• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Singxer SA-1 Review (Balanced Headphone Amp)

Roland68

Major Contributor
You seem to be right on the pictures, had not spotted the V2.0 on the PCB.

Your arguments about relays make no sense. Relays do not influence signals (other than either passing them, or not) and do not require to extend traces of signals they switch.

…which is a case in point.
That's your opinion, and I have another.
If for you additional relays in the feedback for gain switching in a low-noise small signal amplification have the same value as the relays in a volume control, then that's ok.
It would bother me, as would the additional conductor tracks for switching the relays in 4 separate amplifier circuits.
But everyone can have their own opinion and preferences and buy the devices that suit them.

roderickvd

We are on ASR here, not on Head-Fi. If you claim that relays with control traces impact audio quality compared to DIP switches, assuming equally good level of engineering, please provide evidence to back that up. I would be genuinely interested to see that. On the contrary, when it’s opinion or feeling, then let’s keep it that and not call it a fact.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I switched my Gear around to separate my Streaming rig and Turntable.

The Singxer SA-1 is now connected with RCA to my Technics SL1500C . What a nice combo. :) with Aeon Noire. No EQ nothing.

Sounds great. Glad i purchased it when I joined ASR and it’s still a beast.

Wish Singxer had a nice Phono preamp Headphone amp combo.

ishmeister

I just got an SMSL DO100 DAC. it's connected via XLR to the SA-1. I notice a pop sound before audio plays when using the single ended output but not the 4.4mm balanced. Any ideas why?

Yoda896

I really love how the SA-1 sounds with the HD800s, but I was always a little bit underwhelmed by the 11 db gain of the SA-1.
So I started to play around with amp-stacking with a second super transparent and clean amp (the A70Pro).
I liked the stack Ares II -> A70Pro -> SA-1 -> HD800s, but I feared that I will accidentally break the SA-1 by too high voltage coming from the A70Pro.
So I changed to Ares II -> SA-1 -> A70Pro -> HD800s, which seems to work perfectly fine and the additional 20 db of the A70Pro come in handy ;-)

Any thoughts on whether it make a difference, if I use the SA-1 as a preamp or the A70Pro?
Does the SA-1 stay in class a mode as a preamp?

Roland68

Major Contributor
I really love how the SA-1 sounds with the HD800s, but I was always a little bit underwhelmed by the 11 db gain of the SA-1.
So I started to play around with amp-stacking with a second super transparent and clean amp (the A70Pro).
I liked the stack Ares II -> A70Pro -> SA-1 -> HD800s, but I feared that I will accidentally break the SA-1 by too high voltage coming from the A70Pro.
So I changed to Ares II -> SA-1 -> A70Pro -> HD800s, which seems to work perfectly fine and the additional 20 db of the A70Pro come in handy ;-)

Any thoughts on whether it make a difference, if I use the SA-1 as a preamp or the A70Pro?
Does the SA-1 stay in class a mode as a preamp?
Is the volume of the SA-1 on high gain directly on the Ares with the HD 800 not enough for you?
Do you really turn the volume control all the way up?

ishmeister

I just got an SMSL DO100 DAC. it's connected via XLR to the SA-1. I notice a pop sound before audio plays when using the single ended output but not the 4.4mm balanced. Any ideas why?
More details:
XLR -> 4.4mm = no pops
XLR -> 6.35mm = pops
RCA -> 6.35mm = no pops
RCA -> 4.4mm = no pops

Is it not generally a good idea to use XLR -> 6.35mm? What could be the cause of the pop?

It seems the DAC goes to sleep internally when there is no audio and I assume the pop is related to that sleep/wakeup change, but I'm curious as to why it is only occurring on one configuration.

Roland68

Major Contributor
More details:
XLR -> 4.4mm = no pops
XLR -> 6.35mm = pops
RCA -> 6.35mm = no pops
RCA -> 4.4mm = no pops

Is it not generally a good idea to use XLR -> 6.35mm? What could be the cause of the pop?

It seems the DAC goes to sleep internally when there is no audio and I assume the pop is related to that sleep/wakeup change, but I'm curious as to why it is only occurring on one configuration.
The device doesn't care about the input to output combinations as long as the inputs are selected correctly.
Did you always select the correct input for XLR and RCA on the front of the device?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
More details:
XLR -> 4.4mm = no pops
XLR -> 6.35mm = pops
RCA -> 6.35mm = no pops
RCA -> 4.4mm = no pops

I used XLR from 2 of my dacs (Cambridge CXN V2, SMSL D300) to XLR headphone out. Never had a issue with Pops at all.

Same goes for the RCA inputs from either a DAC or Phono amp into the singxer to its XLR headphone out. I never noticed the SA1 going to sleep. That’s usually something the USB driver would do with your DAC

ishmeister

The device doesn't care about the input to output combinations as long as the inputs are selected correctly.
Did you always select the correct input for XLR and RCA on the front of the device?
My DAC has both RCA and XLR outputs and I have both connected to the SA-1 and can switch between them at the front of the unit. I'm sure it's the DAC that's popping as this is my second DO100 and the first didn't have this issue but it failed after 11 months, so the current one I have is a warranty replacement.

I think it is the DAC sleep/wakeup cycle that causes the pops, I'm just curious as to why they are not audible on the balanced HP output or when fully single ended (RCA -> 6.35mm SE). The pops only occur when going from XLR to SE.

Is the pop a brief spike in DC? I thought this amp was supposed to protect againt that sort of thing.

Roland68

Major Contributor
My DAC has both RCA and XLR outputs and I have both connected to the SA-1 and can switch between them at the front of the unit. I'm sure it's the DAC that's popping as this is my second DO100 and the first didn't have this issue but it failed after 11 months, so the current one I have is a warranty replacement.

I think it is the DAC sleep/wakeup cycle that causes the pops, I'm just curious as to why they are not audible on the balanced HP output or when fully single ended (RCA -> 6.35mm SE). The pops only occur when going from XLR to SE.

Is the pop a brief spike in DC? I thought this amp was supposed to protect againt that sort of thing.
I don't know the behavior of my SA-1, not even in conjunction with one of my DACs.
It could just be a popping noise when switching. e.g. due to slight differences in charge.
Does this happen even if you don't have a DAC connected?

Snoopy

Major Contributor
I don't know the behavior of my SA-1, not even in conjunction with one of my DACs.
It could just be a popping noise when switching. e.g. due to slight differences in charge.

Maybe when it’s going from Class A to AB and impedance missmatch with traditional headphones?
(I use planar headphones)

ishmeister

Maybe when it’s going from Class A to AB and impedance missmatch with traditional headphones?
(I use planar headphones)
It happens both with planar (LCD-X) and dynamic (HD600) when using XLR in->SE out. I have a balanced cable for the LCD-X but the HD600 I have to use RCA->SE out otherwise it pops. That means having both XLR and RCA outputs of my DAC connected to the SA-1.

It's not a big deal really, just mildly annoying. I was mainly just curious if anyone else has experienced this issue.

urfaust

I got the V2 a few days ago from audiophonics. From what i remember reading somewhere it is supposed to fix the impedance dependency at high level. V2 sounds very good but that's not a measurement, i would be very curious to see it retested.

Visually, no difference afaik, besides the V2 print at the back.

Extreme_Boky

It seems the voltage rails are now decoupled right before the power supply current hits the output transistors. However, this improvement arrived when they moved from V1.0 to V1.3

Also, the audio path seems shorter, at the amplifier output side... this is a definitive difference between V1.3 and V2.0. This would influence the output impedance.

Gold-plated headphone jacks... but this arrived with V1.3 already.

They may have changed the PCB trace layout as well. I'd need to see the PCB underside to comment.

1708504544397.png

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask a question about the sa1 and Hart cables, but here goes
I own a Singxer SA1.
I use Hart Audio cables.

Can I have both 4 pin XLR balanced AND 4.4 balanced dongles with headphone connected to just one of them at a time? ( in addition, what about all 3 dongles including the SE dongle too)?
Again only one headphone connected at a time.
Any issues in doing this?
Does the insertion of the dongle engage something?
Thanks in advance for a reply

urfaust

I apologize if this is the wrong place to ask a question about the sa1 and Hart cables, but here goes
I own a Singxer SA1.
I use Hart Audio cables.

Can I have both 4 pin XLR balanced AND 4.4 balanced dongles with headphone connected to just one of them at a time? ( in addition, what about all 3 dongles including the SE dongle too)?
Again only one headphone connected at a time.
Any issues in doing this?
Does the insertion of the dongle engage something?
Thanks in advance for a reply

What do you mean by dongles?

I have an XLR to 4.4mm adaptor always on and it isn't doing anything when using other outputs. I think this is only when you put an actual load on, but others can chime in about that.

What do you mean by dongles?

I have an XLR to 4.4mm adaptor always on and it isn't doing anything when using other outputs. I think this is only when you put an actual load on, but others can chime in about that.
Sorry about the dongle word usage, but, Hart cable system has a set of different short connectors (adapters) each with different terminations ( 4 PIN XLR,
4.4 balanced, 6.3 SE, et ) you then connect to these short connectors with Headphone cable. So you don't have to purchase more expensive full cable set. ( if interested in better description check out their website
www.hartaudiocables.com)
So I'm wondering if I can leave these adapters plugged in without hooking up the headphones.
The Singxer has 4.4 bal, 6.3SE, 4 pin xlr.

Top Bottom