• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

should i use 100% volume when connecting to a external speaker

qdwang

Laptop: macbook air
Speaker: iloud micro monitor

I connect them directly though the macbook's headphone jack port.

One myth is that lower the volume though software will decrease the bits of the audio which could decrease the quality of the sound.

So for the best sound quality, should I set the volume to 0db(100%) in macos volume control and only control the volume from the speaker?

Or am i free to use any % of volume in macos?

Thanks~

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
It is possible to cause signal clipping from the source. If you don’t hear any harshness or distortion your probably fine. But to be safe, I always drop the volume of the source one click to just under 100% output volume to avoid signal clipping. This is all dependent on the device’s in use. So my suggestion is just my rule of thumb.

OP
Q

qdwang

Better to send a strong signal to the speakers, so set source (Macbook) to 100% volume.
Or at least close to 100%, in case of noise issue.
It is possible to cause signal clipping from the source. If you don’t hear any harshness or distortion your probably fine. But to be safe, I always drop the volume of the source one click to just under 100% output volume to avoid signal clipping. This is all dependent on the device’s in use. So my suggestion is just my rule of thumb.
Great, thanks. I think I'll use the 70% - 100% volume.

Somafunk

Major Contributor
If you have a few £/$ to spare then a Topping E30 would be an improvement over the MacBook dac although the new M1 MacBook‘s have a good dac anyway.

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Great, thanks. I think I'll use the 70% - 100% volume.
A little more about Source Signal Clipping. When you overdrive your Source (iPhone, Mac, pc, Droid phone, ect) you induce distortion into the audio signal. This signal now contains distortion in it and when you feed that into your Amplification stage. The Amp doesn’t know or care, it’s job is to Amplify the signal. So you end up with Amplified distortion pushed to your speakers. The level of distortion will remain at all volume levels for the Amp. Another words the distortion is now baked in. Good luck sir.

One of the best things about this place is if I got any of the above wrong. Someone will be along shortly to Correct Me. You get Bonus points here for Correcting a Moderator! :cool:

dasdoing

Major Contributor
the output seams to be auto-sensing: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT212856

so it should output line-level at 100%.

now there exist 2 line levels: +4 dBu and -10 dBV

the Iloud has a switch for those, question is what the Mac uses, probably -10dBV

----

about distorsion: a line level should never distort.
now if it was head-phone level it could in theory exceed the maximum input level of the monitor (which should be above +4 dBu).

Lambda

Major Contributor
Most DACs have best performance at 100% or 0dB
same with my iphone.
I have no measurements to prove this but i assume its the same for a Mac book.

Tom C

Major Contributor
The only arguments I’ve ever seen advocating for software volume at 100% or 0dB are based on theory. In practice, there is some variability in the exact output voltage available from a DAC, and some variability in input sensitivity and headroom present in the receiving stage (pre-amp input, power amp input, or powered speaker input). There is also very significant variability in the volume levels of the recordings themselves. I find setting software volume on the player at 100% gives acceptable results most of the time, but there is an improvement to be had by setting the software volume slider of the player to, say, 75%. This helps a great deal with peaks and crescendos that would otherwise cause gain mismatch between the stages. Try it, if you never have, and if you think I’m full of it, suit yourself.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
what does actualy happen if you feed an amplified signal into another amp? let's say the first one is set to 20dBu, and the second one expects 4dBu. No question the second one will distort at some point. but if you keep it a low gain level, will it distort?

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
You get Bonus points here for Correcting a Moderator! :cool:
Is that like an extra 3 days vacation added to the 7 for p!ssing a Mod off in the first place? ;) :p :cool:

OK, kidding aside, I agree completely that you should run the output slightly below max. I usually go for 2-3 clicks under, and I always keep my ears open when streaming something... especially from YouTube. I always turn the Master Volume down when I start a video from there. (Have heard more than a few stories about people frying their gear with YT vids!) Same should apply to any streaming though. :)

Tom C

Major Contributor
No, as long as the level is low enough.
The signal level normally varies constantly.

Lambda

Major Contributor
agree completely that you should run the output slightly below max. I usually go for 2-3 clicks under,
Another audiosciencereview channel full of anecdotal forum knowledge

Never had any apple device distort at 0dB.
I’m waiting for any evidence / measurements.

The only arguments I’ve ever seen advocating for software volume at 100% or 0dB are based on theory.
Only on theory? this is audiosciencereview. if you can't provide any measurements theory is the best thing we have.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
No, as long as the level is low enough.
The signal level normally varies constantly.

if this was a reply to me you did contradict yourself, since as long as you keeping the gains in it's limit, the analog output voltage shouldn't matter.
now on the other hand I remember there have been badly designed DACs tested here that would distort at 100% volume. but that would be a fail, not the norm

Tom C

Major Contributor
It was a reply to you.
I‘m sorry, the contradiction is not clear to me. If you turn down the level on the first stage to below what the second is unable to handle, no distortion. As far as I can tell that is consistent with my experience and current practice.

DanielT

Major Contributor
My tip, start at the other end. Test how good you are at detecting differences. If you're lucky, you're not that good and don't have to worry too much. If so, turn up the gain/volume as you feel, listen to the music and enjoy it.

With that said, audible hum, noise, poorly grounded stuff can sound really bad. Stuff driven into clipping can sound awfully bad. You know small clock radio, a bad old car stereo and so on. That also sounds really bad.:oops:

Speakers, amp, digital..??:

Good distortion I leave to the musicians who play electric guitar to decide if they want to add as their artistic expression. Then it's perfectly fine. Sometimes then more than ok. What would we be without distorted howling electric guitars?:D:p:cool:

Lambda

Major Contributor
As I say, suit yourself.
Have you tried it?
Yes as i said non of my apple devices have worse THD+N at full volume.

Only device i have ist the UMC202HD and i fixed it.

Top Bottom