• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II vs Topping E30: Features

MondoAudio

In the last week, it's great to see @amirm post reviews of two budget DACs that perform in the top tier. What's cool is that, unlike the Katana and the Khadas Tone Board, they are standalone DACs with enclosures and even remotes! They have a tightwad audio listener like me reaching for my wallet. But before I do, I have questions that I hope @amirm (who might be the only person in the world to use them both) will be able to answer...
  • I use quite a bit of vintage gear with optical outs. The Sanskrit 10th MK II performance isn't as good with optical, being better with USB. How about the E30? Any degradation from optical relative to USB?
  • How do the remotes compare? Any one work better or have better features?
  • I know nothing about filters, but I'm willing to listen. Any differences?
From an audible audio perspective, it looks like they're a wash. So I'm looking for differences in features. Any other meaningful differences?
Thanks!

kouki_monster

If you read the entire review thread for each, a lot of your questions have been discussed. In my eyes, the SMSL costs less, but the E30 edges it out in performance, as well as after-sale support. Aesthetics / design is another subjective consideration for some. I believe the filters would be the same on each device because they use the same main chip, but accessing / changing those filters could vary greatly between the devices. If messing with filters is something you're interested in, hopefully someone with hands-on experience will chime in there.

I was just on the fence, as well, between a few models in this range. In the end, I splurged on the D50s (currently on sale @ $185)... but I bet the $80 SMSL M100 would have been just fine for my application (I don't need a remote). There are a lot of good options and I don't think you can go wrong with any of the current top-picks.. but yes.. if you require a remote, I agree that the E30 and SK10II are the best "budget" options.

Last edited:
OP
M

MondoAudio

If you read the entire review thread for each, a lot of your questions have been discussed.

Thanks for you guidance. On filters, it makes sense that the same chip would be expected to deliver the same filters, regardless of device. I should have thought of that. But remotes are finicky things that really need to be used before you can pass judgement.

As a side note, I did do my homework. Two of my three questions were not answered in either thread because no one, aside from amirm and JohnYang1997, has had the chance to test both DACs and provide comparisons. But your response did give me good guidance, and I thank you for that.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thanks for you guidance. On filters, it makes sense that the same chip would be expected to deliver the same filters, regardless of device. I should have thought of that. But remotes are finicky things that really need to be used before you can pass judgement.
The remote hardware is identical between the two units.

Functionality is different for filters though. On Topping, every press of the filter button switches to the next one. On SMSL, it first shows the current setting and a second press changes the filter setting.

OP
M

MondoAudio

Thanks, @JohnYang1997 and @amirm. These devices measure similarly and might be audibly identical (at least to my less-than-golden ears). But there's something about the refinement of the E30 that makes me think it's worth dropping the extra $30Can on. But, dang, I like the compact size of the SMSL!

OP
M

MondoAudio

Interesting. These measurements of the E30 from the Canadian Amazon site:
Color:Black/Silver
Size:10x12.5x32cm
Weight:265g

But I see on the Aliexpress site that it's definitely a compact little feller. Thanks.

SMSL-Mandy

Audio Company
360截图20200327133642245.jpg

328 on 10th-anniversary aliexpress has a discount on Sk10 MKII. Don't miss it.;)

Zek

Major Contributor
Can the volume adjustment option be turned off at both DACs?

Jarrett

Would have been clever for SMSL to give the red finish a red LCD. I find the look of the Sanskrit kind of ugly, like some kind network attached storage box.

nicky

Hi, so finally are the E30 and Sanskrit MKII the same in terms of performance? I don't care about the esthetics. I just need an upgrade on my D30 and A8 based AK4490 to feed my tube amp.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Hi, so finally are the E30 and Sanskrit MKII the same in terms of performance? I don't care about the esthetics. I just need an upgrade on my D30 and A8 based AK4490 to feed my tube amp.
Multitone(which is the only measurement that emulates music signal) on E30 is much much better.

Top Bottom