• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Would the Fosi ZA3 be a noticeable upgrade over working SMSL A300 at low to mod levels w LS50s?

ampguy

I'm enjoying my A300(s) with LS 50s in a small room, usually at low, never high and rarely "moderate" sound levels. Source is 2 fold - Marantz TT15 turntable with Parks Puffin phono pre, and Roon streamer (Rpi to SMSL D6 DAC) so I need an amp with 2 inputs. I enjoy the A300 sound quality, although I admit the specs in Amirs review here show it to be on the low end, even for budget class D amps.

Although this new ZA3 hasn't been reviewed yet, I expect it to measure better, possibly close to that Aiyima AO7 similar product. I like the ZA3 because it takes XLR (even if not fully balanced throughout), has 2 inputs, like the A300, can be used in mono for minimal gains, if desired in the future (A300 gives maximal power gains, but I realize the ZA3 is not there yet), and sub out, not concerned that it has no filter for the mains, as the LS50s have no issues with full range and a sub, while other speakers might. I also like the audio taper of the Fosi like the V3 I have, as the A300 has the chintzy linear non-audio rotary dial, and basic remote for volume. I might miss EQ on the ZA3 as I like E2 (SDB) on the A300, especially at very low volumes, but I can easily dial that in with Roon's DSP PEQ.

Thoughts? I spun the dial at Fosi and can get 20% off, but delivery likely end of Jan or Feb, and I can wait.

OP
A

ampguy

Bump, any users who have/had SMSL A300 and moved to Fosi ZA3 ?

G-Can

Bump, any users who have/had SMSL A300 and moved to Fosi ZA3 ?
Well, I had SMSL A0300 and that played definitely nicer then Fosi V3 with C100 Dac

more powerful, more lively bass, way more open sound, open stage, just more 3d sounding

Top Bottom