• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Silent Angel Bonn N8 Audio Grade Ethernet Switch

maltux

Maybe I should invent a coffee
coffeecup.png

cup that would make my stereo sound better.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Dell Powerconnect 2824 24 port Gigabit managed switch in the attic above my bedroom. The switch introduced easily audible noise into my bedroom system, even my wife complained about it!

So I ripped out the screaming Delta fan, cut away the fan grill stamped in the case and installed a lovely little Noctua fan. Result: no more noise! Total cost: £12.72 and 30 minutes of my time.

Offensive screaming Delta fan...

IMG_20190318_195405 (Phone).jpg

Note: The 16 port version of this switch is fanless and goes for £50+ on eBay. I paid £38 for the 24 port version with it's noisy fan.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This was reviewed and praised by Hans Beekhuyzun of course. Shameful be thy name.
Hey he has an oscilloscope in his videos and is unusually sensitive to 'time smearing' take that back

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Dell Powerconnect 2824 24 port Gigabit managed switch in the attic above my bedroom. The switch introduced easily audible noise into my bedroom system, even my wife complained about it!

So I ripped out the screaming Delta fan, cut away the fan grill stamped in the case and installed a lovely little Noctua fan. Result: no more noise! Total cost: £12.72 and 30 minutes of my time.

Offensive screaming Delta fan...

View attachment 56983

Note: The 16 port version of this switch is fanless and goes for £50+ on eBay. I paid £38 for the 24 port version with it's noisy fan.

I replaced the fan in a behringer pro amp with a noctua. Almost silent at full tilt, very impressive engineering on those.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Sorry if what I said triggered a witchhunt (or am I flattering myself), but the external appearance does not always reflect the internal.

For example, putting a big TCXO on a separate board is never done in normal switches. A TCXO... on a separate board... I'm hoping there are small-value capacitors on the other side of the board, too. Giving the benefit of doubt.

Next, ethernet switches are usually terminated with ICs or transformers (multi-transformer packages)
https://cdn.mos.cms.futurecdn.net/y37LWSbKDos7AvSqSEN9xi-650-80.jpg
https://www.insidegadgets.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/IMG_3383.jpg

so something like the Silent Angel is... different. Might be many individual transformer packages.

So at the very least, I dare to say it is at least built differently on the inside.

1585923391617.png

They give you some pics. The main pic is a bog standard board with FCC sticker. If I could get a clear shot of that sticker the FCC has a lookup tool.

The Re-engineered portion is the extra PCB with the clock crystal on it.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Meanwell PS probably costs more than the switch.

Having just ordered 200 Meanwell 48v 1.25 amp supplies, they were $12 per and the IEC cord was $1.20.

The Meanwell they are using is most likely ~$9.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't own any other streamer other than piecing together some kind of Raspberry Pi.

I can send you a Raspberry Pi running Ropieee. Just let me know what static IP you want me to put on in.

Jinjuku

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's a gem I didn't know about. A $30 fully managed switch.

1585924131962.png

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
My comment was not, of course, related to this product or thread and would not include products like this one as contributing to optimization. My experience with an Aqvox AQ-Switch-SE audiophile network switch indicated that it no audible effect either.
No, but your point was well taken in a generic way, sir!
:)

Labjr

Major Contributor
I stopped watching to Beekhuyzun years ago, which was about a month after I stared watching him. He has all that equipment stacked in one corner of the room behind him to make himself look smart but last time I checked, the reels on his tape deck in the background didn't move for six months.

Berwhale

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

soekris

Hi Amir: Next of things to test, Those Audiophile Rated Fuses.... Or maybe those exotic Power Cables. All being promoted while ignoring the effects of the cabling from the Wall Outlet all the way back to the Power Station....

bidn

I have similar TP-Link web manageable switches (in addition to the Powerconnect in the attic)...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/TL-SG108E-Unmanaged-Ethernet-Lifetime-Warranty/dp/B00K4DS5KU

I am unsure why TP-Link sell these branded as "Unmanged", when they support stuff like VLANs, port mirroring and LAG. Anyway, they work well.

I have the same which I ordered from amazon.de.
there they don't call it "unmanaged", maybe that was a mistake by amazon.co.uk ?

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00JKB63D8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

bidn

Hi Amir: Next of things to test, Those Audiophile Rated Fuses.... Or maybe those exotic Power Cables. All being promoted while ignoring the effects of the cabling from the Wall Outlet all the way back to the Power Station....

I agree,
I find that the more something is snake oil and the crazier its claims, the more fun there is to testing it and commenting about it...

Last edited:

Tks

Major Contributor
$400...???

This has to be a product older than most. Ethernet switches causing improvements have been detested by every single networks engineer on the planet..

Top Bottom