• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL A300 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 44 15.8%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 151 54.3%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 69 24.8%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 14 5.0%

• Total voters

Repdetect

Forum Donor
damn those are some expensive impressive speakers

they are pretty efficient on those specs alone

i reckon the Sabaj A30 would be good if you're ok with the price and the dac-less design

if you 'like' the SMSL SBD thing you could buy one of their low priced dacs and you can turn it on there
I had the Galo Reference 3.1's for a few years, then decided to audition the Classicos. After comparing them for a month, the choice was clear.
I had the Sabaj a30a but returned it after issue came up. Liked the sound though.
The SMSL DO100 serves me well. Really like the LDAC Bluetooth that it offers. Near thought BT would sound so good.
Thanks for your suggestion.

tehSpid3r

I am interested in buying the SMSL A300 amplifier.
My basic setup is PC -> HA INFO DA1 dac/headphone amp -> SMSL SA98E amp -> Magnat Quantum 673 monitors. I also have a Pioneer A-30 amp and SMSL Sankskrit dac. What's cool about the DA1 is the ability to swap op-amps.
What I care about the most or what I miss the most is the subwoofer output and the ability to adjust the tones directly in the amplifier (preferably the presence of loudness due to the use of the computer at late hours).
I am interested in the amplifier from the topic but I am also open to other suggestions. I was thinking about Marantz PM6007 (used, no loudness), Yamaha S-701 (used, slightly bright sound), SMSL AO200 or A300.
Overall my budget for an amp is around $500 (preferably closer to $250, new or used).
I'm not interested in numbers because they don't play. I mean, they play, but they affect the reception of the equipment too much and do not allow you to focus on enjoying the listening experience. Anyone else have any interesting suggestions?
I would also like to add that amirm does a very good job.

D

Deleted member 48726

My basic setup is PC -> HA INFO DA1 dac/headphone amp -> SMSL SA98E amp -> Magnat Quantum 673 monitors. I also have a Pioneer A-30 amp and SMSL Sankskrit dac. What's cool about the DA1 is the ability to swap op-amps.
What I care about the most or what I miss the most is the subwoofer output and the ability to adjust the tones directly in the amplifier (preferably the presence of loudness due to the use of the computer at late hours).
I am interested in the amplifier from the topic but I am also open to other suggestions. I was thinking about Marantz PM6007 (used, no loudness), Yamaha S-701 (used, slightly bright sound), SMSL AO200 or A300.
Overall my budget for an amp is around $500 (preferably closer to $250, new or used).
I'm not interested in numbers because they don't play. I mean, they play, but they affect the reception of the equipment too much and do not allow you to focus on enjoying the listening experience. Anyone else have any interesting suggestions?
Seems like you should get the Yamaha A-S701. It got loudness, sub out, tone controls and a DAC. And it isn't "bright" sounding. It has a completely flat response. I know that some reviewers say that it is "bright" and has the "Yamaha sound". It's BS.

Bleib

Major Contributor
Many seem to recommend those Yamaha's as above. However, if SMSL is interesting I'd rather look at the new AL200

dudewithcans

i was really interested in an ASR review, thank you amir.

i REALLY wanted to like the A300 and (therefor) had 2 different units for testing, and disregarding the ASR review voted for the headless panther because of the high static noise/hissing on my speakers (with or without source connected, volume set to 0, or 10, didnt matter...) - NO OTHER class-D amp i had before or after the A300 was worse.

tehSpid3r

The AL200 looks very promising but I miss the subwoofer output. I am not entirely convinced about the A-S701. Even the opinions of users tend to the fact that it lacks depth and impact and the brightness of the sound comes to the fore.
I really like the sound of the A-30 and wish its successor the A-40 had SW

D

Deleted member 48726

The AL200 looks very promising but I miss the subwoofer output. I am not entirely convinced about the A-S701. Even the opinions of users tend to the fact that it lacks depth and impact and the brightness of the sound comes to the fore.
Well the evidence is fortunately right here, at ASR-->
Looks flat to me.

index.php

Source-->

SimpleTheater

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

dudewithcans

excellent performance.
but im not quite certain whether i would want to have witnessed this act with a yamaha amplifier instead of my NAD, as they tend to be a bit bright... :D:cool:

pickyAudiophile

Always nice to see when measurements correspond with my highly subjective listening experience (like frequency drawing, maximum resolution achievable).
This was the harshest sounding one by SMSL, Sabaj, Loxjie so far I ever had with me.
Glad I got rid of it before this review came out. Any Infineon Merus and SMSL just seems not be a good marriage. They should leave these to car manufacturers and the OEM automotive business as a whole. Well implemented TPA325x might be the way to go in that price range at this time.

saberger0357

Curious what speakers you had were using with it. Two of them bridged with my Allison One’s is anything but harsh. More of a full lush presentation reminiscent of some older solid state amps I own from the 70’s.

longma

Always nice to see when measurements correspond with my highly subjective listening experience (like frequency drawing, maximum resolution achievable).
This was the harshest sounding one by SMSL, Sabaj, Loxjie so far I ever had with me.
Glad I got rid of it before this review came out. Any Infineon Merus and SMSL just seems not be a good marriage. They should leave these to car manufacturers and the OEM automotive business as a whole. Well implemented TPA325x might be the way to go in that price range at this time
I don't hear hash in my system. I feed A300 with SU1. The speakers are Infinite Primus 363 and 163, easy to drive. I normally listen with volume 25-26(max is 60, my room 18x15). I don't listen with volume more than 30 ( too loud). I think it depends on matching with components in the system ( speakers, cables ... Cables is a controversial, but i do find cables affect the sound. I have tried few cable under $100: Cobra, bjc, Amazon basic, Mogami 2964, and a few under $20 interconnects from Amazon).

Roland68

Major Contributor
Glad I got rid of it before this review came out. Any Infineon Merus and SMSL just seems not be a good marriage. They should leave these to car manufacturers and the OEM automotive business as a whole. Well implemented TPA325x might be the way to go in that price range at this time.
How do you determine the maximum achievable resolution?

ampguy

One more limitation noted on the A300 in bridged mono mode. While I feel I can hear better sound though Roon Pi streamer (from library and Qobuz) to SMSL D6 or Ares II DAC, to dual A300s in bridged mode, one thing I tried was inputting the outputs from my Phono pre into IN2 of the master. That's a no go, with any combo of IN1/IN2 on either A300, only IN1 gives stereo in bridged mode. Preamps and even the Schiit $50 SYS could add an input, but not going to bother for now.

saberger0357

One more limitation noted on the A300 in bridged mono mode. While I feel I can hear better sound though Roon Pi streamer (from library and Qobuz) to SMSL D6 or Ares II DAC, to dual A300s in bridged mode, one thing I tried was inputting the outputs from my Phono pre into IN2 of the master. That's a no go, with any combo of IN1/IN2 on either A300, only IN1 gives stereo in bridged mode. Preamps and even the Schiit $50 SYS could add an input, but not going to bother for now.
Bridged mode, connecting from the BTL-R of the master to the left input 1 of the slave? As opposed to dual mono bridged?

pickyAudiophile

May I refer to the initial thread about that amp to find answers, https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/new-smsl-a300-btl-class-d-power-amp.34607 , it's been discussed starting somewhere around the middle of all posts. In short: master-slave wasn't recommended as overly useful, better use one remote control and just feed devices monaural with no interconnection. Since both devices will respond in parallel to any command from remote control - and will do that reliably.

Top Bottom