• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Smartphones will kill off DSLR's soon/

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's happening much faster than I would have thought only a few years ago. It's near certain Nikon will not announce a new DSLR or F mount lens ever again.

They already said so. This is one of dozens that reported the same info.

Canon said so first.

So far it wasn't the smartphone that killed off the DSLR, it is mirrorless cameras.

OP
Ron Texas

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

They already said so. This is one of dozens that reported the same info.

Canon said so first.

So far it wasn't the smartphone that killed off the DSLR, it is mirrorless cameras.
I don't know about Canon, but Nikon denied the quoted report. None the less, the DSLR is on the way out. This is different from the end of film because even though DSLR cameras are going out of production, their output still fits in with the digital infrastructure.

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
I think technology like fashion comes and goes.

The title is confusing causation with correlation which none of you should be surprised at.

The smartphone has largely decimated compact cameras... I myself have prior to this decade been a avid 'collector' of compact cameras... remember the Canon Ixus?

But when smartphones took over no one wanted compact cameras... I myself remember buying Nikon Coolpix cameras for literally well under $50 on special. They largely did not take pictures any better than a reasonably modern smartphone.

Of course there will always be a market for compact cameras... look at the Lumix and other types.

However it should have been abundantly clear from day one that the digital SLR was a real kludge... we use mirrors because we have always used mirrors.

And the development of the eye level LCD viewfinder would eventually kill mirrors.

There will always be a market for interchangeable lens large body cameras. It just took 20 yrs for mirrors to die from advanced electric viewfinders.

mansr

Major Contributor
However it should have been abundantly clear from day one that the digital SLR was a real kludge... we use mirrors because we have always used mirrors.

And the development of the eye level LCD viewfinder would eventually kill mirrors.
The viewfinder is one reason for having the mirror. It's only recently that electronic viewfinders have reached sufficient speed and resolution to be an acceptable replacement for optical ones. Another reason is that for some time, high-end sensors didn't support live readout.

Tks

Major Contributor
The viewfinder is one reason for having the mirror. It's only recently that electronic viewfinders have reached sufficient speed and resolution to be an acceptable replacement for optical ones. Another reason is that for some time, high-end sensors didn't support live readout.
What sensor's are these? I'm assuming research/industrial?

mansr

Major Contributor
What sensor's are these? I'm assuming research/industrial?
Every Canon DSLR before the 1D Mark III (2007). Nikon might have had the capability earlier.

Auto-focus and light metering also needed the mirror even after live view became available.

Tks

Major Contributor
Every Canon DSLR before the 1D Mark III (2007). Nikon might have had the capability earlier.

Auto-focus and light metering also needed the mirror even after live view became available.
Oh I thought you were also referring to mirror-less systems of high mega pixel count today of some sort.

MarcT

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I don't know how to control depth of field on my Android Galaxy smart phone, but I admit I haven't really tried to study that out. And it is several years old now. But it does take nice snap shots.

mansr

Major Contributor
I don't know how to control depth of field on my Android Galaxy smart phone, but I admit I haven't really tried to study that out. And it is several years old now. But it does take nice snap shots.
It can't be done. The lens has a fixed aperture. Software can sometimes produce a convincing fake background blur.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It can't be done. The lens has a fixed aperture. Software can sometimes produce a convincing fake background blur.
Lots of phones now have multiple cameras and sensors. I wouldn't rule out you might take two or more shots together and use dsp to create a realistic bokeh.

mansr

Major Contributor
Lots of phones now have multiple cameras and sensors. I wouldn't rule out you might take two or more shots together and use dsp to create a realistic bokeh.
My phone (Pixel 5) has two cameras, normal and wide-angle. The apertures are different, but so are the focal lengths, and I haven't worked out how the resultant depths of field compare. They're both pretty deep. The two sensors do together provide some depth information that could be used to aid an artificial blurring process. Even then, it won't be perfect. For instance, a very thin object in the plane of focus in front of a more distant background can easily be missed and blurred in error.

Phone cameras have come a long way, but they are still not putting up much of a challenge against bigger glass outside of casual snapshots.

KellenVancouver

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Since beyond 16-26 MP the lens generally becomes more important than the sensor, I don't see phones competing with high-end equipment. That said, I'm glad that phones are expanding camera use because it presents more opportunity for people to get "hooked" and delve into photography as something other than mere leisure opportunism. People who actually care about how their photographs look are akin to audiophiles who care about the sound of music, so it seems there will always be an associated market niche.

jbattman1016

I mean, the camcorder industry is gone thanks to smartphones, but we still sell professional video cameras. This is how the camera industry will likely remain till we can start attaching our current lenses to cell phones.

Reactions: EJ3
Top Bottom