• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Show us your bicycles!

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just tap them with a hammer to set them when new.

Stainless steel usually has to get pretty hot to change its hardness. Getting there with a torch would be pretty imprecise. I doubt this treatment was actually beneficial or worthwhile.

I actually enjoy assembling and trueing wheels, but I have had some frustrations getting the right spoke lengths. I have more NIB spokes than I care to admit.

I am always smashing up wheels because I am 6'4", fat, and ride hard.
More likely, it would anneal the steel, making wheels that don't stay in true.

I have smashed a few wheels, too. But it was the rim that failed, not the spokes, and in every case, I was able to reuse the spokes if I could find a rim with the right spoke-bed diameter. Rims are loaded in bending and compression.

The loads on bicycle wheels are interesting. The tension of the spoke exceeds the compressive loading, and allows the spoke to support a compressive load. The notion that hubs hang from spokes is false--they stand on the spokes near the contact patch. They can do so only if the tension of the spoke is high enough not to give it all up under compressive loading. Pursuant to ASR, tension in spokes serves just about the same purpose as biasing a transistor. The rim itself deflects (changes shape elastically) under loading, but only near the contact patch.

Rick "a good friend of Jobst Brandt back in the day and a former contributor to the Hardcore Bicycle Science group (RIP)" Denney

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since we already have a Show us your cars-thread, and bicycles can be just as much fun geekery, I thought why not start a similar thread?

What bicycles do you have or have you owned in the past?

I have a custom single speed (made by Tony Pereira of Breadwinner Cycles) all steel Columbus bike with Campy Delta brakes because they look so cool - I literally designed the bike so I could put these brakes to use. My other bike is a Bianchi C2C 928 all carbon road bike gathering dust.

But I will be replacing the single speed system with the Rohloff Speedhub and Shimano brakes because I'm getting old! Also, I'm sick of tubulars and will be replacing the wheels while I'm at it!
Screenshot 2021-11-18 145727.png

Last edited:

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a custom single speed (made by Tony Pereira of Breadwinner Cycles) all steel Columbus bike with Campy Delta brakes because they look so cool - I literally designed the bike so I could put these brakes to use. My other bike is a Bianchi C2C 928 all carbon road bike gathering dust.

But I will be replacing the single speed system with the Rohloff Speedhub and Shimano brakes because I'm getting old!View attachment 166496
Yep sexiest road bike brakes ever.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How come all these bikes are so damn clean. Are y'all not riding them? :)
The one on the floor in my pic is filthy, didn't even rinse it off after a somewhat muddy ride on the mountain earlier....

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All my bikes are old, like me:

IMG_6661-dsqz.JPG

(Schwinn Homegrown from the early years. Bought to impress a girlfriend who was an expert-class MTB rider, but usually just caused bruises and loss of blood. Cool bike, though.)

IMG_6643-dsqz.JPG

J. W. Moore custom frame from 1977--the bike I "raced" in college. It's the only bike I restored mostly for looking at, though I could ride it today if I could find my old shoes (and if they fit). I still have the college cycling jersey, and it does still fit. This is a classic 70's--Columbus SP tubing (I weighed 200 pounds in those days; 190 now), Campy NR except for Phil Wood bottom bracket and Dura Ace hubs, Cinelli stem and bars, Ideale saddle, cotton tape, and sew-ups.

IMG_6638-dsqz.JPG

ca. 1999 Habanero time-trial bike, which I rode at Ironman USA in Lake Placid in 2000. Not doing that again.

IMG_6636-dsqz.JPG

Early Trek 5500 OCLV carbon bike, with a Serotta fork that can actually hold me up. Built up for my wife at present, but I wish it would accommodate wider tires.

IMG_6637-dsqz.JPG

Orbit Racing UK track bike, with a road fork to hold a brake so I can ride it on the street.

IMG_6632-dsqz.JPG

My beloved favorite road bike of all time, an Eddy Merckx MX-Leader, in Deutsche Telekom team colors, from 1994 or so. I feel at home on that bike more than any other.

IMG_6631-dsqz.JPG

The all-surface bike I built for my wife, after she saw me riding the bike below with a Saturday morning fun-ride group. (The only kind of group I ride with any more.) It's a late-80's Cannondale touring frame with fattish tires, but the components are a bit more mainstream than the collection of weird stuff I put on the one below.

IMG_6629-dsqz.JPG

Also a late-80's Cannondale touring frame, which I used to use for commuting. I rebuilt it for use on the dirt roads around here. Strange but wonderful collection of stuff on that bike.

Edit: Here I was in 2000 on the Habanero:

end_of_lap1.jpg

Rick "who leans over more than does his wife, apparently" Denney

Last edited:

PierreV

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
(Schwinn Homegrown from the early years. Bought to impress a girlfriend who was an expert-class MTB rider, but usually just caused bruises and loss of blood. Cool bike, though.)
My success rate in jumping above random stuff is much higher than in audio blind tests. But, yes, I bleed more on my bikes :)

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I really believe you that - must have been a real pain without a saddle ... :p
I just knew somebody would mention that.

Actually, the stupid chi-chi Syncros seatpost I had on the Merckx failed on me--thank GOD I noticed the crack before it broke--and I "borrowed" the seatpost from the Habanero. The Habbie is not exactly a ride for Saturday morning fun groups on the rail-trail, but if I don't have to ride on dirt, the Merckx is the only bike I want to be on, and others get scavenged to keep it functional.

Rick "who will eventually get another seatpost for the Habbie" Denney

monkeyboy

IMG_6661-dsqz.JPG

IMG_6643-dsqz.JPG

J. W. Moore custom frame from 1977--the bike I "raced" in college. It's the only bike I restored mostly for looking at, though I could ride it today if I could find my old shoes (and if they fit). I still have the college cycling jersey, and it does still fit. This is a classic 70's--Columbus SP tubing (I weighed 200 pounds in those days; 190 now), Campy NR except for Phil Wood bottom bracket and Dura Ace hubs, Cinelli stem and bars, Ideale saddle, cotton tape, and sew-ups.

IMG_6638-dsqz.JPG

ca. 1999 Habanero time-trial bike, which I rode at Ironman USA in Lake Placid in 2000. Not doing that again.

IMG_6636-dsqz.JPG

Early Trek 5500 OCLV carbon bike, with a Serotta fork that can actually hold me up. Built up for my wife at present, but I wish it would accommodate wider tires.

IMG_6637-dsqz.JPG

Orbit Racing UK track bike, with a road fork to hold a brake so I can ride it on the street.

IMG_6632-dsqz.JPG

My beloved favorite road bike of all time, an Eddy Merckx MX-Leader, in Deutsche Telekom team colors, from 1994 or so. I feel at home on that bike more than any other.

IMG_6631-dsqz.JPG

The all-surface bike I built for my wife, after she saw me riding the bike below with a Saturday morning fun-ride group. (The only kind of group I ride with any more.) It's a late-80's Cannondale touring frame with fattish tires, but the components are a bit more mainstream than the collection of weird stuff I put on the one below.

IMG_6629-dsqz.JPG

Also a late-80's Cannondale touring frame, which I used to use for commuting. I rebuilt it for use on the dirt roads around here. Strange but wonderful collection of stuff on that bike.

end_of_lap1.jpg

I had a Habanero a few years ago...fantastic build quality...I sold it as the frame was a bit too big for me :-(....I regret that now...

Destination: Moon

Like many of you guys I've accumulated a small fleet of bikes over the years.
MTN, Fat Tire, road, electric, analog and folding. Repair and modify them all myself.
My first full sus is pictured below. Owned it since about 1995. Logged a bunch of trail miles on her. Today she's got slicks and serves as my townie - pub bike nowadays but I have a soft spot for her.

Also some shots of my favorite current rides and the speaker that goes with me everywhere I ride. I just got it but it seems better than the UE Roll 2 that I've used till recently. Like the Roll 2 it has a strap that secures it to the bars. Haven't ridden any big descents with it yet but my Roll 2 almost never released even on the biggest downs.

Attachments

• 0530211606~2.jpg
    0530211606~2.jpg
    435.2 KB · Views: 79
  • 20211118_172822.jpg
    20211118_172822.jpg
    365 KB · Views: 81
  • 0401201645~2.jpg
    0401201645~2.jpg
    513.4 KB · Views: 91
  • 0905201312~2.jpg
    0905201312~2.jpg
    701.6 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I had a Habanero a few years ago...fantastic build quality...I sold it as the frame was a bit too big for me :-(....I regret that now...

Mark Hickey is an old acquaintance. He also owns a vintage GMC motorhome like the the bikes were leaning against in my photos.

Rick “noting that getting another Habanero is always an option” Denney

Last edited:

Spocko

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

IMG_6661-dsqz.JPG

IMG_6643-dsqz.JPG

IMG_6638-dsqz.JPG

IMG_6636-dsqz.JPG

IMG_6637-dsqz.JPG

IMG_6632-dsqz.JPG

IMG_6631-dsqz.JPG

IMG_6629-dsqz.JPG

end_of_lap1.jpg

Dude, this is an epic collection. My favorites are definitely the Moore and Eddy - timeless classics!

OP
JaccoW

JaccoW

I received a pair of bikes from one of my parents' friends. Not entirely sure what I will do with them yet but the Gazelle needs the most work.

One is a 1965 Gazelle A, originally a police bike, with a single speed and coaster brake. Very upright and comfortable.
The other a 1988 Koga-Miyata Runner-S road bike. Chromoly frame and a full Shimano Exage sport groupset with Biopace rings.

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Lovely thread! Everybody knows cars go to hell when they die whereas bikes go to heaven, so it's only right that bicycles get their fair share on this forum as well.

I have to say that I'm struck by the number of recumbent riders in this thread. We bent riders are SO rare in the real world, how come there are so many of us here? Is there a strange correlation between being an audio nerd and being a recumbent nerd? Hm.

Anyways, here's my pride and joy, a Lightning P38 recumbent. No other bike has provided me with as much joy.

lightning fra trond.jpg

For daily errands, hauling cargo, and for commuting when I'm too lazy to rely on muscle power during summer and when there's snow during winter, I have a longtail with e-assist, a Benno Boost (no pictures of my own bike right now as I'm travelling, but this looks similar):

IMG_4706_grande.jpg

Currently trying to find a recumbent that will work for gravel grinding while being fast at the same time! Possibly also an upright MTB. One can never have too many bikes.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I also was somewhat surprised by the number of recumbents. Not my flavor of bike, and have seen too many close calls with those being used on roads in more populated areas. The roads where I live now might be okay as those roads have very very few cars on them, but I think I'd just rather have a more traditional road bike in any case....that riding position just doesn't appeal. Never saw a recumbent mountain bike either, don't think that would be a very good idea at all on the trails I ride....

oivavoi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I also was somewhat surprised by the number of recumbents. Not my flavor of bike, and have seen too many close calls with those being used on roads in more populated areas. The roads where I live now might be okay as those roads have very very few cars on them, but I think I'd just rather have a more traditional road bike in any case....that riding position just doesn't appeal. Never saw a recumbent mountain bike either, don't think that would be a very good idea at all on the trails I ride....

Edited the last sentences in my post for clarity :) Most recumbents will certainly not be very functional for mountain biking, even though it has been done. Horses for courses! For trails and uneven surfaces like gravel, hardpacked snow, etc, uprights work better as a general rule. I do think though that recumbents generally are safer, as the head doesn't go first in the case of a fall or a crash, but I certainly see why they may be perceived as less safe. I like all kinds of bikes though. I have been using traditional road bikes for many years, and I will probably keep riding both recumbents and uprights.

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I bought a Trek Domane AL2 a little while ago. It’s not especially interesting but I’m impressed that £850 buys so much bike these days. It has a nice upright position and is nice compromise between stablility on poor surfaces and speed.

Attachments

• domaneal2disc_21_33083_c_primary.jpg
    domaneal2disc_21_33083_c_primary.jpg
    746.2 KB · Views: 66
Top Bottom