• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK II DAC Review

KTN46

I had the same issue, bought it from local store in my country (not from ALiexpress).
On box I saw 'v2' and picture from shop was with 768KHz, but on WIn10 I did not see that, so I asked seller from ALiexpress (does this DAC come with 768KHz on display and in XMOS driver and I got clearly response - YES), so I called to local store when I bought it and asked them, they told me "trust us, it is second version, we have checked it", but when I explained that device doesn't support 768KHz and 100% it is not real v2 - they without any question propose me return it and make refund.
What I have already done.

Probably, I will never buy again this cheap chinesse devices.

768KHz is just marketing and I do not like sound, connect it to PC, installed drivers, connect to Magni 3 and treble just make me cry, Creative G6 much better in my opinion, even my motherboard audio on Z490 sounds much better than this DAC.

...Where do you think the chips in most DACs are made?

I've used the Sanskrit 3 before... It was audibly transparent. If this DAC is distorting the treble region that much, then either your DAC or something else in your audio chain is broken.

Reactions: PSO

jimboaz

I think your experience is better suited here HifiGuides Forums and The HEADPHONE Community (headphones.com).
Power cables or -supplies shouldn't have a strong impact on the sound, unless there was something wrong.
Based on that logic - resistors of the exact same value , capacitors of the same value, interconnects of the same length and measurement, and electronics with the same raw specs should all sound the same... Power supplies don't make a difference? It's not subtle what the P50 and the power cord did....separately and collectively.....Adios - maybe get a better system?

Last edited:

KTN46

Based on that logic - resistors of the exact same value , capacitors of the same value, interconnects of the same length and measurement, and electronics with the same raw specs should all sound the same... Power supplies don't make a difference? It's not subtle what the P50 and the power cord did....separately and collectively.....Adios - maybe get a better system?

Thankfully, we can measure every electrical property of resistors and capacitors. So yes, a resistor with the same resistance, inductance and capacitance would have the same impact on sound as another with identical measurements. I don't know what you were expecting.

Almost all interconnects do nothing to impact the output. This has been measurably proven. Amirm recently measured the $2000 Audioquest cable. No difference to a generic cable.

Looking at the measurements, we can see that a linear power supply also does... Nothing. Very surprising.

I'm guessing you just plugged it in, and with your confirmation bias laden brain said "wow it sounds so much more euphoric". This is not how we form strong conclusions about the world around us. You yourself said: "I expected the improvement". Any sighted conclusion you had is untrustworthy because you went into it with inherent bias.

Surely you were expecting to be questioned on your result when you posted your subjective evaluation stating nonsensical things like:

"they blossom... without reducing inner detail and air"

"it just sound more 'analog' in the best sense"

Last edited:

KTN46

Again, I would like to advise you to go here HifiGuides Forums and The HEADPHONE Community (headphones.com).

I don't think its productive to rag on other forums, or cast people out when they're being silly. We should try to convince people and engage with them critically. ASR shouldn't be a closed off forum for people who only believe one thing. If we do that we risk becoming the circle-jerky, unscientific mess that we abhor from places less... Professional.

Jet Black

So jitter isn't that much of an issue then, right? Dedicated clock or no clock on the HAT - no big deal? I'll stick with the RPi then. Maybe. An Ibasso DC03 dongle DAC is on its way to me anyway, bought it accidentally from AliExpress lol. Will try to tell the difference between the two DACs. And I have more actually, in my phone, the laptop, the PC... Maybe hook them up to the amp and compare, for the sake of science lol.
How was the ibasso dc03 experience? I find so little information about this dac dongle. No reviews yet, i wonder how it is compared to other dongles, especially to the top notched e1da and cobalt butterfly

jimboaz

Thankfully, we can measure every electrical property of resistors and capacitors. So yes, a resistor with the same resistance, inductance and capacitance would have the same impact on sound as another with identical measurements. I don't know what you were expecting.

Almost all interconnects do nothing to impact the output. This has been measurably proven. Amirm recently measured the $2000 Audioquest cable. No difference to a generic cable.

Looking at the measurements, we can see that a linear power supply also does... Nothing. Very surprising.

I'm guessing you just plugged it in, and with your confirmation bias laden brain said "wow it sounds so much more euphoric". This is not how we form strong conclusions about the world around us. You yourself said: "I expected the improvement". Any sighted conclusion you had is untrustworthy because you went into it with inherent bias.

Surely you were expecting to be questioned on your result when you posted your subjective evaluation stating nonsensical things like:

"they blossom... without reducing inner detail and air"

"it just sound more 'analog' in the best sense"
You are wrong again - my first experience with the cable was on the DAC where I said I DID NOT expect any difference - yet it was the most dramatic - SO go play with your little o scope while I enjoy the new found music...try cotton swabs - lol

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
You are wrong again - my first experience with the cable was on the DAC where I said I DID NOT expect any difference - yet it was the most dramatic - SO go play with your little o scope while I enjoy the new found music...try cotton swabs - lol

You're new here...let's not start off like that.

Bias is a tricky thing to control for...it isn't as simple as you seem to believe.

Without listening controls, perceptions aren't going to be very reliable.

Based on that logic - resistors of the exact same value , capacitors of the same value, interconnects of the same length and measurement, and electronics with the same raw specs should all sound the same...

Yep, that pretty much covers it, barring boundary case issues, but essentially yes.

Do you believe there is hidden magic in there somewhere that we just don't have the equipment to measure?

jimboaz

You're new here...let's not start off like that.

Bias is a tricky thing to control for...it isn't as simple as you seem to believe.

Without listening controls, perceptions aren't going to be very reliable.

Yep, that pretty much covers it, barring boundary case issues, but essentially yes.

Do you believe there is hidden magic in there somewhere that we just don't have the equipment to measure?
Have YOU or anyone else reading this "measured" the stock cable that comes with the dac vs the Pangea replacement? If no, then you have no reason or proof to dispute any possible audible changes they may make.... do you? I have no bias one way or the other.....just 50 years of critical listening to audio systems....

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Have YOU or anyone else reading this "measured" the stock cable that comes with the dac vs the Pangea replacement? If no, then you have no reason or proof to dispute any possible audible changes they may make.... do you?

Science forum.

Where would the difference you hear be coming from? The DAC is transparent as is. A new power cable isn't going to make it better.

The proof would need to come from the one making extraordinary claims (at least here... Not most other sites. They encourage it because they make money off of these misconceptions.)

KTN46

I have no bias one way or the other

You stated "I expected the improvement". You are telling us that you believe that cables make a difference, despite there being no evidence to prove it. Can you find any evidence where in a general use case, cables make a measurable difference?

So the experience you went into is now marred by your cognitive bias, the expectation of a difference. You also spent extra money on overpriced cables, and we know for certain that how much we spend influences our perception of value. So yeah. You're biased. You're just blind to it. This is how audiofoolery is sold to the general consumer.

50 years of critical listening to audio systems....

The time you've spent listening to things unfortunately doesn't really mean much. Your hearing degrades over time, and your perception of sound is confounded by your unreliable brain. Measurement devices don't use terms like "inner detail and air" or "analog sounding, in the best sense", things that have no objective meaning.

The fact that you'd bring this up as an important talking point speaks further to your cognitive bias.

The burden of proof here though is on you. Explain how a power cable can influence sound. Use evidence (measurements or A/B testing) to convince us, not some appeal to personal expertise.

If no, then you have no reason or proof to dispute any possible audible changes they may make.... do you?

Because it would be very, very hard to mess up a power cable for such low power gear. I don't have to have your exact power cable to know where generic power cables come from, and the expected characteristics of such a cable. Are you saying Amirim's measurements are wrong because he hasn't measured every Sanskrit 10th MKII on the planet?

Last edited:
N

nhatlam96

Looks totally clear to me. Any good DAC should filter those noises. A cheaper DAC like a sub $100 one could pick up USB noise but usually this should not happen. Key point usually :)

index.php
I own the SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK2 and have EMI over USB, so I use TOSLINK. Does that mean my unit is sub-defective or something? :(
SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK2 owners, do you also have EMI issues over USB? My pc has RX5700XT graphics card.

N

nhatlam96

I have absolutely no issues from Day1. I have only used USB (from macbook pro 2019 laptop to SMSL DAC)
On laptops there won't be any issues, because the EMI is too low there. On my laptop I also do not have any EMI issues. However, on my computer with the fat RX5700XT graphics card, I have big EMI problem :(

Reactions: PSO

jimboaz

You stated "I expected the improvement". You are telling us that you believe that cables make a difference, despite there being no evidence to prove it. Can you find any evidence where in a general use case, cables make a measurable difference?

So the experience you went into is now marred by your cognitive bias, the expectation of a difference. You also spent extra money on overpriced cables, and we know for certain that how much we spend influences our perception of value. So yeah. You're biased. You're just blind to it. This is how audiofoolery is sold to the general consumer.

The time you've spent listening to things unfortunately doesn't really mean much. Your hearing degrades over time, and your perception of sound is confounded by your unreliable brain. Measurement devices don't use terms like "inner detail and air" or "analog sounding, in the best sense", things that have no objective meaning.

The fact that you'd bring this up as an important talking point speaks further to your cognitive bias.

The burden of proof here though is on you. Explain how a power cable can influence sound. Use evidence (measurements or A/B testing) to convince us, not some appeal to personal expertise.

Because it would be very, very hard to mess up a power cable for such low power gear. I don't have to have your exact power cable to know where generic power cables come from, and the expected characteristics of such a cable. Are you saying Amirim's measurements are wrong because he hasn't measured every Sanskrit 10th MKII on the planet?

Quotes from other DAC users in this thread.....I guess they hear funny things too!! Must absolutely be Covid related? LOL
All I got was a very clear but pretty sterile listen.....
there's a veil lifted, a cohesion that ties the music together......
Some of Freddie's vocals are more articulate and i can hear him jump between notes I never knew were there.....
It sounds a little different for sure, but based on the reviews I expected it to be much better...
I perceive more subtle details, a sound scene where each instrument is well detached, and an incredible depth and cleanliness of the bass. It's really splendid.....
e30 has cleaner multitone, so I would say it is a hair better.

KTN46

Nice shifting of the goalposts. "These cherrypicked quotes must mean that there's a difference!", ignoring everything else that was said. Where were you going with your 'resistors of the same value' point again? Or the one where you couldn't possibly be under the effects of cognitive bias? Or the one where cables make a grand, perceptible evidence? Moving to another poorly made point after your other ones have shown to be fundamentally wrong is a good way to be in denial of the reality that surrounds you.

All I got was a very clear but pretty sterile listen.....
there's a veil lifted, a cohesion that ties the music together......
Some of Freddie's vocals are more articulate and i can hear him jump between notes I never knew were there.....
I perceive more subtle details, a sound scene where each instrument is well detached, and an incredible depth and cleanliness of the bass. It's really splendid.....

You quoted... 2 new users using random audiofoolery-based descriptors. How many comments on these forums are there stating that beyond a certain point, DACs make no difference? How many comments have you seen from people stating without a doubt that silly power cables and interconnects make no difference at all?

The difference between those quotes and the rest of the posts here is that we have measurements to back up our claims. Phrases like "veil lifted" have no objective meaning.

It sounds a little different for sure, but based on the reviews I expected it to be much better...

This quote actually doesn't do anything to help your case, because you conveniently excluded the entire context:

I don't have much experience in DACs. I have a NAD C 356BEE amplifier with integrated DAC, and I can't say the Sanskrit is better. It sounds a little different for sure, but based on the reviews I expected it to be much better.

So they're transitioning from an integrated DAC solution, solutions which tend to be slightly perceptibly worse as measurements have shown. The user also can't really conclude that the Sanskrit sounds better, and he was expecting a difference, so cognitive bias plays into his assessment that it sounds "a little different".

Your last quote is from Veri, a forum regular who does not believe in magical cables or overpriced linear power supplies because there are no measurements that can show they sound different. His assessment of the Topping E30 being better was a subjective value-judgement, not an audible one.

Last edited:

ninetylol

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I own the SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK2 and have EMI over USB, so I use TOSLINK. Does that mean my unit is sub-defective or something? :(
SMSL Sanskrit 10th MK2 owners, do you also have EMI issues over USB? My pc has RX5700XT graphics card.
I have had Bad noises with every DAC I ever had with USB. Even toslink wouldnt work if I had to Power it from USB PC.

Even had it when i had a fully isolated DAC and amp with their own Power sources and toslink, when the amp preout was connected to my active speakers, which were also still connected to PC USB.

I dont know if its EMI or a ground loop, but Yeah any connection to PC but Toslink is really bad for me. RTX 3080 in system btw, and I could hear noises when moving mouse etc.

hwlr

Hi, I've seen this on this product's audiophonics page :
1612209995013.png

There is no equivalent mention on SMSL website, or I haven't find it.

From what I understand, instead of digitally reducing the volume like windows would do for example, it reduces the voltage corresponding to any digital signal value. Am I correct? If so, would this make a noticeable difference when using the DAC as a preamp? I'm hesitating between this and the Topping E30, it seems the E30 has better measurements but this one has this hardware control... thank you for you help! :)

brimble

Forum Donor
From what I understand, instead of digitally reducing the volume like windows would do for example, it reduces the voltage corresponding to any digital signal value. Am I correct? If so, would this make a noticeable difference when using the DAC as a preamp?

I don't know the answer to your first question, but it wouldn't make any difference (provided whichever method it uses is well implemented, which it seems that it is). See https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sive-or-amp-volume-control.17810/#post-578597

Between this and the Topping, you should buy whichever you find prettier :) Faced with the same choice, I bought the Sanskrit and am very happy with it.

KTN46

I have had Bad noises with every DAC I ever had with USB. Even toslink wouldnt work if I had to Power it from USB PC.

Even had it when i had a fully isolated DAC and amp with their own Power sources and toslink, when the amp preout was connected to my active speakers, which were also still connected to PC USB.

I dont know if its EMI or a ground loop, but Yeah any connection to PC but Toslink is really bad for me. RTX 3080 in system btw, and I could hear noises when moving mouse etc.

I have a friend with a 5700XT who also hears noises when he moves his mouse. He fixed his issue by going balanced.

hwlr

Top Bottom