• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Silent Angel Bonn N8 Audio Grade Ethernet Switch

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
sure. but you can extend that logic to "some dacs depend on network more than others".

it's a bit like religion.
I get your thinking on this. But you only have so many minutes to live. The odds of anything even being possible given how ethernet works, I'd just say life is too short. Amir has shown enough. If someone insists otherwise, they need to show their proof and with what gear.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
He posted that video on April 1st,
so it may be an april fool's joke, I mean: turning their audiophile nonsense into nonsense (double negation) gives something that makes sense (but not for them, they might see it as nonsense)...

Too many layers of deception. *head hurts*

Epimenides would be proud :)

I've noticed a bevy of (from my perspective) alternative facts in Mr. (Dr.?) McGowan's myriad videos, FWIW.

wwenze

Major Contributor
We are dealing with a group that thinks putting equipment/cables higher/lower has an effect. Try proving to them that doesn't have an effect first, then we can challenge TCP/IP.

i-can-haz-baseball-1.png

RigorDude

We are dealing with a group that thinks putting equipment/cables higher/lower has an effect. Try proving to them that doesn't have an effect first, then we can challenge TCP/IP.

i-can-haz-baseball-1.png
I'm not at persuaded by the argument here, but I find the artwork utterly compelling. Can't put my on why that is, however.

AudioTodd

I think I can beat their price for snake oil at the very least. Look for it soon... placeboaudio.com ;) I'm thinking less along the lines of cables and more on the lines of billet casings, racks, etc. although maybe even a switch as well... with a nice automotive paint finish available in custom colors.
I will buy the whole line so long as everything is anchored with space-grade-ceramic tipped rhodium plated full nonferrous clad depleted uranium hammer forged precision machined (to beyond aerospace tolerances) anti-resonant spiritually enhanced golden ratio pyramid inspired cryogenically treated spikes. You name the price!!

Xulonn

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Totally off topic, but I Googled "Silent Angel" just for fun, and stumbled upon the story of Elder Dobri Dobrev, a Bulgarian beggar known as "the most humble man in the world." His story is fascinating, and he recently died at the age of 103. HERE is a link to his story, and I just downloaded the documentary about his life - "The Silent Angel - A True Story" - and will watch it tomorrow evening. Dobri Dobrev is currently high on my list of most admired people in the world, and my new avatar is a photograph of him to honor his legacy. (And may I be so fortunate as to have such a beautiful woman available to assist me in moving about when I reach the age of 103!)

Dobre Dobrev.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Well obviously there's no difference that can be noticed because the ethernet cable is not audiophile grade.
Actually, I forgot to mention that a very fancy Ethernet cable came with the unit which I used for testing it!

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm curious about the level of interest in such measurements.

The results are known in advance. The effort to make the measurements and write the report is significant. What's the ROI? What's the pay off that justifies the effort?

Koeitje

Major Contributor

The results are known in advance. The effort to make the measurements and write the report is significant. What's the ROI? What's the pay off that justifies the effort?
Its good to keep discrediting audiofoolery. And if only one is tested the argument would always be: 'yeah, but that one was broken! Mine works!".

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I am of 2 minds regarding this .. On one side we know these things cannot make one iota of a difference. OTOH it is good to regularly remind some that they don't ... :)
But there is a resource factor associated to this. It takes time and energy to conduct tests ... I would have preferred to see tests of items of significance, those that can make a difference in one's system , speakers, crossovers multiple output DACs , etc ... Good Pre/Pro or AVR ... More speakers tests ... Subwoofers ... Headphones?

D

Deleted member 9286

I get your thinking on this. But you only have so many minutes to live. The odds of anything even being possible given how ethernet works, I'd just say life is too short. Amir has shown enough. If someone insists otherwise, they need to show their proof and with what gear.

I don’t think anyone disagrees with this. And of course Amir can test what he likes, when he likes. The point a few of us have just tried to make is that if we’re going to go to the effort of testing items such as this (which do nothing), we might as well demonstrate conclusively that they make no difference, in any situation, as they don’t even do anything with the most basic of equipment. The mindset of the target audience will easily talk themselves around these measurements, by claiming that the Matrix does not need any help in this department. Also sadly there are plenty of users out there that will happily put their money in all the wrong places. Spend 10 minutes on headfi and check out some of the systems in people’s signatures.....actually don’t, as you rightly say, life is too short!

mansr

Major Contributor
Is there a difference regarding their non existence?
"Everyone knows that dragons don’t exist. But while this simplistic formulation may satisfy the layman, it does not suffice for the scientific mind. The School of Higher Neantical Nillity is in fact wholly unconcerned with what does exist. Indeed, the banality of existence has been so amply demonstrated, there is no need for us to discuss it any further here. The brilliant Cerebron, attacking the problem analytically, discovered three distinct kinds of dragon: the mythical, the chimerical, and the purely hypothetical. They were all, one might say, nonexistent, but each non-existed in an entirely different way." ― Stanisław Lem, The Cyberiad

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Its good to keep discrediting audiofoolery. And if only one is tested the argument would always be: 'yeah, but that one was broken! Mine works!".
I think we can divide those who can be taught from those who don't want to be taught. Those in the latter group choose to spend their money on these silly gadgets they claim to derive value from them. Let them and don't waste your time on them.

And for those that are open to learning, I think there is no value in rehashing measurements and explanations over and over. If we already have a textbook on some topic that's broadly accepted as definitive then it kinda looks like you don't believe it if you keep double checking its science.

Top Bottom