• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Help: is the Topping e30 with the PA5 II a good fit for Tannoy Precision 6.2's?

Neuromancer

I have a pair of Topping Precision 6.2's that I want to connect to a windows PC for a ~380sq-ft room. I haven't paid attention to audio equipment in a while and I'm not really current with what's out there now, so I'm labelling myself a newbie.

Right now I'm looking at getting a Topping e30 DAC and Topping PA5 II power amp. The recommended amp power for the Tannoys is 20-175w (though I know recommendations are (or were?) considered kind of irrelevant), and I feel like the 100w/c of the PA5 II would be fine for normal listening. Both products have really solid reviews here especially for the price.

I guess two obvious upgrades might be an e50 DAC or PA5 II plus, or both, but I'm not really sure how much either of those really bring over the e30/PA5 II combination

A bluetooth receiver in the DAC might be a nice to have, but it'll be connected to a windows pc that I can always just use as an A2DP sink, and bluetooth would mostly just be for friends to have something to connect to when they're over so bluetooth in the DAC isn't critical. A sub out might also be nice, but again not critical.

Are these reasonable choices? Am I overlooking something obvious? Any feedback would be appreciated! Thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @Neuromancer! Welcome to ASR.

The only difference between the PA5II Plus and the regular version is that the Plus comes with a higher current power supply:
Topping PA5 II+ Power Supply.jpg Topping PA5 II Stereo Amplifier Audio Balanced Amp back panel power supply review.jpg

This manifests in 7% higher volume with 4Ω loads.
At 8Ω, the advantage is gone and both have the same loudness.

There is an awesome tool for calculating Max SPL (Link), but you'd have to know the Tannoy's impedance and sensitivity.
Thing is, I wouldn't trust their own numbers, but those are all that we have as the Precision 6.2 has not been measured by an independent party yet.

Edit:
Actually, I found this snippet in an old article from HiFi Choice:
Screenshot_20240115-120506_Drive.png

89.6dB/2.83V combined with the (bumped down to) 4Ω impedance makes an efficiency of 86.6dB/1W.

Here's what that tool from above spits out:
Screenshot_20240115-121524_Chrome.png
I've had to assume listening distance and speaker placement, so feel free to substitute the actual values.

Last edited:
OP
N

Neuromancer

Amazing! Thank you for the welcome, and for the info. Definitely seems like the PA5 II will do the job more than well enough.

Also nice find on actual numbers for the Tannoys there, I hadn't been able to find anything beyond the usual 'excellent separation, great articulation' style of reviews. Really appreciated.

staticV3

Master Contributor
It's a shame that they're just describing their measurements, instead of actually showing them.

Oh well, beggars can't be choosers I guess :D

Top Bottom