• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 12.5%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 376 83.9%

• Total voters

PeteL

Major Contributor
It was the wrong DAC anyway, he didn't have that one....but different loads I guess because it's designed to be used with passive speakers. But, to be honest the A08, the DAC he does own, is also designed to be used with passive speakers so praps load dependancy is playing into his perceptions. That convo has finished a while back though.
What's the difference between a DAC designed for active speakers and a DAC designed for passive speakers? Or maybe I don't understand your post?

PeteL

Major Contributor
Which DAC is designed for passive speakers?
And how does it connect to passive speakers?
You are not asking the right person and I am going to assume this is rhetorical yes.

Reactions: Zek

Zek

Major Contributor
You are not asking the right person and I am going to assume this is rhetorical yes.
I apologize, I see now that I should have directed that question to another person.
And I meant a specific DAC - although I don't think there is one because it has to be connected to an amplifier.

PeteL

Major Contributor
I apologize, I see now that I should have directed that question to another person.
And I meant a specific DAC - although I don't think there is one because it has to be connected to an amplifier.
No need to apologize. My question was rhetorical too.

A Surfer

Major Contributor
Great little DAC, fantastic application of engineering skills clearly. For me my only ask would be, and I know the price would have to go up, but I always require Bluetooth. I think Bluetooth functionality is almost a minimal requirement and I have zero doubt that in not too many years time, we will see less and less support for USB in favour of wireless. Why bother with the wire when BT is now absolutely capable of audibly transparency for a very affordably price. So with BT added I imagine this little DAC might be $110/120 so again very good performance for a very good price.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the problem with adding bluetooth is that it instantly makes a unit obsolete... eventually

are you happy with just AAC/SBC? because that's what you get in the SMSL C100

even if they add aptx-hd there will be a day when this is obsolete... and people ask for LDAC and aptx-ll etc.

there exists a market for cheap BT dongles that wire into the digital inputs that you can discard ones the technology catches up

to me BT is a convenience item, and i dont think you need better than AAC (but that's just my jaded experience)

people ask for this and that and everything and really, that shit already exists in a $100+ dac

btw. i just googled "BT audio receiver" on ebay etc and you get the gammut of cheapo $5+ chinese gear... some have digital out, some have remotes, some had screens, some have USB memory support... there's a LOT out there... you just have to find one that has the stuff you want in it

its too much for me because I dont really use this shit but I do get a 'buzz' seeing how in China, they really dont want to leave a void in the market and if people want bluetooth audio receievers they will damn well make a million of them for chump change.

Last edited:

JktHifi

the problem with adding bluetooth is that it instantly makes a unit obsolete... eventually

are you happy with just AAC/SBC? because that's what you get in the SMSL C100

even if they add aptx-hd there will be a day when this is obsolete... and people ask for LDAC and aptx-ll etc.

there exists a market for cheap BT dongles that wire into the digital inputs that you can discard ones the technology catches up

to me BT is a convenience item, and i dont think you need better than AAC (but that's just my jaded experience)

people ask for this and that and everything and really, that shit already exists in a $200+ dac
HiBy bluetooth 24bit 192khz UAT format.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
you'll find there's a cabal here of folks who only believe in redbook and that hi-res is a 'scam' and especially, who the hell owns 24/192 material anyway?

JktHifi

you'll find there's a cabal here of folks who only believe in redbook and that hi-res is a 'scam' and especially, who the hell owns 24/192 material anyway?
I find it from product brochure of SMSL VMV A2:
The latest Bluetooth supports LDAC, APTX / HD, SBC, AAC and the industry's highest specification 24bit / 192kHz UAT format!

HiBy device use it.

Labjr

Major Contributor
They probably won't be buying a new DAC.

HappyMetalGuy

Great little DAC, fantastic application of engineering skills clearly. For me my only ask would be, and I know the price would have to go up, but I always require Bluetooth. I think Bluetooth functionality is almost a minimal requirement and I have zero doubt that in not too many years time, we will see less and less support for USB in favour of wireless. Why bother with the wire when BT is now absolutely capable of audibly transparency for a very affordably price. So with BT added I imagine this little DAC might be $110/120 so again very good performance for a very good price.
This is almost perfect for me (i don't need mqa and Bluetooth) I'm waiting for mine to arrive. Even the FR, for me can be good since I use EQ to get E30 to my taste let's see.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I find it from product brochure of SMSL VMV A2:
The latest Bluetooth supports LDAC, APTX / HD, SBC, AAC and the industry's highest specification 24bit / 192kHz UAT format!

HiBy device use it.
Is it lossless at 24bit 192khz? Nope.

Abrise

Thank you @amirm for this review and the hundred of texts - reviews and science - I have read from you in the last 2 weeks.
I have ordered this almost perfect little tool to replace a 15 year old internal Asus xonar essence stx that has already survived 3 pc generations.
Thus no need for more functions only the transparency is important.
I have hesitated a little because of the XLR bias in this forum. But then I would have needed to change an expensive amplifier.

Robbo99999

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What's the difference between a DAC designed for active speakers and a DAC designed for passive speakers? Or maybe I don't understand your post?
Ha, yeah, I was confused! The guy was talking about the A08 which is an amplifier! It was a rubbish conversation anyway all things taken into account, made worse by me confusing the issue!

jomo

Just saw this little DAC opened and it’s a really nice build ruined by the Lelon caps they used. I thought these guys use top tier parts.

Top Bottom