• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-8 Version 2 Balanced DAC

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Well seems like I'm the only one here not liking what I hear from the SU-8! Am returning mine tomorrow. I did try to listen to it directly as well as amped and in both instances I found the DAC to be too bright and lacking any feel or layering in music. It's just flat, slightly over bright signal coming from the DAC. I am using it in RCA mode and streaming via Tidal on Windows 10. Am I missing something? How do you guys compare it to other DACs as regards sound quality and feel? Maybe my unit has issues...coz I feel my trusty Dragonfly Red sounds richer than the SMSL SU-8! Any thoughts?

DjBobby

Well seems like I'm the only one here not liking what I hear from the SU-8! Am returning mine tomorrow. I did try to listen to it directly as well as amped and in both instances I found the DAC to be too bright and lacking any feel or layering in music. It's just flat, slightly over bright signal coming from the DAC. I am using it in RCA mode and streaming via Tidal on Windows 10. Am I missing something? How do you guys compare it to other DACs as regards sound quality and feel? Maybe my unit has issues...coz I feel my trusty Dragonfly Red sounds richer than the SMSL SU-8! Any thoughts?
The Dragonfly Red is using minimum phase filter, try to switch the SU-8 to "Fast Minimum" to compare them. Also the DF Red uses an older ES9016 chip, which many still prefer to the new ES9038. Marantz implanted the ES9016 it in their latest network players, despite the fact that there are much newer Sabre chip designs.

Shoaibexpert

The Dragonfly Red is using minimum phase filter, try to switch the SU-8 to "Fast Minimum" to compare them. Also the DF Red uses an older ES9016 chip, which many still prefer to the new ES9038. Marantz implanted the ES9016 it in their latest network players, despite the fact that there are much newer Sabre chip designs.
Man you're comment was heaven sent. Tell me how did you know that's what was causing the problem (for me)? What does minimum phase do and am I musically corrupt in that I am liking minimum phase mode on the SMSL SU-8 more than the default fast linear...the DAC seems clearer than the Dragonfly Red now, the bass feels more alive, bright edge is almost gone with all details present, vocals are no longer blending into sub bass and I feel blacker background with the minimum phase on?! I also switched to the Original profile from the options and that opened up the mids like I like them. Yup Dragonfly Red is nowhere in sight now! Thanks

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
I have a Topping DX7s that uses the same chipset as the SU-8 and filter selections, maybe I'm deaf or the DX7s doesn't apply the filters correctly, but the changes are so subtle that I can't even be sure they are there. Certainly the differences are way far from what you describe. And frankly this is how it should be as the objective differences between the filters are small and lie in the higher and ultrasonic frequencies and by no way should they have any effect on vocals bleeding into sub bass. Basically what I'm saying it is all in your head.

Shoaibexpert

I have a Topping DX7s that uses the same chipset as the SU-8 and filter selections, maybe I'm deaf or the DX7s doesn't apply the filters correctly, but the changes are so subtle that I can't even be sure they are there. Certainly the differences are way far from what you describe. And frankly this is how it should be as the objective differences between the filters are small and lie in the higher and ultrasonic frequencies and by no way should they have any effect on vocals bleeding into sub bass. Basically what I'm saying it is all in your head.
I went from printing a return label to put all the wires back and enjoying my music for a couple of hours and im not an expert but there are kinda frequency shut-offs associated with the sound filters...thats probably why they are there, maybe. Politely saying 'Don't generalize your experience!' People often know what they are hearing or not hearing!

gvl

Major Contributor
I went from initially disliking some DACs that tested well here becasue they sounded too bright to using them exlusuvely and selling or shelving other DACs that I favored previously. No filter switching was involved. It's all in your head.

Shoaibexpert

I went from initially disliking some DACs that tested well here becasue they sounded too bright to using them exlusuvely and selling or shelving other DACs that I favored previously. No filter switching was involved. It's all in your head.
To someone who thinks all DAC boards are the same and all PCM Filters sound the same: You really don't know what you're talking about do you? Why bother...

PS. Sucks to have the DX7S!

gvl

Major Contributor
To someone who thinks all DAC boards are the same and all PCM Filters sound the same: You really don't know what you're talking about do you? Why bother...

PS. Sucks to have the DX7S!

At least I know what filters are for. Do you?

Naxos41

Hi. Is there a mode in which the SU-8 can be used as a pure DAC (i.e. by defeating the volume control)? Sorry if this was previously discussed (which I am sure it was), but searching for this topic by Google came up empty, and this thread is now 53-pages long. Thank you in advance.

Veri

Master Contributor
Hi. Is there a mode in which the SU-8 can be used as a pure DAC (i.e. by defeating the volume control)? Sorry if this was previously discussed (which I am sure it was), but searching for this topic by Google came up empty, and this thread is now 53-pages long. Thank you in advance.
Max out digital volume and that has the intended effect. I'm quite sure there is no hardware option to force pure 'DAC' mode, no.

Maurip

Hi there. Just bought SMSL SU-8 through Amazon.it. Apologize in advance if that has already been discussed. Using Mac Book and JRiver, when output is on balanced mode and I start a new song with the mouse, it often happens to hear a kind of strong electrical snap/click dangerously coming out from my loudspeakers. When using unbalanced output everything is ok. Any help? Cheers. Maurizio. Italy

RainyMirror

Hi there. Just bought SMSL SU-8 through Amazon.it. Apologize in advance if that has already been discussed. Using Mac Book and JRiver, when output is on balanced mode and I start a new song with the mouse, it often happens to hear a kind of strong electrical snap/click dangerously coming out from my loudspeakers. When using unbalanced output everything is ok. Any help? Cheers. Maurizio. Italy
That's a "feature". It happens when you switch formats. I had to sell mine because that click was so loud and awful, it made the tubes from my amp crackle. Very annoying and scary.

Shoaibexpert

That's a "feature". It happens when you switch formats. I had to sell mine because that click was so loud and awful, it made the tubes from my amp crackle. Very annoying and scary.
How did you guys find the sound quality of this DAC? Talking strictly from experience (and not readings) perspective...

Shane D

Forum Donor
I got my DAC today and everything works perfect. It is all set up now and I will go through it more in the next few days.

Shane D

20190626_172952.jpg

Last edited:

Shane D

Forum Donor

D888

Has anyone upgraded the standard supplied power cord with a 'HiFi' power cord? Am curious to know if it would result in any noticeable improvements on performance. Would be interested to hear of any experiences. Just ordered my Su-8 and am contemplating changing the power cord. Was previously using the TC Electronic BMC-2.

Many thanks!

Last edited:

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Many thanks![/QUOTE]
Has anyone upgraded the standard supplied power cord with a 'HiFi' power cord? Am curious to know if it would result in any noticeable improvements on performance. Would be interested to hear of any experiences. Just ordered my Su-8 and am contemplating changing the power cord. Was previously using the TC Electronic BMC-2.

Many thanks!

If you're keen on spending that money, might as well send that via Paypal to me instead. :D:p:)

It will not make a difference on a well implemented DAC.

Top Bottom