• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 9 2.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 12.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 381 83.9%

• Total voters

Overseas

Major Contributor
Wherever you want to order, it's sold with 'remote'. As long as those selleres are legitimate distributors, where is the remote?!

dtan

Try replacing the USB cable.
What audio player are you using?
Have you tried another USB cable? Sometimes, the included cable is defective.
Thanks so much.
I tried multiple cables from my phones (LG, Xiaomi) and Ipad Type C as well but still nothing worked
This is great cause remote is included in all official descriptions
I also confirmed that there is only the main DAC and USB cable (and the manual) in the box.

dtan

Try to press power on button while is connected to usb.
Yes. I tried your solution as well but the computer can't detect the SMSL SU-1 as well, I tried 5 of my usb-c cables already.
One more observation: I connected the E10K to my computer and output the signal via coaxial cable to the SMSL SU-1 and there is MUSIC.
So basically, the problem is at the USB connection.

railgun

Don't know if this breaks the rules of this site, but ... TempoTec March III M3 just came out.
AKM4493SEQ + BT LDAC for $89 + 4x OPA1688

HappyMetalGuy

Yes. I tried your solution as well but the computer can't detect the SMSL SU-1 as well, I tried 5 of my usb-c cables already.
One more observation: I connected the E10K to my computer and output the signal via coaxial cable to the SMSL SU-1 and there is MUSIC.
So basically, the problem is at the USB connection.
unfortunately It looks like a broken unit.

zeropoint

Ok tempoatec it's a usb dac with Bluetooth. It doesn't have any more inputs. For me smsl su-1 is just perfect. Let's me connect a streamer or pc via usb, tv via optical and cd transport thought coaxial
Also headphone amp, with 4.4mm & 3.5mm outputs, plus LDAC/AAC over BT, and informative OLED display.

LtMandella

DAC cost $80
Amp cost $70
Loudspeakers should cost $60

Oh God, when will we get good low cost loudspeakers?
I will be running those two units with Ref3A DeCapo I speakers. Those speakers are very easy to drive with benign impedance, great bass, efficient, and they sound absolutely lovely.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i'd also take the tempotec even though i never heard of them

i do get that its more a headphone amp than a dac but it just has more usuability for the same price but even then, apparently then, the SMSL M300SE now exists that just about finishes this entire debate as long as youre ok with crystal over akm

HappyMetalGuy

i'd also take the tempotec even though i never heard of them

i do get that its more a headphone amp than a dac but it just has more usuability for the same price but even then, apparently then, the SMSL M300SE now exists that just about finishes this entire debate as long as youre ok with crystal over akm
Seems very good for 30€ more than SU-1, but I would preferred RCA outputs instead of 3.5mm jack. Also the chips are Cirrus Logic's latest audio decoder chip CS43131 I think it should be good. I'll keep my SU-1, I use all 3 inputs and don' need Bluetooth or headphone amp in my desktop setup. SMSL M300 SE.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Seems very good for 30€ more than SU-1, but I would preferred RCA outputs instead of 3.5mm jack. Also the chips are Cirrus Logic's latest audio decoder chip CS43131 I think it should be good. I'll keep my SU-1, I use all 3 inputs and don' need Bluetooth or headphone amp in my desktop setup. SMSL M300 SE.
The M300 seem a bit weak as far as headphone output e.g. 148mW into 32 while probably fine for most headphones might struggle with some headphones. But then it's hard to get everything in a single box at these low price points.

railgun

I will be running those two units with Ref3A DeCapo I speakers. Those speakers are very easy to drive with benign impedance, great bass, efficient, and they sound absolutely lovely.
Pair this DAC (SU-1 or TempoTec March III) with Kali LP-6, JBL 306p or ADAM T7V (all under 350 euro), and you're done with stereo on a budget.

When on a budget, skip the amp and go straight for powered/active studio speakers.

HappyMetalGuy

The M300 seem a bit weak as far as headphone output e.g. 148mW into 32 while probably fine for most headphones might struggle with some headphones. But then it's hard to get everything in a single box at these low price points.
If you only need USB and Bluetooth as inputs, tempotech looks a better option.
Pair this DAC (SU-1 or TempoTec March III) with Kali LP-6, JBL 306p or ADAM T7V (all under 350 euro), and you're done with stereo on a budget.

When on a budget, skip the amp and go straight for powered/active studio speakers.
My desktop system:
SMSL SU-1 80€
Aiyima A07 45€ (Used 32v)
CD Transport 35€ (Used)
Mission LX2 MKII 200€.

Speaker Cables 9€
RCA 5€
Coaxial 12€

Total 386€
I am :D

Pursuit

Why is driver required for a USB DAC? And only in windows, but not in Linux? It's hard to think of another USB device like that.

Abrise

I already have the su1 which is very good but now I am looking for the equivalent with xlr output. I don't want a DAC with bluetooth or volume control or remote. What would you suggest ?

Top Bottom