• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your Cars

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
In the Netherlands these Tesla's are former leased company fleet cars that are now hitting the used car market in pretty large numbers. Since maintenance costs are pretty low on EVs they seem an attractive proposition for specialized lease companies. They come in different grades, from near mint to signs of use and some scratches etc. The prices I quoted are for the latter category, since I don't care, and include insurance and road tax. We live in a (large) detached house, with our own driveway and hence we can easily charge the car. The heat pump required an upgrade to our electrical connection, so we can now also charge on site, and in Summer from our own solar panels (in Winter it will be from the grid, of course). Fortunately the supply from the grid is also becoming more and more sustainable, with in 2023 about half the country's electricity coming from solar and wind power. Coal in particular is rapidly declining.
My brother and a couple of friends have Tesla cars. I think they will do what you need if your price is good for your purposes. None have had any substantial problems with theirs. Two are from 2018 and one is from 2020. None have over 60 k miles (about 100k km). They've all purchased tires and one had to replace the 12 volt battery.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Not necessarily:
From that link.

Sourcing more affordable parts and labour for crash repairs are key priorities, with “expenses related to collision and damage,” proving to be a particular challenge for EVs, according to Hertz’s SEC filing.

Moral of the story is don't crash them. They are quite expensive to repair from crash damage and parts are a long wait which made them low profit margin as they were out of service while waiting on parts. A big no no for something you make money on from renting as much as possible. For someone to own or lease privately that doesn't much apply. They are quite low maintenance when you are talking maintenance and not damage repair.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Moral of the story is don't crash them.
Great advice, as people crash cars for fun. :p Sorry but selective picking isn't realistic. Also in the end it depends on the mileage used and how the used price market will evolve, I agree though that for people driving few and changing cars often they can be a good choice.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
EVs are cheap in maintenance as long as nothing breaks. If/when that happens, the chance that it's going to be more expensive is quite a bit higher than for an ICE car.

Willem

Major Contributor
Moral of the story is don't crash them
I would be an attractive customer: I have never crashed or even slightly damaged a car, or had a ticket. I saw some European data that suggest that such powerful EVs are accident prone in the hands of inexperienced drivers, but that accidents come down once drivers are more used to them. I certainly remember that when I had moved to North Carolina and acquired a second hand Dodge Diplomat with a V8 engine, the engine torque was quite surprising, and demanded some deft handling on my part. Getting all that torque again would certainly be an attraction of an EV. Anyway, maintenance costs would not concern me if I were to lease the car.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I would be an attractive customer: I have never crashed or even slightly damaged a car, or had a ticket. I saw some European data that suggest that such powerful EVs are accident prone in the hands of inexperienced drivers, but that accidents come down once drivers are more used to them. I certainly remember that when I had moved to North Carolina and acquired a second hand Dodge Diplomat with a V8 engine, the engine torque was quite surprising, and demanded some deft handling on my part. Getting all that torque again would certainly be an attraction of an EV. Anyway, maintenance costs would not concern me if I were to lease the car.
The model 3 Tesla will hit 100 kph in less than half the time that Diplomat would.

Willem

Major Contributor
Indeed, so I would only opt for the least powerful version. I have no ambition to beat a Ferrari or whatever.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed, so I would only opt for the least powerful version. I have no ambition to beat a Ferrari or whatever.
My comments are about the least powerful versions. I think that contributed to excess crashes as rentals. The most powerful Diplomat would do 0 to 100 kph in around 12 seconds. The basic Tesla in about 5 to 5.2 seconds. Now they do this smoothly and are not scary to drive. You never need drive it that way. Not hard to imagine lots of rental customers wanting to try that out causing extra crashes.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My experience people take care of leased cars and abuse rental and company cars. A leased Tesla at good price is probably a safe bet especially as one owner car.

wunderkind

Alot of crashed Teslas are due to them trying to meet the time to deliver food for Uber Eats or Skip the Dishes. You know if you missed it, you eat it the margin.

Brian Hall

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
car.jpg

BJL

Tesla has a setting "Chill" that throttles down the torque to a civilized level making it easy to drive in local traffic and perfectly acceptable on the highway. On my particular car (a dual motor Y) that means 0-60 mph in about 7 seconds vs. 4.5 seconds in the standard setting, but more to the point, it won't throw your head back against the seat when accelerating from a stop, which your passengers will in particular appreciate. This does not affect the maximum speed of about 145 mph for those suicidal enough to care. I found it very easy to drive after about a week to get used to the semi-automatic braking.

Note that the performance of a Tesla varies depending on whether the battery is warmed up, state of charge, and prevailing conditions. They are (obviously I suppose) higher performance under optimal conditions.

Edit - someone above mentioned that Teslas do not require much maintenance. The "official" maintenance schedule for current (2023-2024) vehicles in the U.S. is rotate tires every 6500 mlles and replace as needed, replace the cabin air filter every 2-4 years, replace the HEPA air filter as needed (maybe never), top off the windshield wiper fluid, and replace the wiper blades as needed. I think that we are supposed to check the friction brake pads occasionally, but they are little used and should not require replacement. And that is all. Very nice!

Last edited:

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Tesla has a setting "Chill" that throttles down the torque to a civilized level making it easy to drive in local traffic and perfectly acceptable on the highway. On my particular car (a dual motor Y) that means 0-60 mph in about 7 seconds vs. 4.5 seconds in the standard setting, but more to the point, it won't throw your head back against the seat when accelerating from a stop, which your passengers will in particular appreciate. This does not affect the maximum speed of about 145 mph for those suicidal enough to care. I found it very easy to drive after about a week to get used to the semi-automatic braking.

Note that the performance of a Tesla varies depending on whether the battery is warmed up, state of charge, and prevailing conditions. They are (obviously I suppose) higher performance under optimal conditions.

Edit - someone above mentioned that Teslas do not require much maintenance. The "official" maintenance schedule for current (2023-2024) vehicles in the U.S. is rotate tires every 6500 mlles and replace as needed, replace the cabin air filter every 2-4 years, replace the HEPA air filter as needed (maybe never), top off the windshield wiper fluid, and replace the wiper blades as needed. I think that we are supposed to check the friction brake pads occasionally, but they are little used and should not require replacement. And that is all. Very nice!
You'll need to replace the 12 volt battery every few years. Normally the car will tell it is needed well before it goes out. Now that cabin air filter a bit difficult/bothersome to replace not beyond doing, but it could have been easier.

BJL

You'll need to replace the 12 volt battery every few years. Normally the car will tell it is needed well before it goes out. Now that cabin air filter a bit difficult/bothersome to replace not beyond doing, but it could have been easier.
It's not a 12 volt battery any longer. It is a 16 volt Lithium Ion battery. If I have to replace it, so be it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts the life of the car.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's not a 12 volt battery any longer. It is a 16 volt Lithium Ion battery. If I have to replace it, so be it, but I wouldn't be surprised if it lasts the life of the car.
Yes, but as Willem is talking about leasing a 2nd hand one it may still have the 12 volt version. The change to 16 volt was in 2022.

Willem

Major Contributor
The most powerful Diplomat would do 0 to 100 kph in around 12 seconds
Our 2 litre Peugeot 406 is faster than the Diplomat, and handles far better. What I liked about the V8 in the Diplomat was the smooth feeling of the torque, and I expect any EV to replicate that, and more. As for maintenance, that would be free when I lease the car, but equally from what I read here it does not involve much. A brief trip to the service centre once a year would do it, I guess.
Anyway, the option of car free living is still on the table as well.

madrac

Not necessarily:
And hope you don’t need to replace the batteries as that is quite expensive.

And are EV vehicles truly better for the environment when you consider the additional electricity generation needed plus the amount of emissions from mining operations to get the materials needed. I don’t recall the exact figure but seem to remember it’s like the emissions of 500 ICE vehicles to mine the materials for 1 EV

Willem

Major Contributor
I don't know about emissions from mining, but I do know that Dutch electricity production is now about 50% from wind and solar, and this is only going up. EVs are a useful part of the mix because they can at least in part be charged when electricity supply is abundant. As I think I wrote, we just got a heat pump for heating and hot tap water in our home, so we have disconnected from the natural gas network. Even so, our solar panels still produce a surplus at some times of the day and at some periods of the year, so it would be useful to charge an EV as much as possible at such times.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
And hope you don’t need to replace the batteries as that is quite expensive.

And are EV vehicles truly better for the environment when you consider the additional electricity generation needed plus the amount of emissions from mining operations to get the materials needed. I don’t recall the exact figure but seem to remember it’s like the emissions of 500 ICE vehicles to mine the materials for 1 EV
Misinformation. Yes overall EV'S are cleaner. If someone pushes the idea on you they aren't you should not trust them.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes overall EV'S are cleaner.
Generalised like is this it is not correct, according to several studies it depends on the usage, source of electricity and observed system limits. For many users its rather a comfortable way of green washing their lower (often partially subsidised) costs and new toy syndrome like many other things which are in fashion today.

Top Bottom