• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

SMSL A300 Stereo Amplifier Review

Rate this amplifier:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 44 15.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 151 54.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 69 24.9%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 4.7%

• Total voters

ampguy

Thanks Amir for measuring this amp. While it's performance is less than I had hoped, I'm enjoying a pair of these in dual mono mode. Yes, both the sub and the mains can be filtered but only at a single point, about 100Hz. I think 24db/octave, works well for my Kef LS50s and REL HT1205, but have not tried other combos. While I still think they're a good sounding deal for bridgeable powerful compact amps, I'll certainly reference this review before recommending to others. Thanks!

ampguy

I woke up today feeling like things seemed off. Sure enough, I made an impulse purchase of this amp (instead of the Fosi v3/ 48volt for my pair of Elac db62s ) just an hour before this review was posted. I prioritized the remote and extra rca for my turntable, thinking it couldn’t be worse than the v3. Amazon has already shipped it, and it’ll be here tomorrow morning - so my question is should I just return it for the Fosi?
I have both and can't hear the difference, but I love the mono bridging, EQ, and sub capabilities of the A300s, (even stereo mode), but there's no doubt the Fosi V3 measures better, and has a great audio taper pot, one of the firsts in low cost class D amps, I think.

ampguy

I guess I should add that, if one uses their DAC's like me, which instead of using the DAC's volume, you always have the DAC full up, at highest output, you're going to be more likely to get that 96db SINAD measured than the mid 80s with low voltage input, just an observation. I realize most DACs now offer digital volume and a lot of headroom, but I've always used my DAC's at full fixed volume, maybe that is why it sounds great to me, despite having some mediocre numbers at low input voltages.

Toku

Major Contributor
I've been using the A300 for months now and my aural perception of sound quality and amirm measurements don't match very well.
But the numbers in the measurements tell the truth. Audio is a strange world.

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The USB connector is type A (host). I don't think you can use it as USB digital input; at least not without a special host-to-host cable.
According to the manual it is a USB digital input.

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
The USB connector is type A (host). I don't think you can use it as USB digital input; at least not without a special host-to-host cable.
I have this amplifier.
It can be used as USB input with ordinary USB A to USB A cable - that is actually included in the package.

@amirm could test it's performance or at least in comparison to RCA I puts.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the digital input routes thru the bluetooth chipset so its 16/48 only... this type A to A is some kind of smsl abomination that doesnt seem to conform to USB specs.

i dont think people will find it too interesting?

also i think smsl would be constantly updating the spec of the amp as it ages

i have an early one and i think it has some odd noisy hiss once you crank the vol. too much

i never had this issue as i always left the vol. at say 35-40 and just upped the gain on my preamp or dac

also these results do not bode well for the AL200 unit which has the same amp stage + the m300 dac

saberger0357

Just recently purchased two of them using with Allison One speakers. I love them, and I have several vintage McIntosh tube and solid state amps that cost thousands more, and these sound just fine compared. I'm using them in a dual mono, each amp in BTL mode, as opposed to the more conventional bridged mode described in the manual. And I'm using with a separate preamp. No complaints whatsoever, especially at $400 for the pair.

JSmith

Master Contributor
Pretty much as expected, but good to see the test results anyway @amirm.

1690511257512.png

JSmith

Bleib

Major Contributor
I've been using the A300 for months now and my aural perception of sound quality and amirm measurements don't match very well.
But the numbers in the measurements tell the truth. Audio is a strange world.
Loudspeakers and room have a lot to say about final audio quality. And obviously most recordings aren't top notch either.

I sold mine after I read about the frequency curve

longma

I expect the result of the measurement. SMSL markets A300 cheaper than D9, A2000 with some reason.
I have both A300 and Aiyima A07. Even though on measurements, both are about the same, but from my listening, A300 sounds much better, cleaner, better instrument separations. My source is Oppo 205 and Onkyo 7555; my speakers are Infinity Primus 363, 163, and JBL 530. I directly connect Oppo to the amps. My O7 is used for surround speakers. When i listen to music, i use A300.
One day i will try some good measurement amp to compare to see if i can hear the difference.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 48726

To me it looks like a bargain: A 50 wpc amp with 80 db sinad, sub outs for l.t. $250. Combine with any cheap $100 Dac, and get a pair of OG LS 50's which are now selling for $300 pr, add an SV 1000 sub for $500-600, and you have a legitimate, good looking high performance 2 channel system for around $1200-1400.

Really?

View attachment 301771

1690521246072.png

ObjectiveSubjectivist

Forum Donor
the digital input routes thru the bluetooth chipset so its 16/48 only... this type A to A is some kind of smsl abomination that doesnt seem to conform to USB specs.

i dont think people will find it too interesting?

also i think smsl would be constantly updating the spec of the amp as it ages

i have an early one and i think it has some odd noisy hiss once you crank the vol. too much

i never had this issue as i always left the vol. at say 35-40 and just upped the gain on my preamp or dac

also these results do not bode well for the AL200 unit which has the same amp stage + the m300 dac
Yes, still amir should modify the description not to spread misinformation.

Reactions: pdb

JSmith

Master Contributor

Yamaha A-S301 review

A budget stereo amp worthy of your attention www.whathifi.com
No data there... but there is here;
So, for 5 Watts of power on 4-Ohms speakers connected and external DAC playing sines I got a THD+N of 0.0046% with 1 KHz and 0.0052% with 50 Hz.
This amp wounld give me quit a nasty shock when I touch the exterior, wonder if it has anything to do with the ground pin not connected to anything inside?
Well that was identified in this other thread;
... and I'd suggest it's very much to do with that, induced current due to floating ground, no safety ground connection.

JSmith

Ziroz

Well that was identified in this other thread;
... and I'd suggest it's very much to do with that, induced current due to floating ground, no safety ground connection.
Very interesting information, seem like quite the fuss to fix it.
Some these fixes seem promising, but I've returned my unit due to the rather painful experience I had with it, so I can't really try them out.

Last edited:
Top Bottom