• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL SU-1 Stereo DAC Review

Rate this DAC:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 8 1.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 56 12.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 374 83.9%

• Total voters

GaryH

Major Contributor
you could probably argue that this non-linearity is more important than a few extra points of SINAD, so praps for example a perfectly linear 100dB SINAD DAC would actually be more practically desirable than this 116dB SINAD DAC, in terms of overall practical transparency
Yep this is exactly the point. Absence of linear distortion should be prioritized over infinitesimal levels of non-linear distortion. There's just no excuse for a non-flat frequency response in 2023, at any price.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yep this is exactly the point. Absence of linear distortion should be prioritized over infinitesimal levels of non-linear distortion. There's just no excuse for a non-flat frequency response in 2023, at any price.
Why? We all use speakers to listen. Their response anomalies are much more than this DAC. Not to mention that the error is on very high frequencies where audibility is very small.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Impressive little box! I wonder why anyone would rate it "poor"? :-D

My only disappointment with the Topping and SMSL gear is that, while undoubtedly they measure sublimely, they lack the ability to drive a sub and set a cutoff frequency to the mains. Room optimization would be nice too, but of course I'd expect that with the higher price point models.

Labjr

Major Contributor
I'd like to see one more row of small LEDs for sample rate and DSD to know it's playing at the original sample rate without transcoding. Then add balanced output and raise the price by $5. :D

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Impressive little box! I wonder why anyone would rate it "poor"? :-D

My only disappointment with the Topping and SMSL gear is that, while undoubtedly they measure sublimely, they lack the ability to drive a sub and set a cutoff frequency to the mains. Room optimization would be nice too, but of course I'd expect that with the higher price point models.
Is active crossover a DAC function? Many integrated amplifiers have that even.

Short38

Not sure why any manufacturer of high end audio equipment would not subcontract all dac work to Topping or SMSL. With luxury case work, a nice metal remote, an array of gold plated in and outputs, a $30,000 price point would seem reasonable.

Ecaroh

Many thanks to Amir. So if my data comes in over USB, the only choice is for the sending device to also power the DAC. Not too happy about that. Any thoughts?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Many thanks to Amir. So if my data comes in over USB, the only choice is for the sending device to also power the DAC. Not too happy about that. Any thoughts?
USB-C devices are increasingly like that. USB-C power delivery has been dramatically increased to make this the new way.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
It is how cost savings are achieved. An external power supply adds to the cost. As long as it doesn't compromise fidelity, either approach is fine.

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Many DACs can receive both signal and power from the USB source. The fact this one has an LED in the front panel that indicates the signal comes from the USB port makes me assume this is the case here also. But yes, your signal source would be your power source, too.

You could explore if you can use a powered USB hub to have separate signal and power devices, since in theory USB supports such configurations, but I am not sure. Probably the manual or the sales department can answer.

staticV3

Master Contributor
You could explore if you can use a powered USB hub to have separate signal and power devices, since in theory USB supports such configurations, but I am not sure.
No need for a hub actually. Here are some devices that'll allow you to supply power and data separately:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EHTv1Dl
https://ifi-audio.com/products/idefender-plus/
https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/733226.html
https://www.tpdz.net/productinfo/953487.html

Or, if you don't mind some DIY, it's possible to modify this cable for the same purpose: https://www.delock.com/produkt/83176/merkmale.html?f=s
Just have to make a cut into the black cable sleeving and cut the red +5V wire inside.

staticV3

Master Contributor
Thinking the same, but need sub out. What is the cheapest way to do this?
511f3ac236dded2b2a7e5e2772106ead.jpeg
Blank diagram (6).png

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Top Bottom