• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 375 83.9%

• Total voters

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the difference between a DAC designed for active speakers and a DAC designed for passive speakers? Or maybe I don't understand your post?
I get your rhetorical (but trick) question: The cheapest way I can figure out how to connect a DAC to passive speakers is thru F.M.!;)
Although that would be unnecessary in the case of active speakers.​

norcalscott

Forum Donor
Just saw this little DAC opened and it’s a really nice build ruined by the Lelon caps they used. I thought these guys use top tier parts.
Lelon are largely considered mid-range, and should be sufficient at this price level. Are you implying that this DAC would perform better if they had used "top-tier" caps?

jomo

Lelon are largely considered mid-range, and should be sufficient at this price level. Are you implying that this DAC would perform better if they had used "top-tier" caps

They make little or no difference to the sound when they are working properly. It's about reliability. Having just replaced 4 bloated Lelon caps in my sub amp, I would rather spend the added $1 and get a higher tier caps.

Tom's hardware says fourth-tier for Lelon. I know EEVBlog thinks Lelon is bad, and cries about it when he sees them. Restorer-john, an electronics repairman that is all over ASR thinks they are poor as well. Granted, this DAC is probably the easiest service for any cap there is, but you don't see other quality, low cost DACs resorting to fourth-tier level.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
z tier caps for $80 is about what i would expect really...

JSmith

Master Contributor
low cost DACs
Well it is $80... but fair point to an extent. Often it can come down to design though, rather than brand of capacitors used (see below) and in a DAC they're not stressed heat wise really.

wFqI-9V0vf2g-IQYDUSE95YYfSolFdz7Qb8Y-IZxOok.jpg.fd946539bb21ef14d94041ed719877d9.jpg

JSmith

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
i get the animosity because if you're actively involved in removing their leaky caps then youre reluctant to buy new products with them

BUT i mean... there's two caps in there... with minimal stresses unlike a PC PSU

i would imagine we will never see bulged or leaking caps on this or any other SMSL dac... or wait 5yrs plus

on an $80 unit i mean chance it...

JktHifi

What HiFi recently published an article arguing for simple DAC designs. The example they gave was a $15,000 model from TAD.

I'd love to see it measured against this $80 SMSL.
It’s not just DAC but also DDC. Probably it does something to the newly created digital out.
IMG_0546.jpeg

JktHifi

That is a product for, forgive me, people with more money than common sense. Just ridiculous to think there is any reason to purchase such an expensive DAC.
Or, probably the SMSL is too cheap?

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Tell that to the makers of the Wiim “Pro”.
Which is a streamer, not a standalone DAC.
If SMSL can add the functionality of the Wiim Pro to a DAC with this performance for an extra $70 then you can criticise the Wiim for not outperforming a standalone DAC.

norcalscott

Forum Donor
They make little or no difference to the sound when they are working properly. It's about reliability. Having just replaced 4 bloated Lelon caps in my sub amp, I would rather spend the added $1 and get a higher tier caps.

Tom's hardware says fourth-tier for Lelon. I know EEVBlog thinks Lelon is bad, and cries about it when he sees them. Restorer-john, an electronics repairman that is all over ASR thinks they are poor as well. Granted, this DAC is probably the easiest service for any cap there is, but you don't see other quality, low cost DACs resorting to fourth-tier level.

I'll agree about reliability, but in this use case, at this price, I suspect these caps will last through the usable life expectancy (sadly, we live in a disposable world). I suspect that in order to meet the price point, SMSL had to cut costs in ways that would not impact performance.

As an aside, I know that there have been reliability issues with Chinese caps in the past (defective materials, etc) but one thing that these manufacturers get really good at over time is improving reliability without increasing cost. I wouldn't use this brand in a premium product, but it is probably a fair tradeoff to keep costs down without affecting performance for low cost components.

Ecaroh

The +5V wire isn't present from the factory, so no no need to mod.
Many thanks for this. Are you finding a diagram somewhere for that AliExpress splitter? And are all the connectors male? The USB A is, can't tell about the input-side USB C.

staticV3

Master Contributor
And are all the connectors male? The USB A is, can't tell about the input-side USB C.
They're all male:
1746155335-268275470 (1).jpg
Intended use case is Android phone+ Power bank -> Type-C DAC.
However, there's nothing preventing you from using it with the SU-1 on Windows instead.

SuicideSquid

Addicted to Fun and Learning
That is a product for, forgive me, people with more money than common sense. Just ridiculous to think there is any reason to purchase such an expensive DAC.
No but you don't understand. It adds more depth and a holographic quality to the soundstage and if you think your $150 DAC is sufficient you just don't know anything about audio and obviously have tin ears.

/s

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
No but you don't understand. It adds more depth and a holographic quality to the soundstage and if you think your $150 DAC is sufficient you just don't know anything about audio and obviously have tin ears.
/s
I'm giving you a Like only because I think you forgot a Smilie at the end.:)

Top Bottom