• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-10 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 15.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 276 77.1%

• Total voters

Milt

I bought the SU-10 for the sheer audacity of it's overkill config.
Reminds me of Oppo.
Will take it's place beside the RME

Have a Topping DM-7 on the way for MCH.
Pair with the PRE90 + EXT90.

These guys are intuitive about their gear & applications.
Keep your uber expensive Euro stuff, IMO the price:value ratio is unreal

cap1980

Bought my su-10. The DAC is just wonderful compared to the su-9n. But there is one but. Does everyone get warm? about 40 degrees +-

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Bought my su-10. The DAC is just wonderful compared to the su-9n. But there is one but. Does everyone get warm? about 40 degrees +-

No option to "phase shift" would be a no no for me.

Hattrick

Great review! I voted great golfing partner! I was considering another DAC made by Gustard being the R26 but there was an interesting Amazon reviewer who owns the SU10 and also purchased the R26 and sent the R26 back stating he didn't find the performance to his liking at all. Curious if anyone else demoed the SU10 to the Gustard R26?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Great review! I voted great golfing partner! I was considering another DAC made by Gustard being the R26 but there was an interesting Amazon reviewer who owns the SU10 and also purchased the R26 and sent the R26 back stating he didn't find the performance to his liking at all. Curious if anyone else demoed the SU10 to the Gustard R26?

If U get a Gustard DAC , get the A26 and not that R2R nonsense

Snoopy

Major Contributor
Yeah, I do like the SU10 quite a bit a great value in its price point. Do you own the A26? Curious if it would provide an audio "Oh Wow" compared to the SU10?
No. Don't own neither. But only reason for me to get the A26 would be using it with HQPlayer and Roon.

If you are just using it as DAC I probably go with whatever has the features U like

Hattrick

No. Don't own neither. But only reason for me to get the A26 would be using it with HQPlayer and Roon.

If you are just using it as DAC I probably go with whatever has the features U like
Thank you Snoopy,
I have been comparing the SU10 to the internal DAC of my AVR850 for music reproduction. Though I don't have ability to set output voltages for comparison as some have stated is the only way to do an actual comparison, I have done my best using only one song for comparison purpose, being songs will also have various volume outputs. I have noticed I do like the SU10 better than the AVR 850 with this comparison. However it isn't like a huge "Oh Wow" either, thus debating if the improvement is worthy of the $900 investment. I am strong considering replacing my AVR 850 with the new Arcam AV 41 Processor which now has the same ESS chips like the SU10 and would bet the Processor would be even a closer match. Using the monies towards the new Processor.

cap1980

Solving the heating problem
s-l1600.jpg

DRuszaT

As for ASR's undue sensitivity, it is obviously not offensive to anyone to be called by the name he himself qualifies in the public eye:

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I connected the denon avc-a1h via xlr to the smsl su-10 dacs and the d400ex and noticed that the sound is out of phase. With the dx400ex I could solve the problem with the relative phase shift option from the menu, while on the su-10 this option is not available. I tried to rotate the plug in the wall socket but the result does not change. Using an rca cable the sound is correctly in phase. Has anyone had similar problems with smsl devices? Thank you.

Couldn't you make a inverted XLR cable to fix this? I doubt smsl will update such a "old" device. They already moved on ...

(Exactly why I will stick with western brands in the future and lean more towards "professional" brands).

JSmith

Master Contributor
As for ASR's undue sensitivity, it is obviously not offensive to anyone to be called by the name he himself qualifies in the public eye:
If you have an issue with the non-usage of said term, PM Amir... it's his house, his rules. This review thread is not the place for this discussion (again).

JSmith

DRuszaT

If you have an issue with the non-usage of said term, PM Amir... it's his house, his rules. This review thread is not the place for this discussion (again).

JSmith
I see. I was just responding to your moderation comment above. So far, this "police" presence has not been fashionable here, which is why many people liked ASR. Let me know if it is now forbidden to form an opinion, because then I have no place here anymore.

Greenman

I have the GUSTARD X26pro, which once upon a time was about the best measuring DAC on here, as well as the R26 (And SU1). After extensive listening guess which I much prefer and has a permanent place in my main hi if system….clue it’s the worse measuring one

Peternz

I recently got one of these. It is so good that it showed weakness in a rather well reviewed pre amp that I have. I can clearly hear the difference between just the SU-10 and my power amp or the SU-10 to pre amp to power amp. To me things sound significantly better with the SU-10 direct to power amp.

The SU-10 is well made, easy to use and well configured. It sounds natural, clean and completely non fatigueing.

ethanhallbeyer

I recently got one of these. It is so good that it showed weakness in a rather well reviewed pre amp that I have. I can clearly hear the difference between just the SU-10 and my power amp or the SU-10 to pre amp to power amp. To me things sound significantly better with the SU-10 direct to power amp.

The SU-10 is well made, easy to use and well configured. It sounds natural, clean and completely non fatigueing.

Did you consider SU-9 Pro or the D1se/D1se2 when you were deciding on a new DAC? The SU-9 Pro is like hundreds less than SU-10 and pretty close spec wise. Kind of still debating.

Hattrick

The SU-10 is well made, easy to use and well configured. It sounds natural, clean and completely non fatiguing.
I agree. If you don't have a great DAC for music this is a fantastic choice.

Peternz

Did you consider SU-9 Pro or the D1se/D1se2 when you were deciding on a new DAC? The SU-9 Pro is like hundreds less than SU-10 and pretty close spec wise. Kind of still debating.
Not really, all I know is that I like the SU-10 a lot.

Top Bottom