously?

Oukkidoukki

Yes....but not gonna battle here cause people get so very emotional about this subject....with right cable there was hint more low bass, brought the right kind of fullness.......deeper soundstage...more relaxed hi mid.....just spot on.......I am not mentioning any brands, so not selling anything.....also coax cables sounded different...one had more low frequenzys, one had pretty neutral freq spectrum, one was in the high side....ofcourse i chose neutral....but lets forget it know, sorry I dont wanna hurt anyone feelings........su 8 is now in customs...even though I am in eu and ordered from amazon de........thought that there is no customs this way...faak

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yes....but not gonna battle here cause people get so very emotional about this subject....with right cable there was hint more low bass, brought the right kind of fullness.......deeper soundstage...more relaxed hi mid.....just spot on.......I am not mentioning any brands, so not selling anything.....also coax cables sounded different...one had more low frequenzys, one had pretty neutral freq spectrum, one was in the high side....ofcourse i chose neutral....but lets forget it know, sorry I dont wanna hurt anyone feelings........su 8 is now in customs...even though I am in eu and ordered from amazon de........thought that there is know customs this way...faak

I haven't seen anyone get emotional other than those making claims like yours when confronted with the truth that what you claim is, barring something faulty, not supportable.

Cables aren't going to open up your soundstage or make anything spot on.

Your mind, on the other hand, can make lots of things seem true that aren't.

kec

SMSL SU-8 Version 2

Bass tones, dry 4/5. Middle, a hard (tiring)3,5/5. High problematic,nontransparent always sibilants (ssssss!) 3/5. What kind of ears do the Chinese have?
system: Amp: Rega Brio. speakers: Audio Phisic Tempo2. cables:Supra, Cardas,Nordost. Fuck the measurements, that's not listening. It's definitely not for audiophiles. Um, what to expect for $ 200 ?!?

Top Bottom