• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smartphones will kill off DSLR's soon/

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
At some point you just AI-generate the whole image and bypass the camera step entirely.
Which has already happened in a lot of rendered product shots. I work at an ad agency with a major wine account. It is absolutely astounding how good the rendered bottle shots are. Plus they can be output at any rotation or angle. My take on this subject is that a phone camera works for most people most of the time. DSLRs are now targeted for pros, artists and enthusiasts who need the flexibility, tech and ergonomics they provide.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's a psychological boundary between computational methods that discard data that was there, like fake bokeh, or things like combining multiple shots to form a single higher-res or panoramic image - and software that generates data that was not collected like you would need to counteract diffraction. Sharpening is a touchy subject and look at the hostility over HDR imagery (admittedly, in both cases that's partly because people abuse those methods.)

At some point you just AI-generate the whole image and bypass the camera step entirely.
Well, yes - that is being done too. (albeit in this case in the artist community)

Just for fun - here is one I've just "created" from the text "photo of a camera with a coke bottle lens"
DALL·E 2022-09-18 22.17.10 - photo of a camera with a coke bottle lens.png

bkdc

Forum Donor
Physics is physics. I applaud the improvement in tiny smartphone cameras. The death of the dSLR (or mirrorless) is still far away.

For professional use or for portraiture, the color depth, dynamic range, contrast, and true depth of field control cannot be mimicked even with fancy software. Asking a tiny contraption to do the work of my state of the art 50mm f/1.2 auto-focus lens??? Yeah. Except the best camera is the one that you have with you which is always a smartphone and sometimes the mirrorless.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would like to charge my phone with crimes against humanity every time I try to type a message on one of those atrocious touch keyboards with my stubby fingers. :mad:
Come on now. Get with it. Learn to swype. Nearly as fast as typing. Some of the phones now even seem to learn your personal phrasing habits in predicting what you are swyping.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Come on now. Get with it. Learn to swype. Nearly as fast as typing. Some of the phones now even seem to learn your personal phrasing habits in predicting what you are swyping.
I get weird characters from other alphabets when Android :p thinks I am doing that!
I do freaking hate smartphones... now that I have one (forced into it when 3G went away), even more than I did before.

Reactions: EJ3

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I get weird characters from other alphabets when Android :p thinks I am doing that!
I do freaking hate smartphones... now that I have one (forced into it when 3G went away), even more than I did before.
There is always dictating using your voice. That works alright most of the time, but isn't discrete if out in public.

mansr

Major Contributor
There is always dictating using your voice. That works alright most of the time, but isn't discrete if out in public.
SURE COMMA BUT GETTING PUNCTUATION RIGHT CAN BE A CHALLENGE STOP IT APOSTROPHE S ALSO EASY TO MESS UP UPPER SLASH LOWER HYPHEN CASE STOP DO YOU KNOW A TRICK FOR THIS QUESTION MARK

jbattman1016

I'm going to chime in here as I recently did baby photos with both a smart phone and DSLR (Nikon D3100). The images out of the box from the nikon are not too great, so I have to shoot on RAW and post process. Nothing crazy with adobe, just correcting while balance, color, etc.

The pictures from my nikon are sharp (most of the time), but since the auto focus tech is pretty dated, it doesn't ALWAYS get in focus. The shots that are in focus are clear and have great depth to them and allow me to easily crop without seeing any artifacts (unless I do something extreme)

With the smartphone (pixel 6) the images look alright, sometimes over-sharp, or the white shirts look a little grey due to HDR processing, but for how quick and easy it is to get a photo that can be shared and even printed. Yeah, the smart phone wins the market for consumers.

I typically spend several hours after the photo shoot working with the RAW files and then uploading/printing them. Very time consuming, which I think means this already hobby field, is basically a novelty for most at this point.

Would I get rid of my DSLR? Likely not, as I love having the ability to get new glass to play with. Will I upgrade to a new model... likely once the last crop is released from nikon and on crazy sale lol.

Last edited:

pablolie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Smartphones are optimized mostly for everyday, point-and-shoot photography. Not ambitioned, creative photography. The AI-based pic processing is awesome, the lenses have clear physical limitation.

I don't see mirrorless, larger sensor cameras dying anytime soon - they (with the right lenses of course) provide a photographer with creative envelopes that a smartphone simply doesn't, creative possibilities that no smartphone can, and can deliver on "art".

IMO the problem with DSLRs is/was that many people who shouldn't have had one to begin with felt compelled to get one. :)

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
IMO the problem with DSLRs is/was that many people who shouldn't have had one to begin with felt compelled to get one. :)
I agree. I was searching for a DSLR and I finally admitted to myself that I just need a point and shoot with decent mega pixel ability. So back to another Canon I went. :D

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
I don't see mirrorless, larger sensor cameras dying anytime soon

In ten years’ time they’ll be all but forgotten, and in 20 years we’ll have threads like “Can anyone explain the DSLR renaissance?”

DMill

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
For most part the spray and pray methodology of photography will work and you don’t need anything but a smart phone for that. Take 400 pictures, you probably get a good one for Facebook. I’m a creative ad guy... when you need a shot, photographers require the right gear to get it done. This goes beyond the camera in most situations that I’ve been in an involved with. Lighting, art direction, and dealing with talent just to name a few. The best ones Ive worked with will hire a producer that will scrape the sesame seeds off the clients bagel to keep them out of the way.

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For most part the spray and pray methodology of photography will work and you don’t need anything but a smart phone for that. Take 400 pictures, you probably get a good one for Facebook. I’m a creative ad guy... when you need a shot, photographers require the right gear to get it done. This goes beyond the camera in most situations that I’ve been in an involved with. Lighting, art direction, and dealing with talent just to name a few. The best ones Ive worked with will hire a producer that will scrape the sesame seeds off the clients bagel to keep them out of the way.
I'm somewhere in between, smart phone doesn't cut yet. But don't need more than a 250 (maybe 300) focal length. But need a fast lens for low light conditions.

Last edited:

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
One of the things that has kind of bugged me about some modern communications technolgy. It used to be if someone was walking along, talking/yelling/screaming/gesticulating, you could assume they were nuts. Now, it's at least as likely that they're on the phone. :facepalm:

Narnian

One of the things that has kind of bugged me about some modern communications technolgy. It used to be if someone was walking along, talking/yelling/screaming/gesticulating, you could assume they were nuts. Now, it's at least as likely that they're on the phone. :facepalm:
They are not mutually exclusive.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I can think of at least one positive outcome: With smartphones, people are actually snapping photos of their daily lives, as opposed to leaving their cameras in storage for all but a couple of weeks a year, if that.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I can think of at least one positive outcome: With smartphones, people are actually snapping photos of their daily lives, as opposed to leaving their cameras in storage for all but a couple of weeks a year, if that.
Best camera is the one you carry. Old as the hills saying but it's true. :D I have a 30x zoom Canon Point and Shoot. It's ready for most things. The color sucks though.

Top Bottom