• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II DAC Review

ivanobe

@Lasker the MKiii playing all day now, agree 100% in what you said, the differences are subtle, but in every aspect.
The IIII is slightly more open, but still with the nice bottom end that I love :D

Lasker

@Lasker the MKiii playing all day now, agree 100% in what you said, the differences are subtle, but in every aspect.
The IIII is slightly more open, but still with the nice bottom end that I love :D
You are using it in USB or optical? In my opinion the optical output now is very good and yes, your and my impression are the same. No way for me to try the coaxial output, did you tried it?

Last edited:

ivanobe

You are using it in USB or optical? In my opinion the optical output now is very good and yes, your and my impression are the same. No way for me to try the coaxial output, did you tried it?
I am using usb. don't have any optical options, but will try the coaxial cd player's

Wekhrlin

Hi there! The MkIII seems to have USB-C ports. Is that right? And since you really can't find anything about it: Are there any cables included in the package?

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi there! The MkIII seems to have USB-C ports. Is that right?
Yup, those are Type-C ports:
ed247631136e8c6c28a34c8956e2f482_8307c2d7-766e-4a7d-a522-7be748e2278c_2048x2048.png
Wasn't able to find anything about included cables, sorry.

gino1961

Addicted to Fun and Learning
i have the feeling that usb c is quite better than micro that i hate
i have the mk II
the idea of powering it with just pc power is hard to swallow
does anyone use a dedicated power supply?

ivanobe

Tested the coax port with Meridian cd player, it is good. Same nice bottom end, good open stage.
Anyway I have a normal cable of 20$. Lately I like to listen my old cd, will buy a better coax cable.

ivanobe

Hi there! The MkIII seems to have USB-C ports. Is that right?
Yup, those are Type-C ports:
ed247631136e8c6c28a34c8956e2f482_8307c2d7-766e-4a7d-a522-7be748e2278c_2048x2048.png
Wasn't able to find anything about included cables, sorry.

In the box there is an usb-C cable, it is okay but not using it because is short for me, instead I use an adapter Micro to C in order to use my old cable that I like.

Veri

Master Contributor
Anyway I have a normal cable of 20$. Lately I like to listen my old cd, will buy a better coax cable.
Seems fine, don't be surprised if your better coax cable changes ansolutely nothing :)

CauliflowerEars

I use the Mk3 with Adam t5v, the couple is simply magnific.
I just purchased both the SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk-3 and Topping E30 Mk-2, to test and choose. So far, listened to two tracks and somehow, my first impression is that E30 is more ... analogue, dry, piercing and the Sanskrit Mk-3 more ... full bodied, warm, pleasant (pardon my amateur vocab). I had a similar impression when listening to KEF Q350 vs ELAC DBR-62. I much prefer the look of the Topping, but so far ... sounds like SMSL is better ...

1. Do you (or anybody else) have experience of the SMSL Sanskrit 10th Mk-3 VS Topping E30 Mk-2?
2. Can one somehow test the multitone at home? What does multitone affect, really? Not sure what it is, but remember the argument was that E30 Mk-2 has better multitone vs Sanskrit, but Mk-2, not 3.
3. What's a good way to compare two DACs? I just listened to those (on Spotify free):
a. Eva Cassidy - Ain't no sunshine:
b. Art Blakey - Moanin' (Remastered):

MacBookPro 2012 -USB -> DAC-coax -> Pioneer a-505r -> Elac DBR-62.

staticV3

Master Contributor
So far, listened to two tracks and somehow, my first impression is that E30 is more ...
How did you volume-match the two DACs?

Can one somehow test the multitone at home?
Yes, using a sufficiently transparent ADC like the APx555, ADI-2 Pro, or Cosmos ADC.

Not sure what it is, but remember the argument was that E30 Mk-2 has better multitone vs Sanskrit, but Mk-2, not 3.
As far as I can tell, there are no Multitone measurements of the Sanskrit MKIII online. I expect it to perform the same as the E30 II though.

What's a good way to compare two DACs?
Using a switch box like the MC103 with a multimeter for volume matching, and with the help of a friend for actual double blind testing.
Any other methods are susceptibility to false results due to placebo.

CauliflowerEars

How did you volume-match the two DACs?
I set the amp in one volume position (just above 25%) and then, while listening, just adjusted the DACs' volume to nice listening level.
Yes, using a sufficiently transparent ADC like the APx555, ADI-2 Pro, or Cosmos ADC.
Unfortunately, I'm just a music enthusiast and not really advanced with any equipment, etc, so might not be able to follow those advice :/
Using a switch box like the MC103 with a multimeter for volume matching, and with the help of a friend for actual double blind testing.
Any other methods are susceptibility to false results due to placebo.
The same with the switch. Unfortunately, I have to manually reconnect the coaxial output cables between the DACs. Luckily, my MacBook has two USB outputs.
Might have to rely on double blind tests, then.

How would a difference in multitone be heard while listening to a song? What does multitone affect?

CauliflowerEars

So far, listened to two tracks and somehow, my first impression is that E30 is more ... analogue, dry, piercing and the Sanskrit Mk-3 more ... full bodied, warm, pleasant (pardon my amateur vocab). I had a similar impression when listening to KEF Q350 vs ELAC DBR-62. I much prefer the look of the Topping, but so far ... sounds like SMSL is better ...
OK, just had a more focused listening session and chose the E30, as it has more detail, clarity and highs. Makes music much more exciting.
SMSL seemed a bit ... muddy. Didn't play with SMSL's filters, though. E30 was listened on the default filter.
(when I wrote the first post, I forgot I had less bass and more treble on the amp, as was watching 007 the night before)

For me, E30 + DBR-62 is a good pairing, as the DAC adds highs and clarity to the supposed 'laid back' sound of the Elac's. Ah, so happy.

confucius_zero

Addicted to Fun and Learning
my first impression is that E30 is more ... analogue, dry, piercing and the Sanskrit Mk-3 more ... full bodied, warm, pleasant (pardon my amateur vocab).
it was already the case when I blind A/B'ed the e30 v sk10ii :)

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I don't have either the Sanskrit 10th MkII or the E30, but do use an RPi4 with D50s and D10s. I'm afraid that I can't give an exact answer to your question, but can advise that you may need to find a work-around solution. There are lots of variables when using an RPi and you won't know how things work with your chosen DAC until you play around with it.

If the DAC won't go into standby you can do one of the following:

1. Leave the thing on 24/7.
2. Switch to a different input and see if that activates standby.
3. Use a USB switch to manually sever the RPi-DAC connection.
4. Get an on/off switch for the RPi and, at the end of the day/listening session, turn the RPi off.

I manually switch my D50s off and that works fine. The D10s is powered by the USB connection to the RPi and so I employ option 4. There'll be a solution, but you might have to work it out for yourself.
How do I verify that the unit is in standby status? Is there an indication on the screen?

Fahzz

Forum Donor
I have a blue screen when no music is on I get "---". BUT maybe the Pi unit is still feeding a signal even if no music being played.

Considering the mkiii for my modest desktop setup (planning to hook it up to the USB port on my PC). Will an auxiliary power supply make a big difference compared to the standard USB port at the bottom? Is it possible to use both? Which power supply can you guys recommend?

Popscene

Considering the mkiii for my modest desktop setup (planning to hook it up to the USB port on my PC). Will an auxiliary power supply make a big difference compared to the standard USB port at the bottom? Is it possible to use both? Which power supply can you guys recommend?
With my mkII version, i don't notice any difference between with and without external supply. So, I don't use an external power supply.

Top Bottom