• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL M500 - Owners' Thread

Toku

Major Contributor
DSD256 seems to be playing just fine, not hearing any noise.
Sorry for the late reply.
The information I get is
There is a problem with DSD256 where sound drops every few seconds.

Today I received my second order M500 from Shenzhen Audio in China.
I would like to report the comparison with the M500 of the initial model purchased before.

OP
T

TC!!

Sorry for the late reply.
The information I get is

Today I received my second order M500 from Shenzhen Audio in China.
I would like to report the comparison with the M500 of the initial model purchased before.
I've now bought one direct from SMSL and it should be with me this week, then I'll be able to join in with the testing.

NorthGraves

Nothing like that for sure, played a couple of DSD256 songs start to end, 5 or so min each.
SW 1.5
HW 1.2
2019-10-9
USB firmware 1.08

2019-12-04_092324.png

Last edited:

jamezdk

Why am i getting a lot of MQA 44.1/48 kHz in the display when playing Tidal Masters, is it not decoding properly?

NorthGraves

Last edited:

jamezdk

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just ordered M500, is the firmware update fairly straightforward with instructions in the box or am I going to have to search the Internet for a primer?

OP
T

TC!!

Just ordered M500, is the firmware update fairly straightforward with instructions in the box or am I going to have to search the Internet for a primer?

Download the USB update 1.08 from here:
http://www.smsl-audio.com/download.asp

There's instructions in English explaining how you upgrade the Windows USB driver and then the USB firmware of the M500. I'm on a Mac and had to use Virtualbox to run Windows but it was still pretty straightforward for me.

NorthGraves

Last edited:

Telya

Hi again,

just ignore my question. I will keep the question in the forum, as I was not able to find the solution in the forum.

Solution: I didn't know that I have to switch the output stage from headphones to XLR-Out. On the other side it's interesting that the M500 has such a high level of crosstalk between the headphone Output stage and the XLR-Outs.

Hi,

I just joined the club of the M500 owners and have a problem: My M500 works fine with the headphones, but my Speakers (Adam A3X) are just playing at very low volume and suffer from strong Distorsion.
I update the M500 from 1.05 to 1.08 already and installed the latest USB-Driver.

Thanks for help in advance
Telya

Last edited:

Toku

Major Contributor
Hi again,

just ignore my question. I will keep the question in the forum, as I was not able to find the solution in the forum.

Solution: I didn't know that I have to switch the output stage from headphones to XLR-Out. On the other side it's interesting that the M500 has such a high level of crosstalk between the headphone Output stage and the XLR-Outs.

Hi,

I just joined the club of the M500 owners and have a problem: My M500 works fine with the headphones, but my Speakers (Adam A3X) are just playing at very low volume and suffer from strong Distorsion.
I update the M500 from 1.05 to 1.08 already and installed the latest USB-Driver.

Thanks for help in advance
Telya
Did you switch the output mode of the M500 from headphones to line output at that time?
Is the speaker symbol displayed on the upper left of the display?

When the volume is set to the maximum in the headphone output mode, the M500 leaks a little sound to the RCA output.
The sound will be a little distorted as you heard.

Last edited:

Shoaibexpert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Favorite and most musical PCM Filter...those who can hear a difference?

Veri

Master Contributor
Favorite and most musical PCM Filter...those who can hear a difference?
I personally use either the Apodising or Minimum Phase Slow(~1dB roll-off of higher frequencies). Both are minimum phase and not linear phase but I can't hear difference in phase changes whatsoever... very few people can.

Shoaibexpert

I personally use either the Apodising or Minimum Phase Slow(~1dB roll-off of higher frequencies). Both are minimum phase and not linear phase but I can't hear difference in phase changes whatsoever... very few people can.
Thanks. Didn't know you were on M500 too. Its a pretty neat DAC...but been a bit disappointed with the chip heating fiasco. I loved Apodidizing myself but nowadays going for Hybrid which is a Linear filter I believe...it seems to boost the highs...Don't know if that's a good thing with Headphones...

Veri

Master Contributor
Thanks. Didn't know you were on M500 too. Its a pretty neat DAC...but been a bit disappointed with the chip heating fiasco. I loved Apodidizing myself but nowadays going for Hybrid which is a Linear filter I believe...it seems to boost the highs...Don't know if that's a good thing with Headphones...
If you love apodising I'd just use that :D the differences besides roll-off with slower filters, are neglegible to non-existent/placebo anyway..

ArturoKiwi

Hi to everyone, I hope I'm not asking a stupid question, but could I connect a raspberry volumio to m500 by usb?
Thanks

Anders O

Just got my M500 today, works well so far, use it with tidal, Im just wondering every time I change song it looses MQA and takes a second to come back again, often the new song has already started. Any solution for this?

Shoaibexpert

Just got my M500 today, works well so far, use it with tidal, Im just wondering every time I change song it looses MQA and takes a second to come back again, often the new song has already started. Any solution for this?
Did you upgrade the SW?

NorthGraves

use it with tidal, Im just wondering every time I change song it looses MQA and takes a second to come back again, often the new song has already started. Any solution for this?
Using Tidal MQA now, nothing like that at all. Perfectly seamless.

Please update to FW 1.08, also make those choices within Tidal as in my screenshot above.

Top Bottom