• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 375 83.9%

• Total voters

Abrise

Hi, you can use the drivers from C100 it works fine. I've been using it and it works on 2 different Windows 11 PC's, streaming from Tidal, Qobuz and in foobar2000 it appears has "ASIO: USB DAC ASIO". Even the mqa led lights up when using foobar to play flac (mqa) files.
I have just received my unit today your information is very helpful. I have thus installed these drivers. Thank you

HappyMetalGuy

New setup here:

SMSL SU-1 80€
Aiyima A07 45€ (Used)
CD Transport 35€ (Used)
Mission LX2 MKII 200€.

Speaker Cables 9€
RCA 5€
Coaxial 12€

Total 386€

Budget was 400€ so now I can buy 2xLM4562 Opamps to roll on A07 "just for fun".
:cool:

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
going by your namesake, do you think bookshelfs w/ 5" drivers is going to cut it especially if you're into 'metal'

i went from 6" to 7.5" drivers and there's just more of everything

also i do get that 'cheap audio man' vibe but is clear this place goes the other way

but it feels like this setup goes too far

this is fine for a nearfield sort of setup? i do like a remote though... if not on the dac then then on the amp itself

HappyMetalGuy

going by your namesake, do you think bookshelfs w/ 5" drivers is going to cut it especially if you're into 'metal'

i went from 6" to 7.5" drivers and there's just more of everything

also i do get that 'cheap audio man' vibe but is clear this place goes the other way

but it feels like this setup goes too far

this is fine for a nearfield sort of setup? i do like a remote though... if not on the dac then then on the amp itself
It's in my office, and yes near field, don't need a remote all hands reachable. I'm very happy with it. (Listening to Firehouse right now).

Abrise

Today I have been using the SU1 to check if my old audio board 2009 xonar essence spx line input is still good for recording. I have used REW for that. The SU1 is supposed to be much better than my board line input . I have thus connected the SU1 to the optical output of the board and its output to the line input. And made the test at 24bits 96khz generating 1000khz -6dbfs
At first the power was given by the pc the resutlts where terribly bad. Then i have used an external power supply telephone type for the SU1 . The difference is more than 20db in noise which is huge. There is probably terrible grounding issues.

With power by pc
1683280646619.jpeg

With usb external power
1683280491939.jpeg

My conclusion is that with a THD+N of -105db my line input is still good. Also RMAA gave me good results. This input will be good enough at least for room correction measurements.
But following these test I have a number of questions
Is it normal to have so much noise when using usb ? Is it common to all external dacs?
Should I ever consider to use the SU1 only with its optical input and with external power supply?

HappyMetalGuy

Is it normal to have so much noise when using usb ? Is it common to all external dacs?
Should I ever consider to use the SU1 only with its optical input and with external power supply?
Or you could try something like this
index.php

Zek

Major Contributor
Are you sure that that splitter separates Data and Power as you drew, or maybe it's just an ordinary splitter that passes both Power and Data on both cables.
splitter.jpg

raif71

Major Contributor
Yes. There is no 5V connection between the data end and the DAC end.
You have to connect an external power supply for this splitter to work.
This is the splitter cable that is most suitable for my usage. Most y splitter cables the data end has power as well but this one doesn't have power.

LtMandella

Had to buy immediately based on this review and the quality of the product/price performance. :)

dtan

Ohm no! Just received my SU-1 today. So exciting...

But none of my computers recognize it.

I tried with one Macbook Air M1 and one Macbook Air 2018 with three of my usb c to usb a adapters. None of them work (USB 2.0 and 3.0).

My Windows machine with XMOS USB driver from SMSL C100 driver also doesn't work. Uninstall and reinstall driver multiple times but none of them work.

Seem that I need to come back to my old but reliable Fiio E10K.

If anyone have any idea, please let me know.

mc.god

This is great cause remote is included in all official descriptions
The SU1 is still not present on https://www.smsl-audio.com, so no official description, the picture shown at shenzenaudio and other sites reporting the full featured remote seems simply taken from the C100 advertising.

Top Bottom