• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-10 DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 12 3.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 14 3.9%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 15.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 276 77.1%

• Total voters

Potion9

When it arrived the V1.03 was installed and so I updated it to the V1.02 because that version was listed with a more recent version date. Opposite of logic, lesser number listed as most recent version. Now there are additional characters can't recall exactly but something like "V1.03 0b" verses "V1.02 1c". Have no clue what that means. Now today I see a newer update dated Mar 30th noted as V1.04. Let me see what happens with this version. UPDATE: I loaded V1.04. They never seem to state what the update is supposed to do. Display looks the same and options are the same. Nothing detectable.

Hi - Did you have a chance to upgrade the firmware on your SU-10? I was wondering the same thing about mixed up and confusing of multiple versions and release date they are posted that doesn't make any sense. I'm interesting of what these firmware updates do?. Mine also come installed with v1.03 as well.

I'm hoping they would have firmware updates for D1se to fixes the power off when using the remote. It turn itself right back on and do have to press it twice. Not a big deal but that shouldn't not happen on a Lexus. :D

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
Ciao a tutti voi. Sono un nuovo iscritto. Uso Google traduttore, chiedo scusa per errori. Ho acquistato smsl su 10. E lo uso solamente come dac. Tra lettore cd e amplificatore. Collegato con cavo coassiale lettore cd dac . E cavo rca, dac, amplificatore. Volevo chiedere Consigli per setting migliore .. ? Come impostare funzioni? Grazie mille
Please translate back to English, this is an English forum.

Saverio

Hi everyone. I am a new subscriber. Use google translate, sorry for the mistakes. I bought smsl on the 10th. And I use it only as a dac. Between CD player and amplifier. Connected with coaxial cable CD player DAC. And rca cable, dac, amplifier. ask for advice for the best setting.. ? How to set the functions? Thank you very much

Saverio

I replaced smsl su9n with the su10. The difference is clearly noticeable. The su 10 has more body and detail in all frequencies. And how to be in front of the stage. lVoices are deeper and warmer.I'm happy with the change.Hi

geekosa

I replaced smsl su9n with the su10. The difference is clearly noticeable. The su 10 has more body and detail in all frequencies. And how to be in front of the stage. lVoices are deeper and warmer.I'm happy with the change.Hi
Be careful, a bot army will come for you and tell there can't exist any differences between DACs ^^

Dunlavyphile

Forum Donor
For this DAC, and the SU-9 Pro, can I simultaneously use the balanced outputs for a stereo amplifier and the RCA outputs for a powered subwoofer that has its own low pass filter? I know a Benchmark DAC3 can do that.

zajogungster

Môžem pre tento DAC a SU-9 Pro súčasne použiť symetrické výstupy pre stereo zosilňovač a RCA výstupy pre napájaný subwoofer, ktorý má vlastný dolnopriepustný filter? Viem, že Benchmark DAC3 to dokáže.
yes, it can be set in the menu! one or the other, or both

zsozsi

Hello!

Am I the only one who doesn't hear a difference between each "sound color" setting? I have pretty good ears, but no matter how I listen, I can't hear anything noticeable.

What do you think what could be the reason for this? Is my device faulty? I've tried all kinds of music...
Does anyone hear any difference by changing the sound color settings?

Thanks.

zajogungster

Hello!

Am I the only one who doesn't hear a difference between each "sound color" setting? I have pretty good ears, but no matter how I listen, I can't hear anything noticeable.

What do you think what could be the reason for this? Is my device faulty? I've tried all kinds of music...

Thanks.
it's not just about even hearing a difference in sound. I paired it with one of my amps and didn't understand why it was distorting, quite significantly. after switching the filter from the preset to another, the sound started to be clean and undistorted. You will hear the difference in the sound first and foremost when changing the amplifier and, most importantly, the speakers! if they are "average", I doubt you will know the difference in the DAC filters

RandomEar

Hello!

Thanks.
No, you're not the only one ;) There should be no difference with music at normal listening levels. The sound color option introduces distortions at -60 dB or lower, depending on the setting. Most people can't hear distortion below -40 dB with real music, almost nobody can hear it below -50 dB.

it's not just about even hearing a difference in sound. I paired it with one of my amps and didn't understand why it was distorting, quite significantly. after switching the filter from the preset to another, the sound started to be clean and undistorted. You will hear the difference in the sound first and foremost when changing the amplifier and, most importantly, the speakers! if they are "average", I doubt you will know the difference in the DAC filters
Any source for these claims? Sounds like placebo to me. From a physics standpoint, I see no reason why the system would behave like that.

zajogungster

No, you're not the only one ;) There should be no difference with music at normal listening levels. The sound color option introduces distortions at -60 dB or lower, depending on the setting. Most people can't hear distortion below -40 dB with real music, almost nobody can hear it below -50 dB.

Any source for these claims? Sounds like placebo to me. From a physics standpoint, I see no reason why the system would behave like that.
it's not a placebo. But I don't know what happened, I can't explain it. Maybe the problem is elsewhere, the amplifier worked fine. Now I came back to it and the difference is between Tidal and Qobuz! on Qobuz it significantly distorts with the preset filter, on filri 3 it's fine. it's always ok on Tidal. but I don't understand why.

ethanhallbeyer

Any su10 owners confirm if using as a dac & preamp results in same sound quality as dac only mode with a separate preamp? Heard somewhere that unlike su9 it does sound just as good used as dac & preamp.

Doc_Octopus

This option is missing and is available on almost all SMSL dacs. Will it be included in a future update?
audiophase.jpg

Doc_Octopus

I connected the denon avc-a1h via xlr to the smsl su-10 dacs and the d400ex and noticed that the sound is out of phase. With the dx400ex I could solve the problem with the relative phase shift option from the menu, while on the su-10 this option is not available. I tried to rotate the plug in the wall socket but the result does not change. Using an rca cable the sound is correctly in phase. Has anyone had similar problems with smsl devices? Thank you.

ethanhallbeyer

I connected the denon avc-a1h via xlr to the smsl su-10 dacs and the d400ex and noticed that the sound is out of phase. With the dx400ex I could solve the problem with the relative phase shift option from the menu, while on the su-10 this option is not available. I tried to rotate the plug in the wall socket but the result does not change. Using an rca cable the sound is correctly in phase. Has anyone had similar problems with smsl devices? Thank you.

That is too bad :( hope a new FW fixes it or adds phase shift option.

Wonder if d1se2 has same issue.

Is it otherwise a noticeable upgrade from d400ex?

Top Bottom