• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd probably be almost as anxious waiting that long as when I was waiting to turn 16 and get a driving license.
I have had quite a few “can’t be bothered” thoughts and considered cancelling but cars are in such short supply I have stuck with it.

It is the best car I have ever driven

I did organise another test drive a couple of weeks ago to be sure I wanted to go ahead. The demo car had sports seats which are incompatible with the width of my backside but otherwise just as convincing.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I have had quite a few “can’t be bothered” thoughts and considered cancelling but cars are in such short supply I have stuck with it.

It is the best car I have ever driven

I did organise another test drive a couple of weeks ago to be sure I wanted to go ahead. The demo car had sports seats which are incompatible with the width of my backside but otherwise just as convincing.
Sounds like a pretty special car then. Share it with us when you get your hands on it.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish Porsche made a smaller sedan EV or SUV. Now their only reasonably sized cars are the Boxster and Cayman, and nothing qualifies as small. The Taycan is immense.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish Porsche made a smaller sedan EV or SUV. Now their only reasonably sized cars are the Boxster and Cayman, and nothing qualifies as small. The Taycan is immense.
Indeed though most “cars“ are as big as delivery vans these days.
I fear the problem with a small EV car would be space for the batteries and their impact protection. Most of them are SUVs because then height isn’t a problem but all the ones with a big battery are about the size of a Range Rover, as the Taycan is - apart from height.
They don’t even make the normal width 911 any more, wide body is now standard :(

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
My BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe, stylish, practical and economical. Usually change every three years, unless the new electric version is much better, likely to be a keeper.
AA7445F9-F70D-4467-B7C8-095C85466D3C.jpeg

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wife is pushing me to get a Panamera in lieu of the small and sensible Subaru (not a WRX) on which I made a deposit. Reliability reports on the Panamera here in the U.S. frighten me.

I keep wondering why Europeans seem to regard German cars as reliable, while here in America they are widely viewed as "bottomless money pits," as said by one commentator.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Wife is pushing me to get a Panamera in lieu of the small and sensible Subaru (not a WRX) on which I made a deposit. Reliability reports on the Panamera here in the U.S. frighten me.

I keep wondering why Europeans seem to regard German cars as reliable, while here in America they are widely viewed as "bottomless money pits," as said by one commentator.
My last four cars have been BMWs, the only fault Iv’e had so far were rear parking sensors failing a few years back. The advantages for me are reasonable service costs and cheap extended warranty charges. Had a Mercedes before the beemers and the servicing charges were eye watering.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
You buy high end items, expect high end service costs.
Such is the way of life.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
This pattern does not hold for Lexuses. Would just buy another of those, but the wait is ludicrous.
Had a Lexus not too impressed, after less than a year rust appeared on the roof. As it happened the main dealer had left the UK Port landing documents in the car. Landed at Harwich a few months after the dealer had registered in the UK. Looks as if the car was at sea for longer than they expected. Deck cargo? They took it back treated and sprayed the roof, didn’t like the way it drove so it didn’t stay too long.

Plcamp

Addicted to Fun and Learning
464C420F-2DD6-4B5F-A48E-7DF1343CEEEF.jpeg
I loved this one, recently donated to Canadian Cancer Society…great car.

Weirdest problem was the Bluetooth module failing in a manner that drained battery overnight. Front brakes were atrocious for wear. Maybe that’s just me.

(‘07 Acura TL.)

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Had a Lexus not too impressed, after less than a year rust appeared on the roof. As it happened the main dealer had left the UK Port landing documents in the car. Landed at Harwich a few months after the dealer had registered in the UK. Looks as if the car was at sea for longer than they expected. Deck cargo? They took it back treated and sprayed the roof, didn’t like the way it drove so it didn’t stay too long.
Yes, the Lexus driving (2012 Lexus ES350) modified with KYB gas-adjust struts and a mini-receiver tow hitch set-up, is still no match for my 1982 Chevy Caprice (4.4 Liter V8) with KYB gas adjust shocks. The Caprice corners better, the engine is smoother, the ride is smoother, the ride is better also if pulling the max 2500 lbs. (or 800 lbs. [or even less] that the LEXUS can (I weigh 230 lbs. & my wife 110 lbs., after we put the car cover and about 20 lbs. of luggage that's it, anything more and the handling goes out the window), the fuel economy is a toss-up, & it's only crime is that it accelerates slightly less rapidly. But is also more comfortable than the Lexus (and unless you have 5 people over 200lbs the handling stays good, even when towing 2500 lbs.), especially for my mother (88 years old) body.

Last edited:

Jmudrick

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
My last four cars have been BMWs, the only fault Iv’e had so far were rear parking sensors failing a few years back. The advantages for me are reasonable service costs and cheap extended warranty charges. Had a Mercedes before the beemers and the servicing charges were eye watering.

With a good independent mechanic the service costs on my '99 C230 were fine. My '09 E350 is a lot more complicated but so far so good. I would go to a Mercedes dealership only out of complete desperation.

Attachments

• PXL_20220310_230848864~3-01.jpg
    PXL_20220310_230848864~3-01.jpg
    659.5 KB · Views: 57

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
With a good independent mechanic the service costs on my '99 C230 were fine. My '09 E350 is a lot more complicated but so far so good. I would go to a Mercedes dealership only out of complete desperation.
Yes, I use one independent mechanic that specializes in the brand of car for my 2004 Mercedes E320 and my Lexus ES350. Also, I will recommend that if you find a good mechanic and he/she changes shops that he/she works at, follow the mechanic to their new shop. The mechanic whose work you like is who is doing the mechanic work on your car, not the shop that he/she happens to work at. If he/she changes shops, it is likely you should too.

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed though most “cars“ are as big as delivery vans these days.
I fear the problem with a small EV car would be space for the batteries and their impact protection. Most of them are SUVs because then height isn’t a problem but all the ones with a big battery are about the size of a Range Rover, as the Taycan is - apart from height.
They don’t even make the normal width 911 any more, wide body is now standard :(
The width of the 911 is obnoxious. I get why Porsche does it. They can fit a wider engine and wider tires, raising the performance, bragging rights, and sales. However, it lowers the fun on narrow canyon roads.
My BMW 4 Series Gran Coupe, stylish, practical and economical. Usually change every three years, unless the new electric version is much better, likely to be a keeper.
I have an i4 M50 on order, which shares a platform with the newer 4GC. The only complaint I have is weight. All BMWs are heavy, but the M50 is a lead-laden moose. It's how they make it comfy and stiff. A hatch is mandatory for a car to be useful. I have Ohlins shocks on order for the Model Y. I suppose if those shocks fix the ride and handling issues, I might stay with the MY, but then the i4 suspension is magically good. It's the best ride/handling tradeoff I've ever experienced.

Today I drove the M3 and M4 at the track, plus some other BMWs. It was pretty fun though all at a controlled pace. Anyway, it just made me more certain that an EV is what I want.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
Yes, the Lexus driving (2012 Lexus ES350) modified with KYB gas-adjust struts and a min-receiver tow hitch set-up, is still no match for my 1982 Chevy Caprice (4.4 Liter V8) with KYB gas adjust shocks. The Caprice corners better, the engine is smoother, the ride is smoother, the ride is better also if pulling the max 2500 lb that the LEXUS can, the fuel economy is a toss-up, & it's only crime is that it accelerates slightly less rapidly. But is also more comfortable than the Lexus, especially for my mother (88 years old) body.
They seem to make boulevard cruisers, bit like driving a sofa uninspiring and dull. Know they are well built and reliable, unfortunately dull to drive.

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor
The width of the 911 is obnoxious. I get why Porsche does it. They can fit a wider engine and wider tires, raising the performance, bragging rights, and sales. However, it lowers the fun on narrow canyon roads.

I have an i4 M50 on order, which shares a platform with the newer 4GC. The only complaint I have is weight. All BMWs are heavy, but the M50 is a lead-laden moose. It's how they make it comfy and stiff. A hatch is mandatory for a car to be useful. I have Ohlins shocks on order for the Model Y. I suppose if those shocks fix the ride and handling issues, I might stay with the MY, but then the i4 suspension is magically good. It's the best ride/handling tradeoff I've ever experienced.

Today I drove the M3 and M4 at the track, plus some other BMWs. It was pretty fun though all at a controlled pace. Anyway, it just made me more certain that an EV is what I want.
A BMW EV is certainly on my radar, would love an i4 the only doubt I have unfortunately is age mine not the cars. We took my Sister in Law out yesterday and she was like an escapologist trying to get in and out of the back seat. We are all a bit long in the tooth, still better then the alternative.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Yes, I use one independent mechanic that specializes in the brand of car for my 2004 Mercedes E320 and my Lexus ES350. Also, I will recommend that if you find a good mechanic and he/she changes shops that he/she works at, follow the mechanic to their new shop. The mechanic whose work you like is who is doing the mechanic work on your car, not the shop that he/she happens to work at. If he/she changes shops, it is likely you should too.

Gotta agree with that. I've had one guy at a specialty shop that's kept my 2009 M3 happy, and he's about to retire so I'm going to need to find a new shop. Makes me a bit nervous to be honest, but the new guy will be recommended by the old guy, so it should be ok.

It has been a remarkably trouble free car, and now with a little over 100k miles still feels and drives as it should.

PSX_20200424_201144.jpg

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Gotta agree with that. I've had one guy at a specialty shop that's kept my 2009 M3 happy, and he's about to retire so I'm going to need to find a new shop. Makes me a bit nervous to be honest, but the new guy will be recommended by the old guy, so it should be ok.

It has been a remarkably trouble free car, and now with a little over 100k miles still feels and drives as it should.

View attachment 206785
That's beautiful.
The following is in general to car owners, not to any specific person (and is intended for those who don't already know about these things):
The Owners Manual was not put together as a sales tool. A car is likely the second most expensive item you will own (a home being the first). Taking the time to read the Owners Manual will give you insight on the complicated thing you own and it's maintenance needs. If you usually drive short distances (I'll define that as 20 minutes or less at a time) and there is a severe duty maintenance schedule for your car, follow that (at least for the fluids), because the oil doesn't get warm enough to evaporate the condensation out of it. The condensation, mixed with combustion byproducts form acids in the oil (which you can't see or smell) which filters can NOT remove. These acids then attack the internal parts of your engine. So short trips, low annual miles driven can be much worse than a normal or even high mile for it's model year car.
If you don't drive enough to change the oil by miles annually, change the oil annually anyway. And cut in half the distance for the trans fluid and any other lubricating fluids.
As to anti-freeze, remember that it functions with radiator pressure to keep the car from overheating, too. The dye is the best substance in anti-freeze. That it still looks good only indicates that there MAY NOT be a major problem with the cooling system YET. Change the anti-freeze according to schedule, whether it looks like it needs it or not.
If you bought a car used and it does not have an owners manual, get one or download one.
Peace.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
That's beautiful

Thank you.

If you bought a car used and it does not have an owners manual, get one or download one.
Peace.

198413946_10160035507467345_5389627618592322894_n.png

I may have found this here, but seemed appropriate.

It seems the days of actually expecting a driver to have a fundamental understanding of and a sense of mechanical empathy with the car are gone.

Top Bottom