• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Sigberg Audio Saranna (fullrange, cardioid active floorstander) development thread

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
It has to be a name you can repeat to customers without feeling a fool.
Anything associated with King Arthur is out.
Keith

Absolute

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What aboot SigbergAudio Cardioide Tower? No explanation needed and everytime someone types cardioide in Google, this speaker will pop up. And reviewers will love it because they can just shorten it to the CT.

Yes. I have spoken.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Nakatomi Tower for Bruce Willis fans ( are there any).
Keith

dualazmak

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Your country Norway has countless beautiful fjords, mountains, cities, villages and lakes. From among these names, why not choose a proper noun (of IPR free) or a neologism with a Norwegian ending that evokes the beauty and tranquility of Nordic Scandinavia?

At least to me, endings like -----VIK, -----DAL, -----HEIM, ---BERG, and -----FJORD evoke a beautiful and pure Norwegian atmosphere.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Excellent to see that you are making a full range speaker. Will it be more expensive than Manta with 2 10D? Around 20k euros there are much bigger speakers out there like this Ascendo Live 15 .

No, I do not expect it will be more expensive than Manta + 2 10D.

EDIT: Price vs size, not sure if that is a reasonable comparison. You can find passive 2-way bookshelf speakers at way more than 20k euros too, so it's not like price always follow size. :)

unknownuser

No, I do not expect it will be more expensive than Manta + 2 10D.

EDIT: Price vs size, not sure if that is a reasonable comparison. You can find passive 2-way bookshelf speakers at way more than 20k euros too, so it's not like price always follow size. :)
Great to hear, it will be very competitive. cardioid speakers are underrated, I wish that more companies would do these.

I was mentioning the size because you mentioned earlier that bigger/more woofers would increase costs but you’re right, I didn’t mean to offend you :)

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Great to hear, it will be very competitive. cardioid speakers are underrated, I wish that more companies would do these.

I was mentioning the size because you mentioned earlier that bigger/more woofers would increase costs but you’re right, I didn’t mean to offend you :)

No offense taken. I can of course have more woofers and actually reduce cost, by simply switching to an 8" like for instance this:
1702671719645.png

Rather than the current 8" that looks like this:
index.php

All drivers aren't created equal even though the size looks to be the same. :)

unknownuser

No offense taken. I can of course have more woofers and actually reduce cost, by simply switching to an 8" like for instance this:
View attachment 334603

Rather than the current 8" that looks like this:
index.php

All drivers aren't created equal even though the size looks to be the same. :)
Nah, build the speaker by your standards. If it will be slightly cheaper than the Mantas with 2 10Ds then we have a winner :)

Which pre-amp or player do you use for source/volume control other than this Topping? Do you test with multiple options?

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Nah, build the speaker by your standards. If it will be slightly cheaper than the Mantas with 2 10Ds then we have a winner :)

Which pre-amp or player do you use for source/volume control other than this Topping? Do you test with multiple options?

I have and have had various sources.

Currently I have the Topping E70 Velvet in one setup, a DSPeaker Antimode X4 preamp in a second setup, and the Eversolo DMP-A6 streamer in a third setup.

OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
So how do they sound?

This question needs to be answered again when the new coax arrives, and will of course evolve throughout development. But I can at least comment on the low end, which is deep and tight. You'd be forgiven for craning your neck and looking for the sub when listening to how this is currently tuned.

After a few days of experimentation, the midbass is also relatively punchy and full, and I aim for this to improve further with the new 8" coax, that will be crossed over relatively low in order to contribute in the lower midrange as well (and also drive the cardioid effect as low as possible). Overall it sounds really good at moderate levels, and when you turn it up it's fair to assume that it would get people dancing at a party in a relatively large space.

The mids and highs are very similar sounding to both the SBS.1 and the Manta, not surprisingly since the driver is the same. So that will be interesting to revisit with the new driver. Open and transparent while not being fatiguing, and with a soundstage that is large and wide across genres, another very pleasing feature found on both siblings, but the Manta especially.

Overall very promising so far!

Last edited:
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A bit quiet here, waiting for the new coax. When those arrive, new prototypes will be built. They will likely be built with a combination of natural colored and black MDF to get an impression of the two-tone look as well.

The coax is an 8" consisting of a midbass/midrange paper cone and 1.7" polymide compression driver, and will ensure plenty of power and punch in the lower midrange / upper bass down to where the bass drivers take over.

Z005209P-3.jpg

Last edited:
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
A project name is finally in place as well:

1705081277575.png

Last edited:
OP
sigbergaudio

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
New prototype iteration in the works, hope to have it done somewhat soonish. More to follow. :)

1707469443206-png.993984

Top Bottom